methods of input (Part 2)

That’s just a rebranded dictation pedal. I’ve been using one for years with the foobar universal keyboard shortcuts for play assigned to the center, and skip track back and forward to the sides.

They show up at thrift stores from time to time. The only downside is the drivers are ancient and need to run in compatibility mode.

I like the screenshot idea.

I had originally bought it because I was hoping it could have some either gaming or audio production uses. It only works as an instantaneous action though. Holding down the pedal doesn’t register. Maybe this one is different?

8 Likes

to who ever asked yeah all the buttons on the face of the horii mini register in windows except the mysterious TP button at the very bottom.

1 Like

This is for your bunghole

5 Likes

My 3M vertical mouse started going on the fritz and scrolling wildly for a second every minute or so last week. So I switched to my backup 3M mouse that I have in a drawer in case this kind of thing happens. Now today I find that the middle mouse button on this replacement one is already busted, I can feel that it’s sunken in more than it should be and it sometimes doesn’t register releases.

These 3M mice are so shoddy and maybe getting even shoddier. They rarely last longer than a year or two, but failing a week in is a new one. I’m on my 8th one. Oh well, time to head over to Amazon and hand 3M corporation another $70

3 Likes

:frowning: i have had a good time and long life out of an elecom trackball and i hear good things about logitech’s ergo mx if you’re potentially interested in that route… curious if there are any viable competing brands for vertical mice. @doolittle ?

edit: looking at the 3M grip it does seem like a whole kinda device class to it’s own, hmm

I hope that’s enough rotary encoders.

3 Likes

The Anker vertical mouse has decent build quality for ~$30. @BustedAstromech has reported failures but neither of the two in my family have failed yet so ymmv. At any rate it’s cheaper than the 3M

The Logitech MX Vertical has nice silicone casing, USB-C, etc. but runs $99. The internal structure is very elaborate but under normal use it should hold up as well as any of the MX peripherals.

Neither are very similar to that 3M device, though

1 Like

there is… this

4 Likes

imagined literally slapping my hand before ordering it out of curiosity, only metaphorically slapped my hand

I’m curious about the relative merits of these “grip” mice vs the “handshake” posture on the mx vertical or Anker examples. I find my hands cramp when I’m holding a “Lego hand” shape and they prefer to be as neutral, but perhaps other people with different or no injury/pathology prefer these shapes? Or, if you’re merely alleviating wrist pain, the finger curling may not be an issue at all

vs.

4 Likes

It’s the little bow tie that really adds to the pervert feeling.

12 Likes

it looks like the rocker on the back of my HOTAS throttle

there’s also this one by Kinesis that’s sort of halfway but it’s always looked uncomfortable to me

3 Likes

had to look up hotas and found this cool 3d printed solution, its p neat as far a s stuff stuck to a controller goes

3 Likes

For me the big advantage of the 3M mouse shape is that I can rest my hand’s weight completely on the base and move it around with upper arm movements without lifting it off at all. It eliminates tension on the forearm muscles that are the only local ones I have pain in, and I also find it’s more relaxed in general, with no moment of “hovering ready to move”, helping ease my upper back pain.

It’s the only shape with that exact property though, I tried the superficially similar one you screencapped (I’ve tried all of them, since like I said the 3M is questionable and I keep thinking there’s something better), and they all tend to have a narrow/curved enough base that my hand slips off.

3 Likes

peep this v1 thread gem, tremendous vibes

3 Likes

he has a new masterpiece

7 Likes

right bumper on my second xbox elite 2 has died
the left one died on the last one
please do better, megacorporation

4 Likes

Last week I received and built the Treasure type-9 macropad I ordered like two years ago during the early days of the pandemic. It’s immensely heavy and extremely shiny… it came with a little microfiber cloth I am now using to clean my glasses, haha. Pictured here on its own in good outside lighting, and next to the first macropad I built during the pandemic.

I built both of these macropads primarily in order to have good 8-way directional movement while playing my absolute favorite video game, Caves of Qud, which is a turn based roguelike with grid movement that I have been playing for the better part of a decade. I hate full size keyboards, but love traditional roguelikes… my constant struggle I suppose!! Qud has “laptop controls” which use keys in the J-K region for movement, but that layout is absolutely wild and I need two hands to use it correctly.

For the new macropad, I currently have one layer set up with the numpad, for movement control, and another layer set up with media control buttons. The numpad layer does not have Num5 assigned, so I can transition between layers with the center key.

When it comes to directional movement in qud, I prefer having just the directional movement on the numpad… I decided last year that putting the keys for inventory, character, throwing objects, firing guns, etc. on the larger numpad was a little too much.

13 Likes

This thing I bought at Target is dying so what’s the wired xbox controller to get for general windows use

3 Likes

Series S/X controller and just use it with a cord if you want to

they were $40 when they first came out but I guess they raised the price

5 Likes