If You Find Yourself in Tokyo(Updated for 2023)

the nicest dump i took in japan:
the fifth floor of this GINZA SIX building
really stewed on the pot in there for a while
if you find yourself in this shopping mall building try the fifth floor toilets

4 Likes

I’m just now realizing what a privilege it would be to relieve myself in a castle.

Yeah it’s great.

Realizing just now that I also pooped in the retirement home of Jefferson Davis.

2 Likes

Contemplating making a trip to the White House of the Confederacy just for this.

Space Station Bar is worth a visit.
America-mura is an interesting neighborhood with lots of decent clothes shops.
Dotonbori is the most obvious place to go, but a good obvious place. There are lots of restaurants to check out.

If you go to Osaka you should explore Kansai region.
A lot of nearby places are neat, and are manageable train rides.
Nara, Kyoto, and Kobe, are all pretty close.
Himeji is a bit further out, but the castle is awesome.

Though, Kyoto could probably use

a sign that says “Stay Home We’re Full”.

more then Tokyo.

3 Likes

Hopefully on the couch

1 Like

Absolutely on the Kyoto needing the Stay Home sign. Here regularly that it is awful.

Went to The World Trade Building today. It is still nice.

1 Like

Osaka seemed the most overcrowded while I was there, but it was a weekend so that maybe explains that. Kyoto didn’t actually seem all that crowded to me, at least compared to Tokyo and Osaka. I guess it just depends where you go and what time

It’s not really about overcrowding, it’s about disruptive negative influence.

Tokyo and Osaka are big cities which helps dissipate the tourists and their influence.
Kyoto is a lot smaller, and is all about traditional culture. It is a lot easier to accidentally disrupt and influence then a bustling metropolis.

The Kyoto station area is a tourist-pile the like of which you won’t see outside of Tokyo’s Akihabara. Akihabara is one of many stations and is easily avoided. Kyoto station is an important central hub that Kyoto residents come home to. That’s not to say there is no disruptive influence in Tokyo. The Shibuya crossing tourists Rudie mentioned are pretty ridiculous. People who’ve lived in Tokyo long enough, may miss their old electric town. Comparatively though, Kyoto seems more interrupted, and more in danger of having damage done to its identity. The influence of foreigners seems more concretely negative. In Tokyo they are adding and taking away, in Kyoto they aren’t really adding anything.

5 Likes

I feel weird saying this as a Negatively Influential Foreigner, but yeah, it was odd to me the extent to which Backpaper Monoculture had colonized the little riverside area in Kyoto

my feelings about the cavalcades of Chinese tourists doing geisha dressup in Gion are more mixed, because if it was more self aware it would satisfy some kind of vicarious revanchism for me, I like the idea of Chinese people expressing intergenerational anti-Japanese feelings through conspicuous consumption rather than overt racism

Nothing is worse than the two drunk (?) white girls I saw in geisha costumes with sloppily applied white face paint though, sorry

1 Like

Y’all are right Kyoto is hell for those that live there.

1 Like

I am here right now it fucking owns

4 Likes

I am in Osaka. It is very good.

1 Like

Crossposting in a couple threads:

I’m prepping to lock down a Japan trip, likely 1 and a half to 2 weeks sometime during Oct/Nov/Dec. Never been though I long deliberated and almost made a springtime trip over the last couple years.

I’ll be combing these threads again (super juicy) but aside from my loose goals and destination aims, simply asking for my peeps located or well lived-traveled there:

Of those last three months, any suggestion on the best period to visit for both goings on and weather? I know the general temps but no real big events to plan around…yet. Reading level pre-kanji is novice slow, listening speaking not enough to really converse but quick casual interactions, around the same.

Come first week of November and fly to Branson with me~.

On weather. Global Warming has fucked us like the rest of the world. So who knows. If you come during October you get all the fun halloween stuff! Late october early november you might get fall colors maybe.

1 Like

English and smart phones means you’ll have no difficulty getting around unless you are going some place weird but a Kyoto/Osaka/Tokyo/Hakone isn’t going to be a problem.

I had been thinking maybe this trip could start or end with Buranson. Duo flying there would be awesome. And yeah Halloween’s gotta be undeniably wild. Plus seeing more country during a season shift…? Hmm that already sounds pretty solid.

I’ll be stirring what exactly I’d wanna do over the trip but damn things being malleable is good. Actually that might be around the same time someone else I know could be traveling, too. He’s also somewhat fluent from what I recall. Lotta possibilities!

I should probably smack the rust from my language study.

Warning from my trip last year: Late October in Japan is way warmer than you think it is going to be.

1 Like

It was way warmer for the rest of us as well! Global Warming is a bastard.

Yeah, I didn’t know if that was normal, but man I wish I had bought some freaking shorts.

2 Likes