Let's Horror 💜 💇‍♂️

well, i fucked up and made two whole areas before deciding not to use them, which is arguably the main thing you don’t want to happen with these things. but i think the general standard for firstperson 3d areas these days has evolved past my own ability to fake or play catch up, so feeling better about trying to compress the whole section into a handwave and get back to what i like. screenshots here for the sake of salvage.

moving slow due to various aches and pains but otherwise things going well, the third game got posted by a youtube channel, most people seemed to like it although a few accused it of being a drowning/hypnosis/waterparks(?) fetish thing. if only!! there is probably a good career in that stuff but suspect it would require a level of focus and attention to detail i don’t have.

12 Likes

the way everyone is looking at you in these reminds me of just gliding past these scenes on a dark boat ride, like Pirates of the Caribbean at Disneyland

2 Likes

i probably should have set it up like that! new game is set in an “immersive theater”, which is basically pirates of the caribbean with less animatronics anyway. unfortunately since it’s done in fps mode there’s a lot of fiddling around to try and keep things visually interesting as you move and look in different directions… the idea with the replacement level is to have everything crammed into one less directed little maze area, so that hopefully the tangle of corridors compensates a bit for the rooms being less individually dense.

6 Likes

for some reason somebody set up an imdb page for one of these games and

16 Likes

Rude

not offbase for these tbh

6 Likes

trying out a mirror shader and immediately falling back into 3d mirror render art aesthetics. if you have a mirror you have to pair it with a checkerboard, and ideally also a floating ball - computer law. it is the free version of the plugin so no recursion effects alas but still enjoying how many effects of this nature people have uploaded for free.

posters for highly regarded stage shows. looking at them now i should really have one for Cats hanging around somewhere as well.

8 Likes

oh man i’d go watch dreadful well that sounds great

2 Likes

hmm made me think of a gag where you’d take a perspective based rotating sprite that keeps its back to you, so you don’t see its face, and put it in front of a mirror to reveal both sides of it are faceless.

2 Likes

Stabbing got an 18 star review, must be the best ever

2 Likes

private belief is that Stabbing was the murderer equivalent of 2004’s Crash and most critics now will admit to it being overpraised

i like this!! haven’t done anything too tricky yet but i did try placing someone in the blind spot directly behind the stationary camera for a similar kind of mirror reveal

3 Likes

having fun with the A. Degen diorama parts again. i have a tendency to overclutter these so glad this one turned out relatively straightforward.

7 Likes

still poking away but no big news. killed time making a little playlist of some favourites of the VGM i’ve been listening to for mood musics while working and testing, i’m not a big VGM person historically so has been nice to have an ongoing excuse to poke around in old soundtracks and find the inevitable single track called Haunted Cave or similar. not sure what rules are about posting here but can send on if anybody wishes.

2 Likes

trying to do some more animations to break up the game mostly being walks from place to place. also a wanderin’ bear.

Animation_2021-2-3_16-28-20 Animation_2021-2-13_10-28-23

anyway the game itself goes ok, am hopefully getting to the final stack of levels now and at least one proper guignol scene after 20 areas worth of build-up.

15 Likes

since this is basically thecatamites thread i thought this would be the best place to post this

the boys over at duckfeed.tv played Murder Dog IV on their podcast Abject Suffering, and mostly talked about what they could do to make it more convenient or tasty for a warlord to eat their bodies in the post apocalypse. i thought you would enjoy knowing this.

they did like the game though

3 Likes

i should check it out! in the case of murder dog i guess the answer would be to cover yourself in marrowbone jelly beforehand to help produce a glossy coat.

1 Like

finished the new game asides from sound and music, will put it on hold a little and start getting ready for the next one in the meantime. idea is to set it in a freeport but when looking up freeport pictures i found a lot of articles discussing christopher nolan’s “tenet” instead, in which i guess they feature. so will everybody just assume i’m ripping off christopher nolan?? well, i guess i just have to hope tenetmania hasn’t swept the world just yet.

poking through a flickr group(!) of old children’s media.

11 Likes

little clay guys, seen here posing with members of the Sylvanian Families Baby Band Series. after pandemic i will try and see if i can get the cat that plays the trumpet too.

13 Likes

new game out now

ok w/ how it came out overall. original idea was to do nearly all of it as the play, cobbled together from other plays (‘Victory Over The Sun’ + ‘Caesar Antichrist’), in part as a convenient frame for having different death conditions which would all turn out to also just be part of the show etc. in the end i left a lot of that out along with some other theatre-centric ideas (more spot lighting, facade areas, etc) but i’m glad enough stayed in to not feel like a total waste of a premise. it was also nice to have an excuse to check out some books i’d been meaning to read for a while.

2 Likes

some moral art

morals:

• wash your hands
  • distrust the stranger
  • handshake of the animals

last one is based on a story from a Willard Price adventure book i read as a kid, where he claims that if you hold out your hand to an elephant it will place its paw on top of yours and stare into your eyes. if you’re a good person, it will sense this and softly withdraw, but if you’re a bad person, it will stamp down hard and maim you irreperably. the exact moral criteria of the elephant remains unknown.

really wanted to evoke fusty neoclassical art but alas i don’t have the chops. will try my hand at some of the more traditional themes (“vanitas” “education of the poor” etc) later regardless.

13 Likes