methods of input (Part 1)

761 Likes, 12 Comments - Handheld Obsession (@handheldobsession) on Instagram: “Oh hell yeah it’s time to play!!! #retrogaming #retrogames #vintagegaming #nintendo #gameboy…”

4 Likes

Dunk Stars and soccerfootball are shit games and tennis, aside from being ported by itself to the Dreamcast for some reason, is superseded by a dozen other perfectly playable arcade tennis games with accessible ports or modern entries

It looks like the Capcom stick cant be used as a controller? WTF?

The Shika looks really fabulous.
Could prolly clone that using some bamboo cutting boards and a router…

1 Like
4 Likes

please note that past me is an idiot and in testing what buttons were what in the SVC version of MWIV, managed to bind every button except R1

it works fine, though I haven’t tested if the d-pad stuff from the newest firmware works outside of Switch mode

within like a half hour i knew I needed a second one

13 Likes

Oooh. looks really nice. Is that easily PC compatible?

Very compatible. Gets recognized as an Xbox pad over USB. If you want wireless on PC you’re better off going with the bluetooth version, though. I tried getting the 2.4g dongle working in a Mayflash adapter, but no dice.

I’ve heard that the d-pad is mapped as an analog stick by default in pc mode. Anyone know if that is true? Or maybe I’m thinking of the retro-bit controllers.

It is supposed to work with switch over usb as well. I should try that with the sega ages collection.

Anyway, I love my 2.4ghz version as a genesis controller. Absolutely fantastic. If you are trying to decide between 2.4g and bluetooth, according to some tests the bluetooth version is laggier. But of course the bluetooth version has better wireless compatibility.

I’ve got the BT model and it defaults to emulating the left stick through the dpad but the updated firmware lets you reassign it to either stick or the dpad. it also works with anything that can take DInput, so I’ve used it with my phone wirelessly and my PS3 wired

my main complaint about the BT model is that it’s not available in white like the 2.4ghz model is

OKAY EVERYBODY LISTEN UP

Here’s the lowdown on the 8bit do:

• The game doesn’t only boot as Xinput. If you turn the power off (hold the start button), then hold start plus B, it turns on as direct input. This works as direct input if you do it before plugging it into PC. Same with Xinput mode, which you boot by holding start + X

• The d-pad is mapped to the analog stick by default. However, you can switch the input to each stick and d-pad by holding down select (minus) plus the corresponding d-pad direction for a few seconds.
    Minus + Up = d-pad
    Minus + Left = left stick
    Minus + Right = right stick
    this works for every input type, and I tested it on switch, PC with Dinput, and with Xinput on Tekken 7. Also, holding Minus + Y (I think) swaps the X/Y and A/B positions, so that you can comfortably map the buttons to their actual positions on Switch/Xinput.

Hope this helps

9 Likes

ferrets droppin’ the knowledge, damn

1 Like

yeah its frustrating that this doesn’t come in the manual

UPDATE: it does! Specifically for the Bluetooth version of the pad: http://download.8bitdo.com/Manual/Controller/M30/M30_Manual.pdf

I’ve been trying the d-pad mapping combos on my 2.4g and unfortunately it looks like it doesn’t work. I do get a red LED instead of a green one if I connect to my PC with Start + B though, but it still registers as an Xbox pad.

Whoah, now that’s interesting. I wonder if the API layer from the controller added enough of cycle that they cut it to get the latency as quick as possible on the 2.4g version.

Yeah, I thought there might be a remapping option but when I looked at the firmware updates for the 2.4g version I didn’t see anything mentioning it. Hopefully they’ll add this to a future 2.4g firmware update.

I don’t own an SNES Classic, but I did a little digging and learned that people have called Nintendo reps before claiming to have “lost” one of their controllers and getting a replacement for $9.99 (closer to $17 with shipping and taxes).

So I did that.

I’ve got a Magic-NS that should work OK for connecting to the Switch so long as I’m willing to hook the SNES pad into a Wii remote, but I’ll probably spring for the most well-regarded USB adapter, which costs roughly twice as much as the controller itself.

If this ends up not working for Mario Maker 2 I’ll be sad, and then I guess I’ll emulate stuff.

3 Likes

So it turns out the Raphnet USB adapters aren’t compatible with the Switch (as confirmed by the Raphaël Assénat himself), but their Classic-to-GameCube adapter does work through Nintendo’s official GameCube™ Controller Adapter. 8BitDo also has a wireless adapter as well as a Bluetooth mod kit.

None of these things seem much better than going through the Wii Remote and Magic NS, but I want to believe somebody someday will come up with something that is.

did you know that, I think, basically all of 8bitdo’s pads work on the Switch?

I can’t tell if those are any good. Pretty much every positive retro controller review I’ve read is “This is the best controller ever; D-pad’s a bit iffy though” and that doesn’t square.

1 Like