(Mikey) Brick AF (LEGO posting alone)

Imgur

Imgur

Whoa, I dig those little sea grass things on the center bottom. Any idea what they’re from?

The local 5 Below was stocking little packs of off brand mini figure weapons. They’re not as cool as the Brick Arms Blade Runner gun, but there’s African throwing knives and other weirdo things.

1 Like

I think they’re just purpose-made seaweed from some other aquatic set

Imgur

I can officially start the #buggypunk train

Imgur

1 Like

Imgur

6 Likes

70s sci-fi illustration is the pinnacle of the form and this model nails it

3 Likes

the other day i found out about a lego theme that ran from 1979 to 1989 called fabuland. i have no memories of it, but seeing its weird animal-head minifigs triggered something in my brain, like there’s something repressed that i can’t quite reach. anyway it’s really cute look

(not my pictures, obviously)

2 Likes

@Mikey where do you find these pictures? They’re all pretty extraordinary.

Primarily from a blog called The Brothers Brick and by extension I go wandering Flickr where the majority of Lego builders seem to congregate http://www.brothers-brick.com/

I sometimes find the people who run the site to be sort of annoying in that know-it-all-uncle way, but they have a damned good eye for good creations.

I’m a little torn about this since it seems to be an ad for some defense contractor and because JFK’s ridiculous accent/cadence annoy me

That picture looks like it is riffing on Richard Scarry’s childrens books.

There were some minor fabuland refs in the lego movie that I appreciated.

Imgur

Can we just appreciate the level of detail here

Imgur

3 Likes

incredible!
1 - are there any shots of the full model?
2 - has there been any official sets that use similar techniques?

Yeah if you click through to that Flickr gallery there’s a bunch of shots (both detail shots and shots of the whole model). As far as official sets I can’t think of any that really get that intricate, which I imagine is both an accessibility issue (since even the advanced sets are intended to be built by kids) and a pricing issue.

1 Like

Lego’s Ideas website spawns user-suggested sets, notable recent examples being the Mars Curiosity Rover set, Lego Minecraft sets (which have gone on to spawn a whole line of sets), etc. Usually I’m not too into licensed property pitches but this seems like a fantastic fit: