Mega Drive Most Wanted

this ruined the whole thing for me. Thanks SEGA

so apparently, it’s not the super-rare mega drive tetris, but an all-new port with better controls and music

@stavekoff vf2 isn’t on the jp mini, but yuu yuu hakusho, an actual good fighting game is. if you’re not super-bothered about the rpgs (and most of them are on the ps4 mega drive collection anyway), i’d go for the jp version.

1 Like

lol owned

13 Likes

if i do get one im def getting jp. im just not sure i can drop 70 bux so easily

in the alt universe where I have money, I’ve already pre-ordered this for Monster World IV

So yeah, just getting the JPN version because hell if I want even more copies of games I don’t even want one coy of (yes, Genesis Virtua Fighter 2, you managed to out Vectorman Vectorman).

1 Like

So is Tetris a new Tetris game or is it the infamous port of Sega Tetris that they made and shipped and then Henk Rogers showed up and went “I don’t think so, Tim” and destroyed most of the copies with his laser vision

it’s new

Full stream

The Asian version gets Alien Soldier

1 Like

6 Likes

Okay, so the Asian version might actually be the best one to import

• Alien Soldier
  • Alisa Dragoon
  • Assault Suit Leynos (Target Earth)
  • Castle of Illusion
  • Castlevania: Bloodlines
  • Columns
  • Comix Zone
  • Contra: Hard Corps
  • Darius
  • Ghouls & Ghosts
  • Golden Axe
  • Gunstar Heroes
  • Landstalker
  • Langrisser 2
  • Mega Man: The Wily Wars
  • Monster World IV
  • MUSHA Aleste: Fullmetal Fighter Ellinor
  • OutRun 2019
  • Phantasy Star IV
  • Puzzle & Action: Tant-R
  • Puyo Puyo (from which Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine is derived)
  • Puyo Puyo Tsu
  • Road Rash 2
  • SEGA Game Series Value Edition (Game no Kanzume Otokuyou)*
  • Shining Force
  • Shining Force II
  • Slap Fight
  • Snow Bros.
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • Space Harrier II
  • Streets of Rage 2
  • Strider
  • Super Fantasy Zone
  • Sword of Vermilion
  • Tetris
  • The Revenge of Shinobi
  • The Story of Thor (aka Beyond Oasis)
  • Thunder Force III
  • Wonder Boy in Monster World
  • World of Illusion
  • Wrestleball
5 Likes

Shit they’re cribbing from my D&D notes

They’re including all regional variants for each game on each version of the mini as well right? So besides the Japan only games, the Japan/Asian version should have the english versions too

1 Like

is anyone working on a translation for hybrid front?

Nebulous Translations is, and while I haven’t seen an ETA, they announced it a year ago and have been belting out other Mega Drive strategy games, so I would say it’s probably looking good.

2 Likes

I never heard of Alien Soldier. At first I thought it was Alien Storm. It looks cool!

It’s good.
It’s a great big boss rush game. You can counter hits Street Fighter 3 style.
If someone hacked in easier weapon switching Alien Soldier would be one of my favorite games.

1 Like

I got one of these yesterday. It’s good.

The version of Tetris that comes with it is quite anxiety-inducing. Something about the music makes it feel more neverwracking than usual (also, configure the controls before playing).

Light Crusader is dead center on the back of the box. Somehow (read: I don’t know how) I missed the memo that it was an included game. So far I’ve beaten the first floor of the dungeon area… and I kind of think that the game Kinda Almost Actually Owns. It has a charming jankiness that we barely deserve.

The part of the opening cutscene introducing the hero uses the Gunstar Heroes’ interlaced scrolling clouds as the background.

You can push objects and NPCs just by walking into them. Naturally, the first thing I did was rearrange the throne room to put the cat in its proper place.

“Attack” and “talk” are mapped to the same context-sensitive button. If for some reason you accidentally manage to hit an NPC, an “OOPS!” will pop up from them in place of damage numbers.

To buy items at shops you have to jump on the counter and touch the items.

In the starting village, if you jump at the corner between the edge of a map and the edge of a building, you can just float indefinitely as long as you hold forward.

There is a woman in town who plays absolutely dreadful piano music if you talk to her, and the coward that made the .vgm rip didn’t include it in the soundtrack.

To enter the first dungeon you have to hit a particular gravestone from a particular side (there’s a visual clue) to open up a hole in the ground (also has a visual clue). I wasted a good chunk of time trying to figure that out.

Enemies drop a wide variety of health restoring foodstuffs. You can use them in the menu, but they also seem to work (semi?) automatically.

On the status screen, your current and max HP are separated by a . instead of a / (like this “69.100” instead of “47/100”). weird

The first shop you can sell items to is in a hidden room in the first dungeon (spoilers: charming) and is run by a cat. The cat first says “MEOW”. If you talk to it again it says “MEOW” with a yes/no prompt, and then it pulls up a menu with your inventory.

You have 4 basic magic spells that can be combined like Gunstar Heroes. Also, you have a sort of aerial dive attack that kind of feels like it came out of Gunstar Heroes, except it’s context sensitive and weirdly finicky.

The doors in the dungeons swing open with a sort of unnerving smoothness, almost like there is some sort of actual 3D rendering going on.

In addition to the sort of block pushing puzzles I was expecting from the game, the game also has a puzzle early on where you have to push a box across a bridge that you can spin around by pushing it. It’s a weirdly “physics-object-ish” puzzle for a game of this vintage.

Both boss fights I’ve done felt really messy and choatic, but manageable. (The semi-automatic healing items help a bit.) The first fight is against a weird sponge thing that spits out a lot of balls. The second fight is against a flying multi-jointed dragon whose neck and tail were made out of balls. (I’m sensing a pattern.)

The soundtrack is by Aki Hata and it shows. Some pretty good, characteristically weird stuff here imo.

I haven’t played Landstalker yet so I can’t compare it to this, but this game has been fun so far. (I’ll let y’all know when I inevitably ragequit.) Please feel free to offer your dissenting opinions.

10 Likes

I really really tried to get into Light Crusader, but the finickiness of the box pushing puzzles and the janky combat eventually turned me off. Might have to give it another shot sometime in the future

1 Like