RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE SBCOOP: Let’s start a cooperative

I think its consistent with the broad values of our community to grant hardship wavers to people who can’t afford to buy in. We could even make the cost of a buy in be proportional to income or some other scheme.

We are in control.

2 Likes

I make 250-300 a month, before taxes and SS

It would be embarrassing to disclose how much money I make here but I will do it if we want to go ahead.

How should share pricing work if we do an employee-owned cooperative?

• Fixed Share Cost
  • Hardship Wavers
  • Scaled Share Cost Based on Income

0 voters

I keep trying to make a post about my skills and I keep being stopped by my self-loathing and depression that makes me feel like nothing but a burden.

Sorry.

2 Likes

We love you Hache and there isn’t any reason to apologize.

2 Likes

Can rhyme all the time unlike a mime who rode the lime while watching some dime made out of crime…

I’ll design and run a tabletop rpg for you in short notice. This is my only skill, my only talent.

3 Likes

Okay let’s give this a go.

I can…

Make games in:

• HaxeFlixel
  • Twine
  • Bitsy

Learning to use:

• Python
  • Godot
  • inky

Moderately good at:

• Image manipulation in that Gnu program
  • Basic video editing in Windows Movie Maker
  • General troubleshooting
  • Canadian personal & self-employed income taxes
  • Tabletop RPG writing

There. Did it.

7 Likes

I believe this is actually a marketable skill.

These skills are good and cool! Welcome!

1 Like

This is also a good skill - did you know I wrote dozens of poems for Corpse Wizard?

2 Likes

it absolutely is not

I will never make marketable games

2 Likes

there will be no market after revolution, comrade

3 Likes

Can u explain these options before we vote?

1 Like

Yeah, sure:

We want the cooperative to have working capital, which we will raise in part by selling shares. Because we are employee owned, you can’t be an employee without owning a share. In an ideal universe where everyone had the same financial means, we’d set a share price and all by in for the same amount of money.

However, we know that financial means aren’t evenly distributed. There are a few ways to make the process of becoming an employee-owner more just. One is to determine, on a case by case basis, whether a potential employee-owner has financial hardships which justify a partial or full waiver of the ordinary share price.

Another way is to make it a condition of joining that you reveal your current income, and we develop a fixed scheme which maps income to share price. That way someone making 50k a year would pay say 50 dollars for their buy in, but someone making 25k a year might only pay 25 or less (linearity is probably not right, but it is an easy example).

2 Likes

Also, this is just my suggestion for how it might work. Given that this is a democratic organization, we might want to work out the details procedurally before we do this vote.

1 Like

I voted hardship wavers but I’m okay with a scaled model too.

the real thing we need to do is create polls that aren’t first-past-the-post so i can vote for the scaled model as my first choice and hardship as my second thx

7 Likes

I’m open to any kind of voting, though there is a lot to be said for simplicity.

Here are some resources - anyone want to go through this stuff with me?

https://usworker.coop/startups/

1 Like

I’ve been looking at some of this stuff from UK sources. Both the how-to guides I looked at say you should start with a viable business plan before actually getting into the structure of the co-operative.

Looking at how to make a business plan makes me realise that being a co-operative doesn’t make the business side of things go away. I guess the point is to be able to approach that captialist stuff in an ethical way.

3 Likes