Inside NES Games

This later version of Metroid still has no battery, of course, but it appears to use a board that’s intended for a game that uses a battery.

It even tells you what kind to use:

inside_nes_metroid_alt

Shadowgate has the largest board of any game I’ve opened up so far.

These are the ones in Shadowgate:

inside_nes_shadowgate_alt1

inside_nes_shadowgate_alt2

Here’s Dragon Warrior 2, with musical accompaniment:

In the days when virtually every licensed property video game was mediocre at best, I was fond of Beetlejuice.

6 Likes

SB Secrete Santa secreted a Xevious model kit for me a couple years ago.

Karnov doesn’t quite have the bare-bones board structure that I expected it to.

I’ve related my experience with the Athena NES game previously.

Since I have almost no memory of what Ghost Lion is like, I must never have played it all the way through.

Kabuki: Quantum Fighter has some good animation but is quite unforgiving.

Its board includes a structure that I’ve otherwise seen only in Shadowgate so far:

inside_nes_kabuki_quantum_fighter_alt

10 Likes

My favorite version of Dragon Spirit.

I didn’t know who the guy on Ironsword was back when I played it for the first time, but I remember thinking that he looked a little too large and confident to represent the character in the game.

For some reason, I have two copies of Super Mario Bros. 2.

And for some reason, the boards are not the same.

12 Likes

I’ve finished going through my collection. Most games are similar to those I’ve already included here, but I found a few more that are worth mentioning.

While Super Mario Bros. alone was one of the simplest boards, I was surprised to find that Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt together look like this:

Kirby’s Adventure is as elaborate as Shadowgate and includes a Hyundai component.

Might & Magic is also comparable to Shadowgate.

But the overall winner for largest board isn’t a game with a battery, it’s Castlevania 3.

I don’t know why this one is so different from the others, but it’s a monster.

7 Likes

MMC5 baybee

1 Like

good heavens the mmc5 has an absurd number of pins

2 Likes

you want too many sprites, you get too many pins

1 Like

Huh, just this right after checking this thread

1 Like

Weird, solder blobs like on the Mario/Duckhunt boards are usually from bootleg carts.

But I’m guessing you’ve had that one for a while?

Yes, I have two copies and they both look like that. I’m pretty sure one of the copies I still have came with my NES when I bought it, but I can’t say that for certain. It also doesn’t have the © Nintendo that every other game seems to.

The only other photo I can easily find looks like that, too.

If only someone else on this forum also had a Mario duckhunt cart she could crack open when she gets home to see. :thinking:

(I’ll check it out in a couple hours is what I’m saying)

Ok what the hell mine looks totally normal.

1 Like

Also looking more closely at the labels they’re pretty different too!
Mine

The one you linked to:
But yours looks the same as mine on the outside:

So even the same NES game might have had a few different production runs I guess? But still kinda weird they have those solder blobs.

1 Like

those blobs in wourme’s smb/duck hunt cart are called glop tops. it’s a very cheap way of packaging integrated circuits. assuming wourme’s cart is legit (i bet it is), then that design would indicate that nintendo was really trying make that cart as cheap as possible, since it was a pack-in game and all.

5 Likes

I came across this site the other night when I searched for a photo of Dragon Warrior 4’s innards:

For Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt, they show the version I have:

Then again, they also say on that page that Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt is a single-player game, and of course that’s not entirely accurate.

1 Like

I wonder why my cartridge is the odd one out. Because it does make sense to use cheap solder blobs and all. Maybe mine is a lot older? The label certainly looks that way.

My copies have “gamebit” screws, which seems to indicate that they they are relatively new. The oldest games in my collection seem to have normal screws. (I was late to the game when I finally got my NES in 1991.)

I think it would be fun to transfer all of my NES games to these so that I’d have to identify them by their boards.

Good thing that would be prohibitively expensive or I might be tempted.

2 Likes

Mine had gamebits too, though.

This but put little dioramas in the empty space.

3 Likes

In my lack of photography skills I accidentally managed to capture Q*bert at an almost Q*bertian angle. ; )

Ended up having to open it up to clean it enough to get it to dump; seeing that tiny circuit board reminded me of this thread. ^ _^

4 Likes