Let's just talk about Star Wars forever (Part 1)

tfa sucked giant weaponplanets

man i have decidedly mixed feelings about both TFA and Rogue1 and not quite sure what people have such adoration for

V > IV > VI > TFA >= R1 > II > III > I

2 Likes

attack of the clones before revenge of the sith is utter madness. attack of the clones is straight up a bad movie. it might even be worse than I

[spoiler]but otherwise you are correct. If I was feeling saucy I would put VII and VI about equal, and only marginally better than III. I narrowly edges out II to me because its big action set pieces are less nonsensical than those in II. but II does have that cool opening sequence in coruscant so who knows. anyway even though the prequels are collectively worse than the OT, they still aren’t THAT bad. other than II

i’m just going to keep making this longer. I think a lot of why people liked VII was it was just aesthetically a more authentic pastiche of George Lucas &co circa the late 70’s/mid 80’s. A hypothetical remade prequel trilogy with the exact same general narrative arc but the style and gloss of VII would be much better. I really just feel like Lucas pressured himself into trying to make use of new technology before it was really ready, and the whole movie suffers for it. even though they were incredibly expensive to produce, they still look cheap. [/spoiler]

Man, I think I have to just agree to disagree with you on this. I could list things that worked in TFA and things that didn’t work in R1 all day and try to explain one type of lame fan service vs. another type of lame fan service and blah blah blah, but at the end of it all I would look in the mirror, and all I would see is the shadows deepening along the lines of my face.

But yeah, “Bestest Ever Fan Film” would probably be my snarky bottom line review for R1.

TFA had lots of problems (some of them just maddening, some of them so easy to fix that they may have even been able to address them with a last minute recut or just ADR), but the high points were really wonderful and overall I thought it was a great package, marred by some missed opportunities and missteps.

R1 I just straight up think is a bad movie with maybe some good action direction.

V
IV
VI
VII

R1
I
III
II

3 Likes

Honestly, VI and VII are close for me, though.

I don’t hate VI as much as many, I think. I really like the Jaba opening act. The Ewoks suck, but I think Luke resolving his emotional arc (intercut with the Ewoks), pretty much makes up for it. Yes, Kasdan’s ending would have been ten times better, but all well.

I don’t agree with the whole, “The story is inherently flawed, because Luke has nothing to do with taking down the Empire.” Luke is resolving his emotional arc, and the that entire subplot is handled really well with some wonderful shots and decent hammy acting. There’s no story rule that all ensemble heroes have to contribute to the resolution of the external plot threat. That’s just stupid. It doesn’t matter at all that Luke doesn’t take down the Death Star. Has no impact on the storytelling.

Anyway, I ultimately put VII lower than VI, because the only think I hate in VI is the Ewoks. I probably prefer the creativity and high points in VII to what works in VI, but the missteps in VII are so maddening that it loses to VI.

ewoks will eat you

i don’t remember much of the prequels anyway so you’re probably right

That’s cool. I don’t expect to you to fix their video. I just think their reasoning is inconsistent and a lot of people tend to borrow their reasoning.

I like action movies for action movie purposes and I’m not sure I care about Star Wars beyond its capacity as an action movie.

Like, share, subscribe and leave a comment to be automatically entered to win a bottle of Rogue One aftershave from our friends at Geek Box. Let us know: who would you rather see in a gold bikini: Ray or Whatever The Girl in Rogue One is Named?

whatever the opposite of a blood potion is

Butt poison

5 Likes

things about R1 that are better than VII:

-Good Cool Weird Alien Guys
-Donnie Yen
-Deeper investigation of the empire-as-space-bureaucracy
-Unique types of archaic-feeling but still very Advanced seeming tech (giant space satellite dishes, hard drives)
-Villain henchmen that are not totally worthless jokes. VII had this, but only in that first scene where you see how much storm troopers can tear shit up when there are no jedi around. Then the rest of the movie they are just pawns again. Note that imperial troops are also actually threatening in V, and that is why it is good
-No part where this one character is the fulfillment of an ancient prophecy or whatever
-X-Wing stuff

Things about VII that are better than R1
-Humor… i honestly felt like the comedy in VII was underrated. I liked that Kylo Ren was both an angsty dork and a legitimately terrifying dad killer. Also VII has the best “C-3PO is irritating” joke of the entire series.
-The score, not just the rehashes of the old stuff, but the new stuff too. Yes, including Jabba Flow.
-Oscar Isaac
-Only taking place on a normal number of planets instead of too many
-Deeper investigation of the empire first order as space nazis thing
-Pacing in general. This counts for a lot and it is mainly why i don’t think r1 is as good.

in short i feel like vii distilled the steven speilberg parts of george lucas and r1 tries to do the same for the francis ford coppola parts of george lucas. but neither of them are really their own thing, and both are sort of pushed through the mid 2010’s blockbuster movie filter in a moderately uncool way. this does worse things to r1 than it does to vii, because spielbergian films are more like modern blockbusters than … coppolarian (?) ones are. But you know if someone had just given the green light on Rogue One being Apocalypse Now in space, that there would have been a fine movie indeed.

4 Likes

at least donnie yen got to do any martial arts at all instead of when TFA hired all those awesome dudes from the raid to get beat up by a space octopus

4 Likes

oh yeah i forgot to mention about how space octopi were the worst parts of both movies

1 Like

what monster hates ewoks

they’ve been through enough

2 Likes

Force Unleashed 2 and its whole Ewok Dick Kicking mode was enough to get my rage out at them.

Kylo Ren is really the best part of 7 for me. Right down to his perfectly stupid sword.

heavy spoilers of course

star wars is beautiful and no one will ever be able to convince me otherwise

1 Like

the more i think about it the more i feel like i have to consider this article an orthodox exegetical reading of my own personal holy scripture

1 Like