Memorable moments in otherwise forgettable games

http://horror.dreamdawn.com/?p=7467

1 Like

I remember loving the entire first level and hub world of the Star Trek Voyager shoot-em-up, Elite Force:

Okay by modern standards it looks pretty shitty, but when the demo first came out, this was a really nicely done Borg cube environment, and awesome recreation of the Voyager set.

Also really enjoyed getting beamed into a mission, like you see at 33:47

Huh, I think this looks really good. Due to the simplicity of Star Trek set design for Federation ships, those parts still look really good, to me. Especially considering the year of release. A lot of games at that time were still using Quake II derivatives or engines of that approximate visual quality.

According to the wiki, this is the first game to use Id Tech 3 (besides Quake III, which released the same year) and it shows. It looks really clean. Has notably better texture resolution and clarity. Overall lighting is more natural. Neat character shadows. Lip syncing. Id Tech 3 was a great engine and was used for a long time.

I wanna play this!

1 Like

Does every Star Trek video game evoke the kobiashi Maru?

I forget if I posted in here already, but I think the final challenge in 999 would definitely qualify.

After you go through all the visual novel stuff and arrive at the great moment of truth, the final challenge is revealed to be a sudoku puzzle. While it technically fits with the focus the game has on the number nine, when it came up I just burst out laughing for a good minute or so.

4 Likes

Maybe not Klingon Honor Guard? Since I assume it has less to do with the Federation.

1 Like

My friend and I played the hell out of multiplayer on this on his LAN in his bedroom and it was my first real experience with user-made maps. The best ones were all these maps where you were running around in like, Giant Kitchen, or Giant Bathroom

1 Like

Oh yeah that’s a good one. It’s equally mind blowing plot-wise and fucking hilarious tone-wise.

ssx has a complex audio effects system for user-imported music that will probably never show up in another EA game again because spotify. this shit was so cool with footwork music and death grips
7 Likes

Also that you have to do it upsidedown on the DS a system that had been made on the back of Brain Age. One of the best final bosses of a system.

I played through Kirby’s Dreamland 2 last night and was pretty surprised how boring I found it, especially compared to the original. The only memorable thing is this (NSFW!!!)

8 Likes

For anyone interested, I made videos about the two Mac games Rouse developed:

4 Likes

I played through DIVER’S DREAM the last few days, it’s a pretty fun game but nothing really stands out except one level which looks and sounds like Silent Hill and there are gigantic lobsters that chase you around.

Apologies for the commentator, but it’s the only video online (which is annoying because you can’t hear the music very well)

This is the only screenshot I could find of it and it sadly misses half the dialogue, but in Kid Kool when you run out of lives you appear in front of the king as an angel and apologize for dying and not finishing your mission, the king being rather understanding and forgiving.

6 Likes

死ぬことは仕方がない

1 Like

The king here looks a lot like John Arbuckle.

2 Likes

honestly thought this was some weird kid icarus/garfield mashup at first

4 Likes

The visual design of the pigs in Paper Mario 2.

paper_mario_2_pig

(I found the first Paper Mario memorable.)

Edit: Oh, so that’s why I had an odd feeling that I’d already posted this. Excuse the redundancy.

6 Likes

I’m happy to share your opinion that N64 Paper Mario is the good one!

and Cubivore really is the bee’s knees, a top five game for me due to idiosyncratic reasons

4 Likes

the Gamecube one is bloated but there’s still a lot of fun stuff in there

it was like the last time Intelligent Systems was still overall good before Awakening

2 Likes