hello friends, what are yr fave albums

butter 08 - butter 08
i wish i lived in daria mostly

m.i.a. - matangi
it appropriates electronic musical styles from all over the world but not in the bad diplo way. i want more things to sound like it.

ratking - 700 fill
it’s icy and starving

bjork - homogenic
it’s icy and starving

beastie boys - ill communication
daria-core, the way the beastie boys evolved over time resonates with me

kool a.d. - word o.k.
this has some of the best kool a.d. lines recycled and otherwise. he is a good world figure

soul coughing - el oso
it’s very unique and like, yeah. mike doughty has such a 00s voice. daria-core

prince - dirty mind
i ate some good ice cream to this. falsetto prince makes me feel special

le tigre - le tigre
this is also very daria and 00s. runner-up:bs2000 - simply mortified. my body is ready

v-3 - photograph burns
the writing is good. it’s sad in a certain way. wish i lived in austin texas in 94

v.a. - so young but so cold: underground french music 1977-1983
i like blogspot minimal wave from a distance

no trend - a dozen dead roses
no wave is good

uglyman - ugly lover
80s digital dancehall is special. uglyman has a pretty voice

mr. muthafuckin eXquire - lost in translation
mr. mfn ex is a really charming character. the el-p beats on this are good. the best rap song ever maybe is the last track

luscious jackson - fever in fever out
daria-core

isaac hayes - hot buttered soul
walk on by should be one million dollars on itunes

soulja boy - smooky
it’s so happy!

soulja boy - juice
it’s so happy!

bowery electric - lushlife
daria-core but also music i would like to listen to on a shitty portable radio speaker at 2 am w/ loved one

black devil disco club - 28 after
goth disco

2 Likes

I don’t know how people are able to narrow these things down, there is too much to adore

1 Like

In 11th grade, I picked up Slanted and Enchanted while tagging along with a friend on a visit to the college he was applying to. I only knew of it through a single very convincing blurb in Spin. Even though Terror Twilight was still months away I didn’t know anyone who had heard of these guys. I instantly fell in love with it and it felt like my secret discovery. And when everyone was listening to really bad knockoffs of Pavement like a year later, I was so confused.

1 Like

Right! I’m quite a bit younger so it’s even weirder to think about simultaneously seminal and secret they are.

My introduction to them was a rerun of the Space Ghost episode where Moltar introduces them as the Beatles.

3 Likes

Space Ghost was the icing on the cake. That show was formative for me too too, and catching them on there after I had already gotten into them cemented their coolness.

I probably haven’t posted about how I very briefly hung out in a small kitchen next to Mark Ibold in a year or so, so I guess I’ll mention that.

Pavement is tight.

1 Like

I really like the MF Doom’s instrumentals. They are all in his Special Herbs collection.

1 Like

If i’m actually going to make a go of this, this thread better end up in Tune of the Fatman

Oops it’s already there OK time to waste a whole work day!

bloc party - silent alarm
I consider this album my “graduation” from listening to shitty pop punk; I still really like it and wish bloc party could get even half as close to where they started why kele why

tokyo police club - a lesson in crime ep
more angular strokes-y guitar rock that was pretty much My Thing for way too long

los campesinos! - hold on now, youngster
youth p much

madvillain - madvillainy
its “classic”-ness has been called into question but honestly it’s so sonically unique that I’m convinced it couldn’t be made again except madvillainy 2 came out but I haven’t listened to it

armin van buuren - universal religion 2004
it’s a mix cd but damn if it isn’t one of the better trance mixes I’ve listened to; armin has terrible taste but mid 00’s trance was the best trance was ever going to get so he couldn’t really go wrong in this one, especially considering how many of these tracks ended up in other mixes of the time

burial - untrue
rain-drenched garage-y dubstep (before dubstep was terrible) from a mysterious, reclusive producer

burial - kindred ep
each one of the tracks on this ep are explorations of album form through single tracks and they’re beautiful

baths - obsidian
dark, sad, yet intimate album. usually when I listen to saddark music it’s very broad sonically – baths sings about sharing a toilet seat with a boyfriend

anohni - hopelessness

infinity shred - sanctuary
pretty much the only NY-based chiptune band that made it out of chiptune unscathed – sanctuary is an expansive, textured mission statement

mssingno - s/t + fones
lumping these in together because they’re two separate eps that could be an album. burial with 808s, rave ephemera, pitch-shifted r&b

4 Likes

I caught Infinity Shred with nullsleep a couple weeks back, and they really surprised me. I only have vague memories of a Starscream song or two, so I had no idea what I was getting into. They’re kind of the chill introspective Anamanaguchi.

oh my GOD

yeah hey

My Bloody Valentine - Isn’t Anything
I know Loveless or whatever but this album rips so much harder and has so much more fierceness and sexuality and punkrock energy. Play this as loud as your ears can handle. This is the record i’ve listened to most in my life

Xiu Xiu - Fabulous Muscles
My first real queer album. Still listen to this and scream along when i get drunk enough, along with La Foret. It’s as soulful and arresting as histrionics get. Jamie Stewart and company are the real deal and are doing really incredible work these days after a slew of less impressive records. Can’t wait for the new one in feb.

did i ever mention that one of the songs on Women As Lovers is about the first girl i ever kissed? true story guyz

Dopplereffekt - Gesamkunstwerk
The single essential electro record. A black man from detroit (and previous half of Drexciya) channeling the Kraftwerk essence in both sound and character sets the bar by which all of techno is judged. FYI probably 3/4 of the great electro records you’ve ever heard were made by this guy. The Japanese Telecom records are of special mention.

Swans - Soundtracks For The Blind
“The goal is ecstasy.”
I don’t care how great the current Swans run is, this record has served as their boilerplate these days and they aren’t gonna do any better than this. This record was almost a religious artifact to me in my early 20s. Spiritual and brutal in equal measure.

Actress - Splazsh
Why is this record so listenable? I don’t get it. It’s so weird. when i bought this bc i thought it was an edgy thing to do i ended up listening to it front to back every other day for six months

Coil - Ape Of Naples
This is the most graceful Coil record to my mind and given the necromancy involved in its production it ends up being the most Coil-y of Coil records. It’s witchy and hypnotic and goosebumpy. If i had the fortune to turn anyone on to a particular band as a result of this post it would be Coil, go listen to Coil. This just got repressed. get it

The Cure - Faith
Don’t make fun of me this record rules

Ilkae - Pistachio Island
Mid-90’s tracker IDM anyone? @meauxdal reminds me of this record. go for it you are fucking great

Venetian Snares - rossz csillag alatt született
Probably the best breakcore record ever made? The billie holliday suicide song on this one is particularly shredding.

Oneohtrix Point Never - R Plus Seven
The most aesthetically successful OPN joint. This record sure sounds exactly like the cover art would have you think. it also has no business being this listenable.

Boards Of Canada - A Few Old Tunes Vol. 2
every one of their records are hippie trash compared to these traxxx

Tropic Of Cancer - Restless Idylls
Effortlessly moody. Basically crack-rock for a lapsed goth like me.

Godspeed You Black Emperor - Lift Yr Skinny Fists Comme Antennas To Heaven
I’m canadian and vaguely anarchist and of montreal stock so i’m required to like this. It is legit one of the best headphone albums i’ve ever heard. if GYBE ever plays in your area, pls go, they are cool folks.

ok i think thats enough for now

6 Likes

fuck I forgot to mention the first two prefuse 73 albums

like, they’re probably singularly responsible for me even being into instrumental hip hop in the first place