HITMAN™

The last level of Patient Zero is a nightmare in terms of “do your task at hand as quickly as possible, or else.”

Actually a lot of the Patient Zero levels had pretty good progression that deviated from base game’s levels. Enough to really throw me off, anyway. The sniper level in Colorado was a lot of fun.

Kinda sad to say I’ve mostly just been playing Paris and Sapienza this whole time? I don’t think that speaks to the quality of Hitman 2’s levels as much as it does how cozy I am with chucking that virus tube at that scientist in Italy right after smothering the rich dude.

At least I unlocked a poison vial! Should make taking out Sean Bean this week easier, assuming he drinks something at some point.

2 Likes

inconspicuous

Anybody take a stab at that Sean Bean target yet?

It looks like there’s a lot more voice work between 47 and him than past Elusive Targets, which makes me wonder if they’ll keep that up, or if it’s just more of a one-time thing.

I killed him with the robot, never even got to meet him

Ah wow that sounds a lot safer than how I was gonna try to approach it (poisoning his drink).

yeah I played it safe for the first one. I couldn’t remember if you can restart at any time once you begin or if once the target is killed you’re locked in, so I just did it in a way where I could set the kill up and escape and wait out by the exit and make sure I was able to maintain stealth all up til then, instead of killing him, then making a dumb mistake in the escape. I wasn’t very familiar with that building yet either so I went through it a couple of times in the regular mission for practice

So I’m a newbie who jumped right into Hitman 2 and I don’t know how this elusive target stuff works. What… what is this?

it’s a unique target only available for a limited amount of time, and once you kill them they’re gone for good, or if you die in the attempt you’re locked out from every trying again.

I sniped him first chance I had, which of course only net me 3 stars out of 5, so I’ll have to be a bit more hands on next time.

Given the way they’ve set up things I get the feeling a running gag this season is going to be that Sean Bean’s gonna come back several times as an elusive target.

If so, at least they thought ahead to have him come back. I don’t think they ever brought back the Gary Busey hit after that first time (probably because they’d have to pay him (and/or Gary Cole) again).

I want this table

Well, that’s Sean Bean down.

My not using a DS4 lately almost did me in twice, though. Between having trouble aiming at the security camera (setting off an alert on my first attempt) and the mushy D-Pad causing me to accidentally flash my pistol repeatedly, it was, uh, tense.

Gotta keep hammering away at Sapienza, at least until I can get those breach charges. The scanner hacks you get from Hokkaido would come in handy, but at some point I probably ought to play actual Hitman 2.

I was climbing around in mumbai and a guard looked up and saw me hanging there and said “please, fall on your ass. god, I beg you, give this to me”

5 Likes

This might have been covered in here already, but does Hitman 2 work if you are unlikely to go back and play the same missions over and over? The expectation that I would was the big reason I never really bothered with the episodic first game.

There’s generally a way to do any given mission with just the basic loadout, but the bulk of the fun is replaying the missions, unlocking more gear to take back into replays of other missions, so on and so forth.

I mean, you could buy the game and the legacy pack and just do a quick run from Tutorial > Hitman > Hitman 2, I just don’t know how satisfying that would be.

1 Like

The core gameplay “loop” is really all about replaying levels. Each level is an enormous machine, with a variety of events, characters, items, and secrets dispersed all about. While on its face the game is about a jet-setting hitman traveling the world and taking out targets, what it’s really about is a man who keeps getting into Groundhog Day scenarios and using his unfolding knowledge of the day’s events to engineer complex and cartoonish murder situations.

It’s kind of like a version of Majora’s Mask where the sidequests are extrapolated until they become the main game.

If you only played each level once, you’d see about 5% of the game, and you’d be missing the entire point of it.

8 Likes

the levels themselves can be pretty trivial to get through unless you want to set rules for yourself. every level you can just turn on the “mission stories” if you wanted, follow the prompts and be guided through to the end pretty quickly. If you just wanted to finish a level once and do nothing more with, there wouldn’t be much to it.

1 Like

OneSecondBefore, you were saying they took down the Hitman 1 purchase options? That’s a shame, as they had been distributing it free with one level entire that really gave an honest taste of the full game.