marathon (20XX)

3 Likes

I live to fight, I bet I never play an FPS campaign again in my life, I bet I’d love this shit when it comes out, remember when I played Dark and Darker with GandalfTheGay and AnalOnlyAmos? I do, I had a great time, looking forward to having an exponentially better time playing with strange perverts in a game that actually looks good.

10 Likes

i’m reading a synopsis on evildead.fandom.com to figure out if releasing the deadites is like, getting everyone pumped up

3 Likes

I’ll give it a shot, Marathon outweighs the PvP stuff.

1 Like

It’s bad. It’s a curse. You let them out and they never go away

3 Likes

this sounds good to me! i like marathon and i like competitive multiplayer!

i think the “extraction shooter” is a legit solid base to build a game off of. my friend and i dabbled in COD:DMZ earlier this year and it was consistently wild and wacky and a pretty good time. it’s a great co-op experience – the AI put up enough resistance to make objectives tricky and the other players (with potentially very different objectives than you) just inject a bunch of tension and chaos.

on a particularly memorable game i killed someone on a moving train only to have their teammates start chasing the train on 4 wheelers desperately trying to revive their friend. my buddy and i were throwing grenades and shooting out the back cackling while they struggled to catch up. they were ramping off hills while desperately trying to dodge our shots (and the shots of the countless AI-controlled characters we passed) but ended up careening into a river and that’s the last we saw of them. was cinematic, goofy, hilarious fun.

10 Likes

detecting a lot more Simon Stålenhag than anyone else from the art we’ve seen

12 Likes

(images from christopher barrett’s twitter
https://twitter.com/cgbarrett/status/1661490352069709825?s=20

https://twitter.com/cgbarrett/status/1661493519398338561?s=20)

8 Likes

Yeah, we’re playing in this wheelhouse, but I think it feels fresher because they’re abandoning -

• a connection or juxtaposition against familiar buildings, nature
  • a cool, desaturated blue or green palette meant to evoke mid-70s film stock

and in return, we’re going hyper-bright, hyper-plastic

10 Likes

https://twitter.com/headfallsoff/status/1661510152770420743

this mite b cool idk i also wish for single player campaign. enough pvp against teabag teenage racist transphobes. enough fortnite. ive never played tarkov but interesting concept i guess, it just sounds like another way to make ‘games as a service’

3 Likes

i’m really glad they announced this today or i’d be pissed they’re bringing cayde back for the final shape. only speak to me in the form of hostile computers! no firefly actors!!

11 Likes

I think I have just enough cynicism that a single-player game sounds a lot worse. Is there anything a modern Bungie can say in single-player that can touch or expand on the completely out-of-phase level design style of Marathon? They would never be willing to be so hostile at this budget level, and they don’t have any tradition to pull on. That Marathon is as done as it can be.

I’d be just as cynical about a remake. Changing the artwork that doesn’t need to be changed doesn’t add anything.

So what does Marathon add to this? Why couldn’t it be a new world? I think they’ve been building their writing team into a place where they can do this again, I think their culture is ready to play with these narrative values in a way they absolutely couldn’t at any time past Halo. The game structure they’re proposing, just like Destiny, lives on what they can build into the world and its values towards the player. Most of it is the ground they lay before it ships.

I don’t think Marathon brings them an interesting world history or set of characters but it brings them a set of values - teasing, manipulative, alienating. If they’re serious about those values it’s the best way to start this.

8 Likes

the art looks cool, am a sucker for stuff that looks like cy_borg , narratively it sounds like they’re going for “what if destiny had the game concept of eve online” aka persistent world gameplay creating lore etc… but what made this work for eve was single shard aka the fact that everyone ‘lived’ in the same persistent universe and weren’t splintered into different instances… and i really doubt that’s going to be the case here, your matches or games whatever will be walled off from the rest of the world most likely, so i wonder how they will make this narrative connection between distant players actually work

2 Likes

Marathon(s I - Infinity) was the first FPS i ever did deathmatches in - my childhood friend’s dad was “in computers” (have no idea what his actual career was) and so they had a basement with two to three Macs where we’d just play for hours. so even though i think most people remember the series for its narrative and campaign, it’s mostly a multiplayer game in my mind

8 Likes

i don’t expect it’ll be emergent like eve at all — the way it’s worked in destiny is they build out secret levels and weapons and tuck access to them away in forgotten corners of the map or gate them behind e.g. the first players to accomplish a goal or an ARG we collaborate on outside of the game. it’s a cheat; not truly emergent because it has the designer’s authorship, but the surprise and collaboration is exciting. i could see myself loading into a match with a team that just wants to go poking around for secrets, or hearing about something in a corner of the map no one’s figured out and giving it a shot

5 Likes

I’m very happy that so long as they’re dipping back into Marathon they’re not trying to pull off another classic single-player campaign.

7 Likes

I’m cautiously optimistic about this. I sounds like Destiny without any grind, and that sounds hella awesome to me.

1 Like

yeah i honestly appreciate that this isn’t a single player campaign in some sense, i think busted and shrug put it well. the original marathon trilogy is free and open source and no one can touch it, if you aren’t interested in the new one you can safely ignore it as like apocrypha given that it’s such a wildly different direction, i think that attitude is a little harder to take towards like, halo for instance where there was an attempt to continue the series in earnest or whatever in the same format. if the narrative turns out to be good and compelling and adds something worthwhile to the mountain of lore and backstory of the original trilogy then you can interact with it exclusively through like text completely outside of the game the way people have with the original games basically for decades now. it still feels like grave robbing and i cannot let go of my cynicism about it but i honestly think the worse sin would be to try to make marathon four or a remake or something, i don’t think anyone wants that and at least they had the good sense not to take that route

to its benefit i think it might be the first one of these games i’ve seen that i don’t think is just totally aesthetically repugnant, and it’s maybe a way to take all of the good ideas they’ve put into destiny and place them into a new game without the years of baggage that constitute a huge barrier to entry. i also think there’s lots of thematic and narrative ideas in marathon that are well worth reviving/reexamining/reinterpreting, like basically every game bungie has made from halo onwards has had some preoccupation with marathon and it definitely piques my interest that they’re going back to engage with the ideas in those games in a more direct way. if we’re being generous we could take the name to be a statement of intent rather than like, a totally cynical retread and maybe that’s at least a little the truth because no one in the general gaming public knows what marathon is at all anyways, it’s not like it has some kind of massive brand recognition

also despite like how fraught live service games are i think the tarkov extraction thing has genuine potential as other people have made a case for. as a former dota addict i have a soft spot for games that are like, on the surface one thing (in dota’s case a sweaty 5v5 multiplayer game, in marathon’s case a battle royale or whatever) but also another thing (in dota’s case a condensation of the like rpg/mmo power curve into a 40ish minute experience, in marathon’s case a co op narrative shooter or whatever); i think these kinds of like layered genre things are interesting and have real worth to them despite their onerous position as live service games

also i find the art and art direction and cyber psychedelia genuinely thrilling and think it all fits marathon very well, and i find like the bits of teaser lore text they’ve scattered in the promo material somewhat promising, and also even though the vidoc was hot nothing i appreciated that they drew attention to fashion as like a core thing in the game because all i care about in games like this is whether or not i can play dress up and it seems like i can. anyways all that’s to say is i guess i’m willing to hear them out, it would be cool if it turns out to be good and if not oh well, as the reigning forum marathon multiplayer champion i guess i’m obligated to play it anyways

16 Likes

I’d check this out but it’s probably going to be current gen only so I won’t be checking it out any time soon, by which point it will likely evolve into a different game and there’ll be no way to experience it “from the start” like people who got in at the beginning and stayed with it got to experience it.

Basically like Destiny I guess.

1 Like

I don’t know what this Marathon you are talking about is but “extraction shooter” is such a cursed sounding genre name that my skin literally crawled reading it, makes it sound like some crypto shit.

6 Likes