HIGH-RISE

Yeah, I’ve been waiting for this adaptation. And the trailer does a good job of making it look marvelous!

Of course I never do anything anymore. Maybe I’ll see this in another thirteen years.

alright it’s out and all I hear is that it’s really bad by Serious Film Crit Blogs, what’s the status

Don’t read Serious Film Crit Blogs.

it’s being marketed in taiwan as a kind of zany psychedelic sexy romp where you may or may not get to see hiddleston’s buns, is this an actual representation of what the film is really like?

There’s a lot of dancing.

I mean, the trailer is really excellent. Better than I had hoped, when hearing it was getting adapted.

In what ways are the sniffers deriding it?

I like this movie.

It recreates the Ballard thing of HEY LOOK AT THIS METAPHOR M-E-T-A-P-H-O-R pretty strong.

2 Likes

Man I enjoyed the heck out of this movie. The trailer did not let me down.

1 Like

I’ve scanned through a few reviews. They seem split between people saying, “actually it’s a really good adaptation, probably the best that Ballard has seen so far, full of really involving imagery and performances” and more conservative outlets saying “It’s self-indulgent and DOESN’T MAKE ANY SEEEENSSSSSEEE!!!”

I’m… not particularly moved by the latter argument, though there may well be something to it. So far, from a distance, it still sounds good.

As long as you get really early on that the whole thing is just about class struggle, there is nothing in it that doesn’t make sense. Maybe requires some thought afterwards, but overall makes a lot of sense.

Oh yeah, it doesn’t hurt that it is a goddamn beautiful movie. So many really lovely shots, even of just awful horrific stuff.

1 Like

Hard to believe that conservatives would demonstrate such a stunning lack of imagination.

I’m fairly ambivalent towards this. I don’t like when characters do not act in any normal way and only function as allegories, and you have to put some distance and watch them for afar, and think about what their actions are supposed to represent instead of having any kind of connection.

Also what the hell was up with that kid

It did look gorgeous though

1 Like

I should think that wouldn’t even qualify as subtext. I mean. If it is, I think the word ceases to hold all meaning.

You’d be amazed at people missing this though.

Just to contextualize that, how are you with Kubrick?

Well. Okay. But. That’s kind of the major draw of the story, for me. It’s such a blatant allegory, rendered in such a physical way, that you can have lots of fun banging the pieces together to make important-sounding noise.

It’s a way to make mischief with stuff that might be overly serious, kinda.

Oh, entirely.

I think part of it is American audiences watching something that is really tied to British class struggles, and not relating because of that weird way we have in America of pretending class isn’t real? Something along those lines.

this may sound like me going off on a tangent or tambling, but if americans started to believe in the class divide, it’d mean to dudes from ted cruz’s generation that the commies won which was like their biggest fear.

:unamused:

Indeed.

You ain’t wrong.