Let's just talk about Star Wars forever (Part 1)

Because it features Magic dude. No movies could feature magic.

That’s patently untrue and also a far more recent rule that was frequently misreported by the western press

1 Like

afaik film foreign film distro in china before 1994 was uh. “obscure” and most films were only released there on an unofficial (pirated) basis. after that there was a quota of how many fully foreign produced* movies could be released there every year, with a profit-sharing system set up that has changed a bit over time. it’s not many, like 10 or 12. censorship concerns certainly played a role in what films were selected to be officially released, but i have a feeling that with star wars they just figured since they missed out the first time around they wouldn’t have the audience for it with the prequels.

that said it wasn’t totally unknown there. i’m sure plenty of people were still able to pirate stuff, or had connections to get access to various things. star wars was released in hong kong, and probably some stills used to promote that movie are the way people were able to write those zany comic book adaptations

*afaik this is also why there are so many more co-productions with chinese companies these days, if it’s a transnational coproduction it’s treated differently.

3 Likes

The prequels came out officially! And flopped!

2 Likes

ah cool. Didn’t know that!

If my first exposure to Star Wars was the prequels, I wouldn’t want to watch more, either.

3 Likes

I’m not sure what “magic dude” is?

Chinese folklore has tons of magic. But it isn’t CHINESE magic I guess, so I get it. But I don’t get it.

Tulpa and u_u came in right under and owned me with real knowledge.

Today I had the sudden, extremely strong realization TLJ said fucking nothing about the Knights of Ren.

It’s going to be hilarious if they just never actually explain that ever. I kinda hope they don’t.

2 Likes

Disney’s holding back on paying that one off until they buy Nickelodeon. They we get a full Knights of Ren Hoek movie.

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/954398041598918656

5 Likes

everything rian does makes me like him more and more

if we have do suffer through indy 5 anyway, they should let him do it

2 Likes

Darth Kadoogan

1 Like
1 Like
3 Likes

v. good

When they came to the place in which the princess’s army should have been they saw nothing. They wondered what became of them. In the sky they saw a flock of birds, rising over clouds of mist and the shining moon in the middle of the sky.(8)

“Tell me, Eogan”, said Finn, “what are those birds and clouds and moon? For the sun is shining and it is not yet dark.” Cenn Obi replied, “They are not birds but the clods of earth thrown up by the horses of Da ThfĂ©ider’s army. They are not clouds but the fierce and manly breathing and exhaling of Da ThfĂ©ider’s men”, he said “That’s no moon. It’s the shining eye of Da ThfĂ©ider himself that can destroy an army with a single glare.” Before they could flee they were beset by men from Da ThfĂ©ider’s army and brought as prisoners into the camp.

1 Like

Oh no that’s so entertaining

1 Like

r/deepfakes outdid ILM god damn

1 Like

watching this on loop looks like she’s saying “star wars” as the last line of the movie

2 Likes

“this has the potential to start a war
 a star war.” FIN

1 Like