methods of input (Part 1)

A Select one

2 Likes

With the exception of the Steam controller, which I’ll chalk up to an obvious selection bias, this is also my ranking. Gimme a Gravis Gamepad before a DS4.

I love the DS4 but I hate re pairing it back and forth

2 Likes

I love the stories of people buying thousands of dollars of MTX on the Playstation store because they played a game while it was still paired. I don’t even understand how that should be possible!

1 Like

I’ve MonHunned so much recently the rubber has actually worn off my 360 left stick

1 Like

Switch Pro support is great because it has digital triggers and 99% of games are putting binary actions on triggers anyway and it has the double threat of having a gyro so I can use gyro aim (though setting up gyro aim on a stick instead of a touchpad is a pain)

with that said, using it hurts my brain because I keep it on Xinput layout but my brain will still read prompts, go “NINTENDO CONTROLLER DETECTED” and mash the opposite button, and, no, the option on the Steam configurator to switch the button layout only breaks my brain even worse

this reminds me, Brook makes a thing that turns the Xbone pad into a gyro-enabled DS4/Switch Pro controller and that just sounds like the most perfect thing ever

1 Like

I was hoping the Xbox elite pad would get a price cut or revision because I love paddles. Paddles should be the addition next time around, none of this touchpad bs.

no deal

we keep the touchpads and let people customize their experience

okay, one touchpad. no more touchpad-with-a-cross-grooved-into-it. that thing is an abomination and anyone who says it’s a good d-pad replacement should be hung and shot

I was thinking about the usurper of the select button on the DS4, but yeah no more ersatz trackballs.

the DS4 touchpad is pretty okay if you use it for large, sweeping motions (I don’t get how KZSF was a launch title and figured this out and so many other games fuck it up) and bad if you use it for anything else

also are we talking about how the Xbone is getting kinda-system wide KBM support

I read that it’s up to publishers/developers to support it in games, which is a bummer, but it goes hand-in-hand with the accessibility push.

between the Use Any Godamn Controller That You Want (Within Reason), freesync support and the almost anything goes app marketplace, the Xbone is closer to the ideal of PC-in-a-box than the OG ever was

I look forward to the continuing devaluing of my OG Xbone

i like the ds4 but mine is really nasty now, the triggers creak and the rubber wore off the left analogue about a year in

and the battery is really bad

that reminds me

dear companies

let me use my eneloops or put in big-ass batteries like when Nintendo stuck a 3DS battery in the Wii U Pro controller

I use a DS4 most of the time. I’d really like to pick up an XBONE pad but jfc they’re like $90AUD new, and used ain’t much better.

Hi! Im back from outerspace to post about an arcade stick improvement/mod I made.
Sega Genesis continues to be my home console, and I love shooters but Im bad at them. My main complaint is control and as Im a grouchy old man who will emulate literally anything except sega genesis I decided to do some thing about it.

I had heard a rumor that old mechanical neogeo arcade sticks fit perfectly in the body of the Arcade power stick (which I am a fan of). Wanting the very best in control and hoping things hadn’t changed too much I purchased a very nice 4 way gated sanwa stick and set to work on my arcade stick.
Before (stock photo):
pre_stick
The ball would not unscrew, leading to desperate measures:

The stnadoffs were milimeters off the stock holes on the arcade stick mounting plate so I widened the stock holes. I was very hopeful it would just fit at this stage.

It still did not fit, the body was too deep!!!

So using a dremel I ground the insides down! It still did not fit!

So I removed the mounting plate and ground the standoff all the way flat and opened up the stick opening on the arcade stick body. Then after carefully prepping the surfaces by sanding them, souring them with a knife and wiping down with brake cleaner I attached the stick permanently with the strongest 2 part epoxy I could find.

The wires almost matched but had some colors that were different. the correct pinout was (not pictured) to match by color with purple matching green.

The finished product! I love how the dust disk fits the opening bezel perfectly.

The shaft was too long on bottom by a hair less than the thickness of the steel under plate so a hole had to be cut for clearance. So far the stick has not been an issue on flat surfaces and even directly on carpet.

I’ve used this stick extensively since. the diagonal gate makes playing Landstalker worlds easier as well as the shooter improvements I was hoping for.
Ive used this stick to beat Magical Drop 5 on PC on all difficulties (its a terribly flawed implementation of magical drop)

Maybe Ill do the 6 button power stick next.

12 Likes
4 Likes

This makes me want to put arcade hardware in like every old console stick

2 Likes

I could make the classiest one of those Frogger TV game things!

1 Like

This is the Panther XL. The trackball is actually pretty nice and it works fairly well with Descent II, certainly much better than the Cyberman 3D.

6 Likes