Let's just talk about Star Wars forever (Part 1)

LucasArts was brilliant I miss them

3 Likes

you know I was thinking about this movie re: nerd backlash

a lot of nerds are upset about rey’s parentage being revealed to be nothing special at all. you can say what you want about how maybe some of them are mad because this could mean rey is special just because of herself and wanting to be something more than just a junk scavenger (and elevating herself beyond that position) and feminism

but there’s something more here with how so much of modern nerd shit is about how most nerds have functioned on the idea that they’re special just because they like all of this awful trash culture shit. that somehow knowing about star wars and like drakengard makes them better then everyone else and smarter than the jocks and more genuine then the hipsters: that they are special because they were born with better taste or w/e (I studied the blade etc)

so the narrative of the new star wars no longer fits that mold of inherent specialness; it now means that rey is just anyone else in the galaxy and somehow managed to win the lottery and become a force adept. it’s out of step with a lot of narratives that are present and have become common in the rest of nerd pop culture (see: ready player one)

4 Likes

It’s still about some nobody finding out they’re totally awesome because of some innate quality they didn’t have to work for it’s just now that innate quality has nothing to do with a Secret Personal History so it isn’t trigged by a revelation of such (she’s some really talented wizard from a nothing family, not Harry Potter) oh and

shit

It’s A Girl

Which is probably still the greatest crime of all.

7 Likes

does anybody want to speculate/conspiracize that the reason Rian Johnson wasn’t allowed to do episode 9 was because Disney suits wound up hating TLJ due to its basically shitting all over Jar-Jar Abrams’ stupid Harry Potter Star Wars?

if Johnson really does get his own trilogy, that’d be cool. but with fucking RON HOWARD of all people directing the Han Solo movie, I wouldn’t be surprised if they ditch Johnson altogether, citing ‘fan’ backlash (trollbot army anyone?). but maybe I’m just being cynical

like the 340 million dollar opening weekend says different

Ben Shapiro’s “review” of this movie came up on YouTube auto play and it is hilarious how mad right-wing people get at their precious space nazis getting dragged. No self-awareness at all.

That character is literally just some brat dressing up in his Nazi grandfather’s clothes and it’s good and great that they just made him slimier and the butt of every joke whenever he’s onscreen.

These shitheads were mad about Lando back in the day too, fuck 'em.

I can only imagine how much watching this would make me cringe internally

domhnall gleason is wretched though and i do miss the stolid english bureaucrats who just didn’t want to get choked to death in the original trilogy. i really just want more boring bureaucratic world building that lucas was so prone to in my star wars.

1 Like

To me Kylo Ren is the perfect combination of prequels Anakin and ot Vader and probably my favorite character in the new movies. But I also like Rey and think tlj Luke is the best Luke so I’m out of step w the tru fanz I guess

5 Likes

Yeah this is good but I also like the idea of this rivalry between the two head guys, one who is just the emperor’s favorite emo prettyboy who has all this undeserved personal power and one who is an actual general who has no special abilities but does all the work.

It would be better though if Hux wasn’t also a whiny prick true. I was thinking that they were setting up that captain of the big cannon ship at the beginning to be the actual strategist and hard boiled military dude to contrast Hux’s entitled aristocracy, but then they like immediately killed him and oh well.

If Hux pisses off Nazis it’s worth it though.

Somehow I’ve managed to avoid any of the nerdrage negative takes on the internet (Gate88’s was well considered and good) and I almost can’t conceive of what they even say. Like the movie was good and fun and not a huge departure from anything actually?

my main problem w/ hux is his complete lack of self preservation instinct. like when u live in a fascist military bureaucracy and all ur higher ups can choke the shit out of u without blinking, maybe stop mouthing off every 5 seconds

1 Like

given the pecking order, maybe he’s betting there might be repercussions for kylo if he goes around and starts offing generals

kind of curious, are there any EU books worth reading?

The one where Boba Fett comes back but then some porgs eat him and later you find out Lobot was actually a bunch of porgs in a man suit with a computer attached to the man suit and the computer was made by porg scientists and so was the man suit is pretty good.

I think it’s called Winter in The Porg’s Sty?

1 Like

all the eu is pure and beautiful. read about the horse xwing pilot.

Just play Shadows of the Empire on the Nintendo 64, it’s the best EU thing

3 Likes

I can’t imagine the extended universe stuff is actually worse than the new stuff

My lil brother was well into it, had this thing and more besides:

1 Like

My dad brought this to my house and it seems pretty cool,

https://goo.gl/images/PK6ubn

if middlebrow af. WIL WHEATON

2 Likes

real big fan of the bad guy armor in this

3 Likes