Let's just talk about Star Wars forever (Part 1)

This was a good time.

Just watched the prequels for the first time and pretended all the way through the evil JarJar thing is 100% canon.

1 Like

this is almost exactly how i feel about halo 2, so: i feel ya

Thereā€™sā€¦ thereā€™s a trailer for making the movie?

This is the culture we have wrought and deserve

I for one canā€™t wait for the press release when Disney puts Episode IX into pre-production

There was a release date for the trailer 2 of Daredevil at the end of Trailer 1. Media is Hell.

get hype, loyal consumer

1 Like

Laura Dern and Benicio del Toro are going to be in this one.

It would be great that instead of talking about what will be a serviceable sequel to a serviceable film that they instead talk about the Lord-Miller young Han Solo movie now that, uh, things happened.

They havenā€™t even shown off Rogue One yet, give it time.

Iā€™m sorry, what.

Disney is paying the guys who did 21 Jump Street, The Lego Movie and Clone High to make a movie about young Han Solo

Odds are pretty good itā€™ll be the most entertaining thing to come out of Disneyā€™s newest attempt to conquer the world

No I know who Lord & Miller are, that was my attempt at a textual record scratch. Clone High is my personal religion. This is revelatory.

Oh, well then, high fives all around

dammit, i knew the ewoks would come back eventually

ewoks are cool

theyā€™ll eat people

5 Likes

My favorite Star Wars is the grindhouse fanedit of Star Wars called War of the Stars.
It has all the good bits, and a few good bits and pieces of characterization that didnā€™t make it into the theatrical cut.
Why is Han Solo flying solo in the canteen in the canon version. Where did his babe go?

Not counting that my favorite Star Wars is Star Wars. Episode IV is based heavily on Hidden Fortress but basically takes all the cool little pieces of other films and puts them into it in a way that makes sense. Itā€™s basically the prototype for Tarrantino movies which just happens to be way better then Tarrantino.
I like that Star Wars has so many good guys to choose from. Obi Wan is a wise old good guy and martyr. Luke is a young good guy, Han is a roguish good guy. The droids are bumbling comical good guys. The settings are cool. Darth Vader is a great villian. Blowing up the Death Star and then an award ceremony for the heroes is a great ending.

Episode V is good. I find it a little slow at points. I think I just have an aversion to snowy settings, so opening on a snow planet, kind of knocks it down a few pegs for me. Of course this has the classic I AM YOUR FATHER, but I had heard it so many times prior to seeing the movie it had no resonance. I think itā€™s probably better that way. If I had seen it without having heard it first I think it probably would have seemed like an interesting twist, but Iā€™d hate how frequently quoted it was. The quote coming first is probably the better way to experience it.

Episode VI feels like a comic book.

I remember Episode 1 pretty well. Despite following up the disappointing Special Edition threatrical releases, people were hyped as heck. My best friends convinced me to go opening night. One of them dressed up as Darth Maul for it. People were having light saber duels in line waiting to see it.
I had a semi-positive response at the time, I thought the podrace scene was too long, and the little kid was annoying, but I enjoyed the adult jedis and thought Darth Maul dying was hilarious (people had been suggesting he was the new badass villian for the series). My friends had a very negative impression of the film and hated that Maul had died in it.

The same friends convinced me to see Episode II, but I was extremely sceptical as my impression of the first film had soured by then. I walked out for large portions and played Blood Bros. at the nearby arcade. It was kind of memorable as it was the first time I found the action scenes in a movie extremely boring. Now itā€™s true of almost every blockbuster action movie.

I did not see Episode III theatrically, but did see it in bits and pieces over the years. I think it manages to be even worse then II.

In retrospect I still kind of like Episode I, because it feels like everyone making it was trying really hard to make it a great movie, and it has lots of interesting background details, despite not being very good.
I donā€™t like Episode II or III at all. I think Episode V and VI are fine. They arenā€™t among my favorite movies, but Iā€™d watch them again if someone wanted to watch them. Episode IV is a movie I like. Once I made a list of 100 movies I loved and it was on there somewhere.

I like Episode VII, but I donā€™t love it. Itā€™s mostly an action movie with decent pacing.
Itā€™s a remake of Episode IV which was itself a remake, which is kind of interesting. Itā€™s got some terrible dialog.
Finn is constantly knocking on the forth wall.
I think itā€™s not a very good movie, but it has some nice progressive elements to it.
I like that new-luke is a girl, and the will-they wonā€™t-they couple is interracial. This is the highest grossing movie ever, and little things like that will do more good for the world then a good movie ever could have.

asking the important questions

:curly: