I couldn't steal Josh Sawyers idea to rip off in the name of the rose fast enough (pentiment)

game features a gossipy charcoal burner 15 out of 10

16 Likes

no fucking combat holy shit I gotta play this

3 Likes

The only battle…is intellectual!!!

2 Likes

mausfanger :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

since this game doesnt have combat i picked rapscallion. ill make a fight godblessit

4 Likes

lol, je sawyer like “YES I LOVE THE NAME OF THE ROSE” every second of this game

8 Likes

in the beginning was the Reference, and the Reference was with God, and the Reference was God

4 Likes

The murder mystery is only act one?! How much game is there?

2 Likes

hell yeah, my favorite detail about the HRE was that landsknechts were exempt from sumptuary laws so they all dressed like peacocks

7 Likes

It’s 20 hours long. You gotta see 25 years of this guy’s life before you’re done!!

2 Likes

it is incredibly frustrating to be asked to suggest a culprit that doesn’t fit with any of my actual conclusions as the player

my money’s on the head nun or the abbot, i really don’t want to land an old woman, the stonemason, the black magick prior or the nun that does the gardening in the shite. arrgh!! my agency!!

unfortunately, you need the barest amount of evidence to suggest someone and both the head nun and the abbot are non-starters in that regard (though I’m convinced the current abbot poisoned the previous abbot)

2 Likes

guessed the string-puller v. early based entirely on who would be placed to know the things they’re prodding about but oh well

two three (!) generations of mausfanger

4 Likes

Is the anchoress the one delivering the cryptic messages? I can’t think of anyone else who would even be able to

1 Like

sort of!

1 Like

Played three hours of this tonight and it whips. I love how frequently I get to use dialogue related to my background… I picked logic as a secondary university study and I love how all my logic dialogue makes me sound like an insufferable asshole. In some cases it is very obviously the wrong choice. Delightful!!!

4 Likes

I played a law school dropout/logician/occult guy. Basically allowed to craft the worst possible poster and unleash him on the 16th century. What a game.

13 Likes

I’m a med school dropout who went to work in Italy and LOOOOOOVES books, nature, and logic. The dialogue choices are of course absolutely top notch… they’re always challenging you to navigate socially tense situations and many of the options you get from your background choices feel like escape valves but aren’t actually always that. Players are all cowards, we all love an escape valve option in dialogue, and this game makes even staying silent feel quite dangerous sometimes. I love it

6 Likes

I like that every time I’ve mentioned any of my other background choices it’s been helpful or relevant but working in Poland has led me into at least two conversations where Andreas has excitedly tried to explain a new form of woodcutting he learned in Krakow to people who immediately cut him off mid sentence

8 Likes

Its one of my favorite rpg design trends: character specialization gives you more options, but not necessarily more solutions

9 Likes