Let's just talk about Star Wars forever (Part 1)

I want to see a 90 minute making-of documentary that’s just about Luke’s robot hand.

1 Like

I hope they recast Leia and in episode 9 just address it in-canon like Matrix Revolutions

in a desperate attempt to return to her adventurous youth, Leia puts on the Boushh disguise again and refuses to take it off for any reason

7 Likes

Is this the most visually literate Star Wars thing ever made? Certainly looks like it

porgs

1 Like

I actually think that is a strength of the original trilogy, when Lucas was still high on Campbell I think he paid attention to visual storytelling a lot more too

Empire strikes back is a marvelously shot film.

2 Likes
3 Likes

!!!

2 Likes

fuck man, i still miss the heck out of her

In shepherding this new trilogy, which is separate from the episodic Skywalker saga, Johnson will introduce new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored.

1 Like

Someone get Tomino Yoshiyuki to direct one of these Star Wars stories.

3 Likes

and thus god did decree: one star wars movie a year until the end of days

What year’s the first year we get two Star Warses? 2020?

cinema is dead

it’s just a star war now

1 Like

Can’t wait for the epic Yoda Babies trilogy

I want a Yoda Stories movie that’s just hundreds of clips played in random order each time

7 Likes

because of reasons i have decided to watch every star war in in-universe chronological order to prepare for EPISODE 8: THE LAST JEDI BUT DEFINITELY NOT THE LAST STAR WAR, RIGHT?

have gotten through i and ii so far, i keep going back and forth on which one is worse. And I’m like, the prequel defender guy. I still think they are bad movies. But I still like the space politics, I’m sorry.

I have finally seen these movies enough times to understand the plot of attack of the clones, and really feel like that movie could have actually pretty good if: 1) the whole thing with Count Dooku was handled better… christopher lee is great, don’t waste him in what basically amounts to a cameo! He should have at least been introduced at the beginning of the movie and depicted as an honorable but principled separatist, and then make some kind of more overt reference to the machinations of Darth Tyrannus (who is mentioned before the end, I think? but in a really offhand way) so the reveal at the end would be… not even shocking, just like, have any kind of drama to it whatsoever. 2) In both this and episode i, if it wasn’t made so obvious that Palpatine and Sidious are the same guy. I mean, obviously the second you see Ian Mcdiarmid and uh, learn his name, you know that he is secretly evil, but why not add an element of surprise about who Sidious is and what he wants? Then in the second episode they could reveal that Dooku is actually not just a former jedi but a full on sith apprentice–if the character was actually like, featured in the film at all this could have been a good twist, and save any indication that Sidious and Palpatine are the same guy until episode iii, when you would realize that Palpatine’s political maneuverings and the sort of ominous looming sith presence are one and the same. I mean it still probably would have been easy to put together, but i don’t think it would have been that difficult to add a little bit more intrigue to the whole thing. 3) If there was even a single thing good about the Anakin/Padme relationship. I think the saving grace of the prequels is they actually do a pretty good job of showing why the jedi council is kind of stupid, and giving Anakin some not entirely creepy motivation to begin having misgivings about the whole thing. But then they have him go and slaughter an entire village of sand people, and then Padme is like “Oh you poor thing” not, “You just murdered like dozens of people???” and then awkwardly confess her love for him a few scenes later. I swear, if you pay really close attention, there are little moments when you can tell Hayden Christiansen could have given a decent performance, buuut… the movie just isn’t written that way, I guess.

Basically this rewatching hasn’t changed much of my opinions, I still think the idea of trying to depict both the republic and the jedi council as kind of decadent and outdated institutions is interesting, and if you are able to pay enough attention to poorly delivered throwaway dialogue, Palpatine’s grand scheme does actually kind of make sense over the course of the three movies. It’s just that everything good about them is kind of buried in these throwaway lines and moments rather than actually put at the center of the story. And the stuff that is right there in front of your face is… bad…

also, I don’t know why this didn’t really dawn on me until now, but having a whole multi-season TV show about the Clone Wars that is presented as a kind of heroic, daring-do war adventure type of series when the entire war is basically a false flag/deliberately instigated catastrophe that was caused in order to allow an evil man to usurp political and military power is… deeply weird

7 Likes