methods of input (Part 1)

The only Retro-Bit product I have ever owned was their dreadful NES to USB adapter. It had really bad input lag.

iā€™m digging the look of this round boy

they got a white one too, neat

4 Likes

you got me all excited but the white one doesnā€™t seem to have a BT version up for order yet

I have one of Retrobitā€™s old Saturn usb pads and all I can say is that I only paid $6 for it. Worst case scenario is that theyā€™re just slapping a Sega logo on it. The companyā€™s been reusing old molds from the get go, but I donā€™t think itā€™s ever been above the board previously.

That white one is gorgeous

fuck these pads, iā€™m more interested in repairing the og saturn pads i already have and using an adapter. only issue is i think the shoulder buttons require light soldering and i donā€™t have a tool for that! i need a soldering gun, damn it

Why the hell is Cool Skeleton called Slate Gray?

1 Like

Hmmā€¦ these might be good. Certainly donā€™t want to spend the $60 for the refurbs on eBay which are now 10+ years old. My USB Saturn pads still work but itā€™s really uncertain for how much longerā€¦

yeah, the a button on my sls pad is definitely not going to last forever, so iā€™m putting a lot of hope into these being good

As I recall, 8bitdo got a bit of shade here from @fortninety (I think?) for having poor quality batteries in some of their early models. Beyond that I havenā€™t heard anything overly negative about them.

In this case, out of the two, Iā€™d be more willing to go with 8bitdoā€™s attempt.

RE: repairing Saturn pads, on occasion you can find batches of replacement rubber membranes on eBay for about $8-10 USD. Theyā€™re the most common point of failure, and the only other way to get them is to cannibalize/salvage them from other pads. Canā€™t say Iā€™ve had the shoulder buttons ever go on one, but itā€™s good to know you can get the little clickers too.

1 Like

Fort posted on twitter they tried them and thought they were good. That someone else on twitter said they are the same except not clicky L-R uhhh welll.

That is a pretty big not the same yo.

2 Likes

The worst 8Bitdo controller is apparently the N64 pad they did in collaboration with Retrobit, which, hmm.

I can crack open one of those 8Bitdo Genesis pads soon and let yā€™all know how they physically feel. Wonā€™t get to see how they operate until my Mega Sg ships in a month or so.

That said Iā€™ve also got one of those 8Bitdo USB adapters soā€¦maybe that will work? Or do these pads not use Bluetooth?

1 Like

Iā€™ll also just remind everyone here that getting an original Saturn pad plus a mayflash usb adaptor is a perfectly reliable and not exorbitant option if the native usb ones donā€™t turn out well or remain expensive

3 Likes

The ones for the Mega SG are not Bluetooth, but a Bluetooth version is offered.

Youā€™re not wrong, but those pads have a shelf-life too. Though ironically I would guess that older tech will actually last longer than most of our newer tech.

I own two 8bitdo SFC controllers. One is absolutely perfect, and the other has a vague d-pad.

Yeah, this is an issue thatā€™s pretty widespread from what I can tell, but the fix is apparently buying binder re-enforcement stickers at an office supply store and putting them around the contacts for each D-pad direction

1 Like

Doesnā€™t 8BitDo stuff have heaps of input lag too?

The clicky shoulder buttons were my least liked part about the original Saturn pad (that and maybe hitting diagonals too easily in Elevator Action Returns) so that sounds like an improvement to me.

I honestly refuse to believe that the entirety of the retro gaming scene would be going gaga for 8bitdo if their controllers had significant input lag. The only reports Iā€™ve seen have been when playing on Android phones, which leads me to believe that Android has a shitty Bluetooth stack, not that the controllers have any issues themselves.

1 Like

I have a couple of those 8BitDo DIY kits, a SNES one and a NES one. Thereā€™s noticeable input lag in windows, the d-pad is weird about diagonals, and you have to press the buttons way too hard for a press to be registered for my taste. Itā€™s a shame because itā€™s SUCH A COOL IDEA.

Also if you ever have a problem with an 8bitdo device, youā€™re better off contacting a spirit medium than you are their support channels. The support page on their website might as well just be a big marquee tag saying ā€œget bentā€

2 Likes