Let's just talk about Star Wars forever (Part 1)

i saw that earlier and part of me feels like footage shot specifically for trailers might be preferable to the thing where the trailer reveals the entire plot of the film

like i would welcome a world where it was normal for 300 mill plus blockbusters to just tack on a few dozen million bucks to shoot a sizzle reel of footage that tells you what the movie will be like without including any scenes from the actual film

also a big fan of trailers where the trailer is just the actors from the movie telling you about what the movie will be like, or doing some completely unrelated thing

4 Likes

I loved how many of the background characters felt straight out of my teenage West End Games Star Wars RPG sessions–a badass Ugnaught, a Wampa with a gun, some random person in Bosch’s helmet.

1 Like

WEG Star Wars might not be a good game but it was still the best Star Wars game for like two decades.

WEG Ghostbusters was great though. Actually important in RPG design history, too.

1 Like

I could never find the main rulebook for Ghostbusters, but I always wanted it.

SW made more sense to me than the vagely mechanically similar Shadowrun did. The sourcebooks for it were fun reading too. Jodo Kast was the OG Jango Fett.

1 Like

I kept meaning to bring this up in the giant Ghostbusters thread but I never did : (

I liked it okay but for a movie about a suicide mission against space nazis while a bunch of liberal rebel alliance guys sit back at the base talking about how unbeatable the empire is and lets just be nice and work through the senate or whatever, I don’t think I ended up liking it as much as I was hoping to. seemed like there was too many corny “it’s poetry it rhymes” parts, and they’re constantly going from one planet to the next like a james bond movie, which I never care for. movies are too fast now. in star wars 4jpn/1usa they’re on tattooine forever, then they’re on the death star forever, then they attack the death star. in these new ones every one is constantly running and everything is exploding.

but I thought all the new characters in force awakens were interesting. this one there’s no time to get know anyone and there’s just suggestions of interesting things that could possibly be going on between the lines and between movies, like about people doing the dark deeds for the rebels and assassinating their own people etc. I thought forest whitaker was interesting probably cause other chracters bother to talk about him a second. seems like they cut out more stuff with him from the trailers too. they should make one of these spin off movies just about him ambushing convoys and torturing imperial pilots for two hours.

the battle at the end though made up for force awakens having the worst space battle of them all though. but then, the cut footage makes it look like originally they had to get the harddrive in a different place and carry it across the battlefield to broadcast it in a different place. which sounds more exciting, but who knows, maybe this was the better version. but because there’s all these rumors of them taking the movie from the director and reworking it you can’t help but imagine some theoretically better uncompromised version setting in the disney vault somewhere.

4 Likes

This movie could have done a lot of interesting things to flesh out the Rebel Alliance and kinda just didn’t.

Pacing felt videogamey in the lack of character building early on. I recall having some trouble identifying exactly what my issue was until I realized that, like 40 mins in or w/e, the protagonist hadn’t just had a normal conversation with anyone – everything was adversarial.

I saw this on Saturday and can’t remember exactly what Forest Whitaker’s character was supposed to be. I just know he fought people and the protagonist was once his best fighter.

Why were all the star destroyers so clean looking?

Still thought it was alright.

Honestly as soon as I saw the dirty space hovel at the beginning I was like yeah, this’ll be all right.

4 Likes

I also found it sort of breathless, but ultimately I decided that it was a good move. It was, like, y’know, a movie. Like they used to make, where they pretty quickly set up characters, set up a conflict, and resolve the conflict. Movie over. The last thing we needed was a Rogue One Trilogy or some shit, I liked that this just did its business and that was it. Maybe you could criticize on the grounds of too many characters or something, but I mean, if Magnificent Seven and Ocean’s Eleven can do it then so can Rogue One.

i thought rogue one was alright most of the time. fourteen-years-old me would’ve loved it sick though.

people made fun of reviewers for writing that it’s the first star wars movie to be “really about war” and as much as i feel saying that is still kind of cheap i see where they come from. i like that it’s also about people deemed to be extremists and unlikable doing the thing that made all the difference in the end.

it’s just that a lot of the movie gets washed out because of tepid jokes being thrown around, characters being constantly saved in the last second by the cavalry and orchestral music playing what seemed to me all the time – namely, the part when jyn and cassian jump for the tape and it’s playing, like, this really bombastic song and it got annoying quick because in that specific moment and a few others there was nothing really at stakes going on.

i watched the movie dubbed because i was with my kid-sister and brother. i found it interesting how “naturally” the voice actors said the forest whitaker character’s name. i saw later that it is written in a way that resembles a spanish or portuguese word. seeing the actual actors pronounce it in interviews has been hilarious in how. . . .“overdone” they sound. ha!

2 Likes

this movie was extremely fucking meh

paint by numbers with a wooden main character and they basically assume you know star wars and if you don’t thanks for the 20 bux loser. but hey the side characters were fun enough

just felt really rote and yeah. wtb star wars movie that doesn’t have to tie back in to the main trilogy

i thought his name was ‘sol guerrera’ so yea

1 Like

I saw this, I think it was not quite as good as episode 7 but I still really liked it. It would have almost been sad if it was better than episode 7 for some reason. But still it didn’t feel like they were holding back. As a movie it had problems, but as a star war I felt that it satisfied a lot of my nerd feelings and theories about what should be going on at that point in the star worlds timeline. I dont want to watch too much of clone wars or rebels bc I’m afraid they’ll shit all over my head cannon about the empire’s space genocide mission and the way spaceman society both deteriorates and becomes liberated in the wake of the collapse of the old aristocratic order

This extends down to how passionately star warriors are capable of loving one another, pretty deep imo

Jyn and Cassian’s battlefield bromance is really the perfect segue from Anakin and Amidala’s virtually arranged marriage to the incestuous and tempestuous love triangle at the center of the ot

oh wait one two more thing:

do you think Chirrut Imwe’s ‘luck’ is an attempt to retcon a force based explanation for why the storm troopers can’t hit shit in any of the original movies? like it’s just because our heroes are being protected by the force? it’s kind of brilliant

also, even though i’m not sure the character worked exactly as well as intended, you gotta admire the balls behind making cassian andor the heartless bastard george lucas was afraid everyone would think han solo was before he changed the greedo scene

1 Like

also, props to this movie for really doubling down on the star worlds ppl have flawless space travel capability but very poor data compression and transmission technology thing

4 Likes

So they need some kind of ansible for Cassian to contact Yavin from Eadu, right? That he does so using 80s computer lab and/or Barnes and Noble CD preview station headphones is just aesthetic window dressing on standard FTL communications tech.

re: the finale I thought it was just the shield blocking outbound communication and the upload being slow because it’s a huge file. It doesn’t take that long once Jyn gets it going.

I really liked that the Rebels have actual signals intelligence in this.

I liked how many blasters had stocks ;___;

1 Like

Would a stock be necessary without recoil? Just for steadying?

I think blasters are supposed to have recoil? (og Star Wars even had blanks in the props)

Even if not, shouldering your weapon and aiming down it is going to be a lot more accurate than hip-firing it stormtrooper-wise.

There’s some really awkward, unsteady one-handed aiming of big heavy blastblasts throughout the franchise.

1 Like