LingQuest

LingQuest:

It’s a language vocab game. Feat. a gritty post apocalyptic setting. U R a miner. The language in the screenshot is filipino*. Programming in processing bcos fuk unity. *The filipino word for pour is ibuhos. Its a work in progress.

6 Likes

sum of u may have been wondering wat happened to this project. its in re-start mode. I gotta rewatch this shit for a start.

https://learn.unity.com/project/2d-roguelike-tutorial

(yeah it s a unity tutorial that I kind of reverse engineered or whatever into processing form )

The only pilipino I knew for 18 years of my life was “puta ng ina mo” and “butoto”

but r u actually filipino?

guys I am bringing this project back. I want to record my progress- I want to make my computing professor proud from 1st year computer science in 2005. I want to do this project in a way for my 10 year old self who was able to spend a precious few months in Malaysia and wasn’t sure of his place in the country of his birth. I want to use this game as an…educational experimental space. What have I actually learnt since I posted up that mockup? More importantly, what more do I have to learn, and am I aware of what that is, what areas my further learning might occur in- which department or school of my old uni would I go to if I still had access to it?

Project management? Development studies? Philosophy of mathematics? Catholic social teaching? Game design??? Modern history of south east asia???

THUS BEGINS- MY PATH,MY JOURNEY,MY ODYSSEY, MY PILGRIMAGE, MY RETURN, MY DEPARTURE, MY GRADUATION, MY COMMENCEMENT.

MY COMMENCEMENT: OF A QUEST.

OF ALL OUR QUESTS.

OF OUR LINGQUEST.

So when I was sort of 18 or some shit and spent most of my time enduring crush on this vietnamese dude who was in some of my classes and was seriously the smartest guy I believed in the top 10 of people our age then- my comp sci professor used to emphasise the need for making and working from clear (and well-designed) design documents. Ok so through my memories of basically swooning everytime I ran into Thurston (yes his real name) I vaguely recall my Prof. Richard Buckland’s criteria for a good design document:

It should be inspiring
It should be forward-looking
It should have a realistic amount of technical information
It should be a work in itself
It should be legible for non-coders
It should give criteria for success

Thats the beginning of my lingquest to get one of these done!

3 Likes