masochysteria

still upset at how eating in a cutscene essentially voided the possibility of a vegetarian run of Snake Eater

10 Likes

I’ve done this with Dark Souls 1 and 2. DON’T DO IT WITH 2. The i-frames are dependent on stats, so there’s a lot more bullshit.

However, a fun challenge for DS2 is exploiting the new weight limits. Use light/no armor and carry as many items as you can while still slow rolling. I got most of the way through the game before getting distracted by something else, but I’d like to do a full run one day. Eventually, I’d also like to do SL1 runs with Demon’s, DS3, and Bloodborne.

I’ve also beaten Metro 2033 with only Military-Grade Ammo (aka currency) on Ranger Hardcore, though I suspect that isn’t that hard. I even learned the perfect stealth routes after a few playthroughs. I did a pacifist run on Last Light, but that’s supported by the achievements.

3 Likes

Back when I played God Hand somewhat regularly, probably 2009, I did a no-death run of God Hand on hard mode. I think the most interesting thing that stricture affected was planning out statistical upgrades – mostly leveling up the healthbar – in coordination with what my status might be. It took a fews days, but it was doable.

I did try the Kick Me Sign challenge on hard mode and gave up on the floating pyramid stage. You can’t use the stage’s geography to your advantage in any meaningful way outside of dashing from one extent to the other, and the mobs’ lethalness only increases with each successive wave, culminating in one of those nightmare katana guys.

1 Like

Over in music game land, it’s not uncommon for people to intentionally try to time badly and get all goods in IIDX or something. For IIDX in particular, this can lead to weird things like having a score of 0, grade of F, but full combo on a song.

2 Likes

That’s the craziest darn thing I ever did hear.

nuzlocke

did sOMEBODY SAY GRIFFIN MCELROY

3 Likes

One time i started Dark Souls as a cleric and made it my goal to beat the catacombs before anything else, using just the Astora Straight Sword. i also didnt use any of the bonfires in the catacombs. It was really tough and really fun! i stopped playing shortly after i defeated Pinwheel.
SL1 runs of Dark Souls are more of a skill test, and you can futz with pyromancy and armor upgrades to get a bit of an edge. i haven’t tried a Demon’s Souls SL1 run yet but apparently, it’s very different. Involves a lot more stealthing around and kind of puzzle solving your way through combat encounters.

i recently did a Nuzlocke of Pokemon Crystal that was also a heavily randomized ROM. Got a Kangaskhan as a starter and ended up with a pretty wild team.

Usually when i replay Link’s Awakening, i go for the secret ending where Marin is reborn as a seagull. You have to beat the whole game without dying. Pretty easy if you always keep a Crazy Tracy medicine on you, and even easier if you’re playing DX and can use one of the alternate tunics. The DX version of the ending scene is also more poignant (the original is just goofy)

4 Likes

Speaking of the catacombs in DS1, does it count when you end up doing these things accidentally? I didn’t go right away to the catacombs my first time through, but I did end up going through without having any holy or whatever weapon trait it is that keeps skeletons down even before you take out the local necromancers, just because I forgot/didn’t notice the dialogue advising you not to do that shit. That said, the area is obviously made to support it, given the long falls and the skeletons’ tendency to make wild leaps and rolls at you.

Similarly, the first time I played Castlevania: Circle of the Moon, I toughed it out through the area that’s filled with blood that damages you as it was, because I didn’t notice the entrance to the area that you go through that ends with you flipping the switch or whatever that turns the blood into non damaging water.

2 Likes

I saw a few people do single-character screenshot runs of the old NES Final Fantasies and thought that was pretty funny, mainly because it just means the other three characters are KO’d for the entire thing and you have like 40 pages of the same three supine dead guys just gliding through the game world before eventually climbing into the boss castle and destroying God. Mystical Corpse Adventure http://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-II-(by-Camel-Pimp)/Update%2006/

4 Likes

http://www.sullla.com/FF/finalfantasy.html
this dude has attempted to beat FF5, solo, with every character class. It definitely seems like a masochistic venture.

1 Like

I had no idea this existed!

1 Like
1 Like

I ALSO DID NOT KNOW THIS WAS A THING wow wow what the hell[quote=“Hojulas, post:12, topic:3203”]
holy or whatever weapon trait it is that keeps skeletons down even before you take out the local necromancers
[/quote]

Also did not know this was a thing, but less surprising. I did a lot of running past skeletons or, my favorite, kicking them off a cliff so they can’t get to you anymore.

The World Ends With You has a bunch of systems for self-imposed challenges - specificially, you can artificially lower your level and also increase enemy levels. It does increase your rewards though, so that’s not really in the spirit huh?

I started a no death no checkpoint no upgrade speed run of Shovel Knight but I didn’t get past like, plague knight I think. Too hard.

My favorites are things like playing wearing a blindfold, or with your feet, or other stuff that’s outside of the game itself.

Also, randomizers are sort of a self-imposed challenge. ACMLM does a lot of Link to the Past randomized runs, which are pretty neat.

Beating the first Zelda without picking up the sword - another neat one.

1 Like

I guess little me was the best at video games because I thought the Marin seagull ending was just the regular ending

:sunglasses:

5 Likes

throw me in with the “surprised about zelda” pile

i’m in the i knew that about link’s awakening obviously pile

Only ever played DX. That regular GB Marin-seagull ending is amazingly dopey.

I probably wouldn’t even understand what it was doing if I didn’t know what the DX version does.

Which I do, 'cause my second time through I made a point of doing a zero-death run and was very happy to discover that.