Is Breath of the Wild "Blah"?

I will not abide this rampant cynophobia.

I’m okay with the sinophobia though.

1 Like

I downloaded this game and it took like 2 hours to update and install and then it gave me lots of grief when signing up for an account cuz it has the worst captcha system I’ve ever seen and then it made me watch some really bad cutscenes AND THEN it stuck me in a tutorial that forced me to tail the most annoying Navi in history and it warped me back to the start point if I refused to do so AND THEN it told me how to execute charge attacks and when I was like ‘yeah I get it I see the text on the screen let’s go to town’ it warped me backwards and insisted I nuke two freshly spawned enemies

AND THEN

I came across two Nise Moblins that took a dozen hits to kill each and I uninstalled cuz holy shit does this game hold your hand and treat you like a fuckin’ baby, holy shit.

17 Likes

Oh dang. Did it always have a tutorial? I remember it opening with you on a beach and you can fuck around.

Oh wait, but then maybe you do meet a fairy thing or something.

I dunno.

It’s free though.

I hear there are at least two Zelda games that are also free and playable at high resolutions and framerates, right now, on a computer, and they just might take less time to download and install than Genshin Impact

16 Likes

I also spent about 90 minutes with Genshin Impact and was really irritated by its opening tutorial section, though my memories of it are not as clear as HOBO’s

3 Likes
tricks for getting higher

If you start a fire you can create an updraft you can ride on your glider. Up draft scales with the fire size to a certain extent. You can keep logs in your inventory. I used it quite a few times to get around obstacles and start climbs higher.

When climbing and your stamina is in the red you get an extra big desperation jump

5 Likes

i played genshin for a couple weeks when they added the tcg to it and yes, there absolutely is a very handhold-y tutorial section that has been there since the very beginning afaik. it starts on the beach and more or less continues until you have the glider and each of the initial free characters, since before then you can basically accomplish nothing in the world, and this is all gated behind a mostly very boring msq. after a point you can wander around freely, but real progress is gated behind the msq, and additionally at least in the case of venti a really important exploration/traversal tool is locked behind gacha where in botw it would just be locked behind a divine beast or whatever. in botw as far as i’m aware there is a modest tutorial section and then you can walk straight to ganon if you want to, i’m genuinely unsure how this is more handhold-y

also, genshin is not exactly free, let’s be honest. i enjoyed the game for what it was and i even like a lot of the character designs and art and vo because i’m a mark but like, even i can admit this about it

6 Likes

i just feel bad now like

agreed, botw has some flaws → yeah genshin impact is how you do it → no not like THAT

4 Likes

And in BotW, pressing down on the direction buttons to whistle canceled the recovery period before you can start climbing again when you press the run button to let go while climbing. It was almost like an unlimited stamina cheat if the slope wasn’t too steep

3 Likes

A spiritually similar trick for when you find yourself in a hairy combat situation: if you quicksave, go to title screen, and reload, the AI’s state gets reinitialized so the enemies will wander around in confusion for several seconds before they aggro on you again

3 Likes

it’s kinda shocking how little state the game’s saves store tbh

3 Likes

Watching a gameplay preview of TotK I had this same reaction. I don’t think it would ruin the game for me but the player did all this amazing inventive stuff to get to an isolated island in the sky, very neat, then at the end this little dude pops up to explicitly tell you he was waiting here all along and that you didn’t actually do anything that unexpected. I’d rather get a useless item I don’t even register

3 Likes

What if Mario levels gained a little sparkle in the overworld if you beat them with only 0.5 A button presses

14 Likes

Yeah, I’m fine to admit I just forgot how hand-holdy Genshin is at the beginning.

Maybe it didn’t bother me as much because I left the VO as Chinese and didn’t pay that much attention to what it was telling me.

Could also be that you’re gonna be wowed by your first open world game where you can actually see the horizon and less wowed by the second, and for most people that game was BotW, and for me it was Genshin.

Again though: played it for, like, an hour and then didn’t want to talk to villagers.

I think part of it might have been low expectations. I mean, look: when you hear about a freemium gatcha BotW clone, you don’t expect it to actually be successful at the cloning BotW part. Like for game that absolutely IS free, that’s a ton of game right there.

I never got to see how necessary the gatcha stuff is, but reviews I saw said you could reasonably have a good time without buying anything. And for those poo-pooing this, my brother is very poor, and Genshin is a game I can actually recommend to him.

Also, thanks for the tips/tricks y’all, but anything that seems like a glitch i’d have to look up I’m ignoring for now.

I try to have a no-help experience with games until I get to a part that might make me give up forever.

1 Like

someone i know wouldn’t stop raving to me about how great breath of the wild is and i sat down and watched them try to climb a sheer cliff face with a stretched texture for 15 minutes and that’s about my total impression of breath of the wild

4 Likes

in a lot of ways imo that’s the best part of these games i think they have some great traversal mechanics

14 Likes

yeah honestly feel botw and death stranding make a great double feature for this reason

7 Likes

After this thread, I decided that all I wanted to do was climb all the towers that unlock the map and unlock the whole map.

So that’s what I did. If I found a shrine, I’d add it so I have more fast travel checkpoints, but I didn’t actually go in most of the shrines I found. I just concentrated on climbing the highest mountain in a region, looking for towers that were still red, and finding ways to glide to them without actually fighting any enemies, because I had three hearts and the beginner armor.

A week or two ago, I finished the map, so then I decided to start teleporting to all the shrines I skipped and beat them one by one. I did that now, but I had to skip some of the ones with monsters, because they were too annoying to do when I die in one hit.

So now I’ve cashed in some upgrades, and I guess I’m going to decide whether I just keep hunting shrines, go to the first story section and see what the progression is “supposed” to be, or just go right to fighting the big beast things, since I found three of them already.

Overall, this thread helped me a lot by confirming that I could just do whatever I wanted. For some reason I was feeling really constrained by the game, like it was going to force me to follow a certain path–maybe because the opening was so directed. The main thing I always want to do in games, whether I’m supposed to or not is to climb really high, so that’s been a fun way for me to play the game. And I liked the idea of putting fast travel markers all over the map and finding every village so that if I ever decide to play the story it will take me, like, an hour to just warp to each point.

I kind of like the idea of playing the game in “layers”: unlock the map, beat lots of shrines, beat the ancient beasts, beat the game.

Though each layer gets a big further from what I actually like doing, so we’ll see if I actually beat it.

6 Likes

Overall, to cap the thread (I guess), I wouldn’t say the game is blah, once you realize you can do whatever you want.

I also wouldn’t say it’s 10/10 best Zelda ever, best game ever.

I guess it will be just like Ocarina, where a certain generation for whom it was their first big boy game will always remember it as the greatest of all time. And the rest of us will be forced to say, “Yeah, it’s good, but…it’s not that good.”

I mean, I’m an FFVII pervert, so I can’t be too judgmental.

In a more modern context, the game definitely feels like a fairly generic implementation of the type of open world that current technology allows (basically, really far-reaching horizons). If it weren’t a Zelda game, I’m not sure it would get much hype–though maybe the timing would have been such that it would still have made a splash. I think it probably would have needed some gimmick, compelling theme, or aesthetic.

So, I dunno. 8/10. Not that many games hold my attention this long, though the experience can often feel a bit bland.

3 Likes