marathon (20XX)

no… the season they teased as titanfall fanservice was just a character that rigged missile launchers on her back and can hover/fly to redeploy with her ult

they did have an LTO mode with wallrunning that made clear it would work on a technical level and also raise the skill ceiling more than they wanted

maybe the reason i’m taking this game so well is i’ve given up on titanfall 3 after four years of apex

5 Likes

i’m just burned on PVP FPS where they progressively dilute the gameplay to introduce more and more monetization features and games-as-service type stuff

i don’t know how far in that direction this will go but it does make me wary, albeit i trust bungie way more than most devs. but like fortnite apex siege valorant etc etc… have all moved in that direction to various degrees and idk i can’t sink my life into such games, there’s the capitalist slime all over em yknow

i love CS and obv CS is monetized AF but the fact it’s cosmetics and those cosmetics are relatively inoffensive (gun skins that preserve the base models, etc) keeps it tolerable for me. some of the stupid agent skins are toeing the line on that tho

this is what gamer dudes consider ‘good’

image image

much prefer the char design of what we’ve seen from marathon so far, looks like gay people in exoskeletons, much cooler 2 me

9 Likes

happy about the trans people in senior creative positions on this, good to see the culture is actually improving there

20 Likes

in its senescence i’m tired of the fantasy stuff in destiny (pelts, swords, medieval armor, etc.) so i’m excited that this project appears to be predominated by artists as a discipline with strong direction

8 Likes

i love the medieval junk in d2 precisely because it’s so incongruous

4 Likes

also there’s so much you can learn about human sociology from tarkov-alikes. ambushes, traps, roving bandit gangs trying to turn you into their human pack mule, etc. there’s important information in these games you’ll want to know for the future

9 Likes

rusty

3 Likes

14131 copy

6 Likes

Marathon ARG - Google Docs

4 Likes

hell yeah! i was bummed when destiny didn’t have an ARG this year. my favorite was the beyond light CE that came with a journal with pages physically torn out and unique codes we had to put into a site for image files we had to assemble to reform the pages

the best in-game one was corridors of time, where we have to get a critical mass of data submissions from people taking screenshots. think like, borges’ lost woods

3 Likes

I heard that there are Flatpaks for the Marathon trilogy, but I can’t find these online. I’d love to get these on my Steam Deck. Anyone have the flatpak files around? I’m a linux dummy so this seems like the easiest route to getting the games playable for me.

2 Likes

this looks like the place

and here are the wad-equivalents

https://alephone.lhowon.org/scenarios.html

2 Likes

I gotta figure out how to install these hmm

1 Like

It looks like the flatpak automatically downloads the data files, you don’t have to put anything into any directories.

i did

flatpak install Marathon-20230119.flatpak

and then

flatpak run org.bungie.source.Marathon

and Marathon started up on my laptop

looks like each game in the series is its own flatpak

2 Likes

I’ll give it a shot, ty!

1 Like

I guess if this gets more people playing real Marathon then there could be a silver lining to this whole thing

2 Likes

they better hire Gianni to do the voice of Durandal

2 Likes

sounds like Harlan Ellison doing AM in I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream

2 Likes

wow i do not like this voice for durandal at all! so nerdy! i hope they just use the raspuitin voice/effect from destiny

that is true though everyones gonna have a voice now. thats definitley my biggest curiosity

4 Likes

Gianni is everywhere now too. Almost a Nolan North saturation.

I begging game companies to not have voice acting in their games

4 Likes