Learning Japanese

No, that is not it.

Here is the Random House one:

I dunno if Berlitz has a version in print anymore. I bought mine in like 2002. There is a a fairly good chance that a local book store would have either one, as well. That’s how I originally got my Berlitz version. and I later discovered that Random-House printed the same book under their name, because my public library has it.

1 Like

ah ok thanks! Berlitz’z website really sucks.

P.S. its not a “pocket” dictionary. Its more like a “backpack” dictionary. I would often store things in it like rail passes and whatnot. I still have a business card in there, from a personal friend. Its been in there for 14 years.

*here is the exact one I have:
https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/japanese-refrence-dictionary_seigo-nakao_berlitz-publishing/1771461/?utm_term=1101002862340&mkwid=eRz14L8p|dc&pcrid=11558858379&utm_campaign=Bing+Shopping+|+Education+&+Reference&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=bing#isbn=2831571243&idiq=378333&mkwid=eRz14L8p|dc&pcrid=11558858379

2 Likes

個人的ですけど僕のおすすめは沢山の漫画を買ってで全然読めない

絶対人には話さない 文学とかも読めない 日本語の勉強は時間の無駄だけ それが一番と思う

…文法ってなんだっけ?

酔っぱらっただからIMEは別に気にしない

1 Like

お前はもう死んでいる

何!?

3 Likes

うぉぉぉ~!!
私の日本のアニメのように。。。!

you will all pay for that

僕は本気だったけど…

1 Like

heisig is full of lies but i guess if it helps you … “remember the kanji” it’s worth it

just never confuse those weird mnemonics for actual etymology, etc.

1 Like

Just memorize the radicals through rote repetition theres only 200 of them you don’t need a book to teach weird fake etymologies to do that

1 Like

アラララ

thanks! I should take you up on this once my mouth thaws out and I get back to a regular study schedule~

true but you might need to get real creative jamming the radicals together into a chain of reasoning that reflects actual meaning anyway, since afaik some appear in a j-glyph to give the whole thing its on-yomi only

like, take lake 湖 (mizu-umi, KO)
you’ve got the rad for ‘water’ there, fair enough, but then also ‘old’ and ‘moon’ OR together ‘barbarian/foreign’, where the KO is coming from the ‘old’ bit

so uhh… a lake is water ancient enough to have captured the moon?? or water where the barbarous gather?? help

1 Like

And in my limited kanji experience sometimes a radical can mutate quite a bit when coming together to the point of being unrecognizable the first time you run into it.

if your brain is the type that likes to work with mnemonics to commit to memory instead of direct information, heisig’ll work fine for you. mine doesn’t, so it’s useless for me, but i’m not going to discount that it works really really well for some people.

if i have a grump it’s that it doesn’t build any other connections up until later on so you have learned A Thousand Kanji but have not linked their memories up so that they can actually understand what they are reading when those kanji appear in the wild.

This is a good thing to have for Kanji

You could probably use it on its own. But I think its also great to use in tandem with anything else you are doing to learn Japanese or Kanji, specifically.

1 Like

I recommended Heisig a decade-plus ago but it needs to be put in context of the alternate learning methods that existed at the time. It kind of sucks but in a pre-internet lesson and pre-anime-boom world it was the best of bad alternatives.

As people have said, the main value of it is that it breaks down and sorts by components, unpacking their formal structure without getting distracted by etymology or use. This is an essential memorization and dictionary lookup framework for foreigners and that’s why so many people have experienced Heisig as a breakthrough. I still believe it’s necessary to approach kanji that way before you start to memorize them, but you can get that value out of Heisig by simply skimming it.

This book was published in 2013 and looks like an explicit attempt at modernizing Heisig’s method based on what works and what doesn’t. If you’re interested in Heisig probably try this instead:

4 Likes

does every character in the joyo get a little blurb like that or just the easy/early ones, because that would rule

Another book i’ve seen recommended a few times:

(mainly just a bump to keep the thread active)