I found an easter egg from 1977

mess no longer exists! all that stuff is now in mame

This is the shit I’m on Selectbutton for

11 Likes

Half my problem is that I haven’t used OBS before. I’ll give it a try soon, although I’ll be busy this weekend.

Thanks to your suggestion, you all can now stare at an unmoving-but-occasionally-flickering screen for a solid minute while listening to the dulcet monotone of my voice as I read off the passcode.

Also in the process of making this video I realized that I had one of the digits of the code wrong in the original post. This has now been corrected.

12 Likes

It turns out numbers stations were just soviet spies entering long codes into channel F games.

11 Likes

This rules.

1 Like

Suffer like G did?

3 Likes

I’ve got fantastic news for you. This has successfully taken the throne as the very first Easter Egg in a video game.

Spitfire was out and being advertised by April 15, 1977.

Here is a newspaper article from that date, which mentions Spitfire:

It’s from the Mansfield News Journal in Ohio.

26 Likes

Channel F preservationist extraordinaire e5frog added line-by-line comments to the relevant code in this disassembly.

http://channelf.se/veswiki/index.php?title=Disassembly:Videocart_4

3 Likes

holy shit!

newrecord

3 Likes

Greatest website

3 Likes

Posting in a legendary thread.

6 Likes

Hello all…

My name is Michael K Glass… Jr.

Someone just notified me on reddit this morning about this post, and I am VERY excited about the thought that this might be the earliest easter egg ever found!

Michael was my father, and while I cannot confirm that this is in fact his easter egg, I can confirm (without current proof, unfortunately… working on that) that he developed games back in the 70’s and 80’s for Atari and other systems.

I grew up in the custody of my Aunt and Uncle, so I don’t know a whole lot about his work… did he work for a company, or freelance? How long did he program games? Not sure. But I did enjoy visiting him from time to time, and I remember playing a lot of silly, crazy games that I am sure never even made it to market!

Unfortunately, my Dad passed away in 2005, so we’ll never really know for sure. But I’m asking his sister (the Aunt I grew up with) if she has any information. She is heavy into geneology, so if anyone has records, she does! If I find anything out I’ll share it here.

Thank you so much for finding this, and sharing. My sister just passed away last weekend, so it’s nice to find some uplifting news about our father.

I just created this account to post, and it’s my first time here. If you have any questions, I will try to answer them the best I can, but please be aware that I didn’t know him too well. I do know that he was a brilliant programmer, loved to play pool (as do I – I’m a pool instructor now), and loved his recreational… herbs :). And I’m sure he would be thrilled to know that someone finally found his easter egg!

48 Likes

Finding this thread seems like a feat in its own right…!

hi there! thanks for coming by and sharing, im glad you think the timing is serendipitous!

what was your fathers favorite strain of weed?

i suck at pool, but i really enjoyed MINNESOTA FATS: POOL LEGEND’s soundtrack

2 Likes

Ha ha. Not too sure… I was a young kid back then, and when I was older I didn’t really see my father much.

1 Like

ohh i misread as you loving his recreational herbs! i dont condone children smoking weed aaa!

Well, as I said, somebody told me on Reddit, and linked me to this story. But still, pretty fucking cool!

3 Likes

Hahaha! Yeah, my aunt and uncle would’ve been really thrilled if he had shared them with me :joy:

3 Likes

ohhh its cuz andi tweeted about it, it was retweeted by K.thor and exp magazine too

and i see jason scott in the replies

2 Likes