Let's just talk about Star Wars forever (Part 1)

Yeah that’s just totally off…

R.I.P. Peter Mayhew

3 Likes

I have now btw

2 Likes

R.i.P indeed. My girlfriend and I both did a sad Chewie growl in his honor. He brought that character to life and brought a lot of joy to a lot of people

2 Likes

@a_new_duck I thought that was gonna be this

1 Like

Oh jesus, I didn’t even know that existed when I made this.

2 Likes

big episode 9 spoilers

1 Like

This thing’s spreading all over

The unbridled fan froth over this video makes me realize how much I hate fans of things, and also basically everything.

3 Likes

It is pretty impressive just from a technical standpoint, and it has much cleaner editing than most fan re-edits I’ve seen. But yeah I don’t really think this is necessary for the movie. Although, I am one of those irritating fans that always finds the Vader / Kenobi lightsaber duel to be kind of underwhelming when you are watching the movies in narrative sequence so I appreciated the attempts to make it more tense & visually dynamic. I don’t think any of the flashback dialogue stuff works though.

EDIT: I don’t really like to shit on George Lucas all that much, but honestly changes like this seem like a more interesting approach to a “Special Edition” than just adding in CGI fart jokes into the background.

2 Likes

the music and the very beginning of the duel with that idiotic flourish just completely ruin it though

like it is actually a nice bit of work if the person who made it had any restraint or aesthetic sense at all

4 Likes

Star Wars!

6 Likes

Oh yeah, from a technical perspective, it’s a nice achievement for a fan film. And I could hear an argument about how the scene it’s recreating in the film is a little underwhelming. But it’s so out of tone with what the film is doing in this sequence (and I think the overall aesthetics for the short’s action direction are tired and, tbh, boring, no matter how well-executed otherwise), that it actually pisses me off.

3 Likes

I’ve only had a chance to watch it without sound, but I do appreciate the effort to reconcile Vader and Obi-Wan’s abilities with where other current cannon sources (Rogue One and Rebels respectively) display them prior to this duel.

If this scene was in A New Hope and you were watching it for the first time, however, it might not make sense. All we’d seen of the force was choking, mental manipulation, and extending senses… none of the effortless telekinesis that would later become a staple. Seeing this fight in your first Star Wars movie would probably be jarring.

1 Like

I kind of like the Galaxy of Adventures shorts for this reason, and honestly would be sort of morbidly curious to see what it would look like if they animated all of the first six movies in a similar style with the original dialogue and sound design.

1 Like

I feel what y’all are saying, but I think I just found words for a big reason I hate the prequels that I was never able to express.

1 Like

Almost like the prequels should have been written/directed to align closer to the first movie instead of needing the reverse.

2 Likes

That is something I would like to see. Since the way they have changed the backgrounds in this short is pretty seamless, I wonder if it would be possible to take the prequel characters out of the weird CGI settings of the original movies and put them back into like normal deserts and forests and stuff.

I get that in the prequels they wanted to create even more otherworldly environments for the little space men to run around in but I honestly don’t think the tech was there yet. Weirdly if you rewatch Phantom Menace this sort of thing is much more understated, and it’s about the only thing in that movie I like better than the other prequels. But in episodes II and III everything looks kind of like a mid 90’s computer game with prerendered backgrounds. I guess that’s cool in its own way but it doesn’t hold up as well as the spraypainted cardboard sets and beautiful actual earth landscapes of the OT.

3 Likes

I have very little doubt that George Lucas would LOVE this

1 Like

Maybe I’ve mentioned this on the forums before, and maybe you’ve already listened to it, but one of the early Blank Check With Griffin And David episodes (when they were still doing their Prequels bit) has them going into just how not-there the tech was for Episode 2’s production with a filmmaker who has some insight into that side and it’s really interesting!

George just wanted to do an all-green/bluescreen movie, he didn’t care that they weren’t ready. The technicians had to figure it out as they went along. A lot of that movie is shit that people pitched to him. “I think I can do X.” Then they’d be in their corner building it on their computer for a year.

Edit:

2 Likes