Grotesque videogames

Can’t believe I didn’t think to bring up Sonic Adventure until just now.

2 Likes

also I kind of want to elect gravity rush as particularly grotesque in a modern version of an early dreamcast game
its not very pretty to look at but has its own charm, like running through a sewer

Oh. Second Life, I guess.

did anyone already mention time commando?

because time commando

5 Likes

Skunny AKA Skunny 32-bit AKA Skinny: Special Edition

NOTE: this game commits various levels of Sound Crimes

I’m no good at picking representative videos, so I was hoping this would embed the playlist instead of the first video with the playlist following. Oh well.

The DOS Shareware Era committed many, many crimes of sound and visual. Bless it.

The hell is happening in the first screenshot

Illbleed is amazing but unfortunately basically unplayable, even with how hard its shitworld beckons

2 Likes

The preview plane reminded me of this actual gem, which itself is still kind of grotesque:

Like, half grotesque and half not

1 Like
2 Likes

I wanna say that’s the very last level in Sonic’s mode. You work your way around this huge glowing cylinder on elevators…but if you fall off just right, you can actually land where I was and all you see is the giant cylinder. Plus you don’t have a choice but to jump off and die. I love it.

(it was hard to choose between “Kat calling thing crazy” and “Kat with giant boner”, but I think I got it right)

2 Likes

Crygor’s stages in Warioware have always been the best, because they look so pleasantly grotesque

Bishi Bashi has similar mini games.
Mechanical Pencil Blaster may have been an influence on my life

1 Like

Illbleed probably deserves to be a part of that personal-favorite-quasi-genre of mine that is “games that have mystery in their design and couldn’t possibly be played without a guide, right?”

actually wait no all of its design is straight up bonkers and stupid and I will never be able to truly appreciate it

sorry illbleed

what the fuck this is adorable and has jams

Is that a cocktail shaker, a funerary urn, or a trashcan?

1 Like

I’ve not had a chance to play it, but it seems like work time fun would be a worthy entry

1 Like
1 Like

YES OR NO-game is ace as executed in this vid.

where does the original ps1 resident evil or something like parasite eve fit into this
are they considered grotesque by way of having ugly 3d polygonal chopped up models or

there are a lot of early psp games that would fit, not so much the nds I thik

The original Resident Evil is beautiful. I shall hear no argument.

2 Likes