IT IS VERY HUNGRY

ALERT ALERT ALERT

EMERGENCY PROTOCOLS ENACTED: Complete Crew Impairment due to contamination; system controls disabled locally; control passed to remote satellite access effective immediately, awaiting response from command >>

//RESPONSE: Complete Lockdown proceedure enacted, stationwide Shelter In Place order issued to all staff, isolate and eliminate escaped containment

RECORD: XSP00666.20620230
IDENTITIES: Dr. Maxim Turgenev, Lieutenant General Nikolay Preobrazhensky
LOCATION: Xenoscience Live Lab, Room 22, Terminal B2, 02:33 (GMT+12)
General,

I regret to inform you that our mission on Mars is lost, along with all hands; the subject we extracted from the Martian ruins escapted containment approximately 120 minutes ago.

In that time, our efforts to control and isolate (and, failing that, exterminate) the subject failed completely. Our security measures proved to be woefully inadequate. The airlock and containment cell area was compromised almost immediately, and the armed response team dispatched was eliminated before a single radio status update could be delivered upon their arrival.

They were dead before they were able to tell us what was killing them. We don’t even know what they saw before they died. The cameras show nothing but a blur, and recorded nothing but screaming and silence.

Within an hour, the casualties had mounted as such that the computer is telling me we have less than three people alive as I’m writing this.

Three people left, out of almost ten thousand, in just over an hour. The rest, eaten and absorbed, repurposed to simply become more of-- Whatever this is. We never stood a chance.

I imagine that, very soon now, the few of us remaining will be joining our comrades in hell.

We will not be joining you for the coming apocalypse.

I do not envy you.

It is very hungry.

//REVISED RESPONSE: XLL operations site declared defunct and written off as viable for future use; forwarding escelation protocols to governmental oversite for containment/disposal; all xenoscience assets declared expendable recommend thermonuclear obliteration from orbit

9 Likes

Highly approve of buttrock

now i’m imagining what a single player game where you’re a horde fighting a single powerful enemy might be like

this looks cute though! nice pixels

imagining it as a counterpoint to that carrion game

4 Likes

Glad folks are digging it! If you got suggestions, sling 'em.

I’ll also have a build people can try soon-ish if they want.

We’ll be showing it off at PAX South, if anyone’s gonna be there.