methods of input (Part 1)

There have been measurements on windows that put it at, say 50ms-ish for an xbox controller and 100ish for 8bitdo’s (this test of a dual analog snes style, wired, iirc, with oddly the same-ish numbers wireless) - but, they’ve also released a lot of controllers in a lot of batches. Plenty of people saying stuff like: totally unusable throw it in a dumpster, totally unusable until firmware updated and then wow now great, my fav ever out of the box, etc.

Anecdotally my standard 8bitdo sfc controller feels: fine, just fine, lag’s never stood out to me, never had any issues with input registering. I use a no-name external usb bluetooth dongle, on osx/windows.

I grabbed an M30

I quite like it, mostly the d-pad feels, uh, looser than an MD pad but tighter than a Saturn pad, but also that they’re comparable is good

it also has a D-input mode which means it technically, technically works with the PS3 except somehow nothing is mapped to the C-button/circle button, which is a deal killer for me, someone who angrily demands every game have jump mapped to C

felt good playing TFIV on Switch, had a few moments of input lag but I don’t know if that was the game or the controller. messed around with it in Windows over BT and didn’t have any issues other than Freedom Planet suddenly deciding it wasn’t going to accept input from any controller, randomly

by default, the d-pad emulates the left analog stick in a digital fashion but there’s no to change that unless you use something like the Steam controller mapping. I hear 8bitdo is going to update that and let you toggle between d-pad and stick

quickly plugging it into my main computer running W7 (the BT one runs 10), Windows doesn’t see any input in X-input mode but sees it fine in D-input mode so :boh:

(okay, actually, looking at the Windows controller test, I see why D-input is borked, it has C and Z bound to buttons 7 and 8 instead of the more logical 3 and 6, whoops)

1 Like

thank u fer ur service

I messed around with updating Xinput drivers and now I got it working wired on my 7 machine

if they fix that d-input stuff for PS3 use, I’m willing to slap the boring old 10/10 rating on the controller

1 Like

Well damn, this works perfectly. DS4s and arcade sticks on DC. Can even store 40 blocks worth of VMU data.

5 Likes

I’ve had much better luck with Brook converters than with competing brands. I’ve got some Mayflash PS3/4 to switch adapter that doesn’t work with my virtua stick high grade, but the Brook version handles it perfectly.

I don’t like this converter on the basis of the implication that the Dreamcast controller is anything else other than perfect

the dreamcast controller is offensively bad. the stick itself is literally the only upgrade from the saturn 3d pad, which is itself a partial downgrade in some regards from the normal japanese (and us mk. 2) saturn pads.

dreamcast controllers literally strongly contributed to my RSI

fuck the dc pad forever and ever and ever

7 Likes

Because android has been mentioned: is anyone here using a gamepad with an android device? What’s a good one? The dualshock 4 doesn’t seem to work well, I tried it with minecraft. That’s literally the only game I’d use a controller for on android but I’m still curious. Also, if anyone got the ds4 to work properly any tips are welcome

SF30Pro has worked OK for me.

1 Like

I use the newer bluetooth-capable Xbone controllers on android phones without any complaints. There’s prolly lag but IDGAF.

1 Like

I’ve used wired xbone and 360 controllers w android

1 Like

the dreamcast controller is the worst controller ever made. or at least the worst official controller

4 Likes

I am a twisted monster and the Dreamcast controller fits my hands like a glove

This is why I like the Steam controller, it’s like a fat DC pad

1 Like

I’ll say it’s definitely the most disappointing controller. I think the basic shape and layout is okay, and with some better contours, six face buttons and a traditional Sega-style D-pad it would have worked. Sadly, it came out as the Saturn 3D pad’s inbred cousin.

I wish this converter worked with the XBONE pad, given it’s the natural evolution of the DC pad.

1 Like

it’s also responsible for each OG Xbox controller having two memory card slots for no reason at all

3 Likes

ME AND MY HANDS :heart_decoration: THE DREAMCAST CONTROLLER

it’s so you can have a memory unit and a headset plugged in at the same time

have some imagination

Stowable Home Cockpit

Hard to the core

14 Likes

Disguising your power level

2 Likes