Help make sure my film about game preservation isn't stupid!

as a big computer dork

FUCK PERIOD ACCURACY, DO WHAT YOU WANT

I’ve been thinking about where to get sound effects, so I re-downloaded WorldsChat and went through the installation folder on the off chance that its sound effects would just be chilling in .wavs for me to use. Not only are they in there, there’s also an enormous treasure trove of midi music I can use! I’d been waiting on a friend of mine to make some 90’s midi style ambient music, but it turns out the real deal was just sitting here waiting for me.

Normally I’d be concerned about the copyright implications of borrowing this music, but since it’s a documentary about the software shot within the software, the legal territory is already weird enough that I’m just going to go for it.

The actual viewport through which you can see the game Worlds only takes up about 2/3 of the screen, so I’m putting little animated character portraits of my guest and I in the bottom 1/3. For a while I’ve planned to also put in a little dialogue box containing an animated waveform of our speech as we talk. Today I thought: You know what, maybe I should actually put subtitles in there instead. It’s a hell of a lot more useful than waveforms, it makes the film more accessible to the hard of hearing, and it comports with what seems to be the new thing to do to get your video to go viral - always include subtitles so people can follow the preview without clicking the video.

People are baking in subtitles now? Youtube supports them, but I guess that’s for twitter? How does Facebook video and instagram work?

I believe that content farm style video producers are typically baking in subtitles right now, especially for Facebook Video.