Grotesque videogames

i get grotesque vibes from shin megami tensei 4 and sequel, especially in the static interior scenes, but also this, from a beach dlc (?) for apocalypse

1 Like

I was going to post Cyberdillo. A lot of 3DO games are grotesque in similar ways. Especially 3d first person ones (although Immercenary fascinates me)

For me, a good representative is Betrayal at Krondor. Something about those ugly digitized actors in bad cosplay as sprites in cutscenes, mixed with the crude 3D overworld…

Wait, hold on. I just thought of a better example:

1 Like

It has come to my attention that Koudelka may have the most grotesque bestiary of any videogame.

5 Likes

What about Baroque?

I think a lot of the lower budget Myst knockoffs with live action over prerendered backgrounds could qualify for this thread.

1 Like

Baroque is a gorgeous dithered shadowscape, but if we’re careening off in disgusting then sure

5 Likes

entomorph

1 Like

I had an actual copy of Maabus and even reviewed it but it was never published. It’s a bad game.

1 Like

I needed to post some screenshots of Henry Explorers.

8 Likes

now this is a grotesque meatball

three headed upside down guy is baller

2 Likes

this is wild
I want my dreams to look like this

1 Like

The Void, probably?

Also came with an AOL trial.

11 Likes

From the devs of Franko, the Crazy Revenge.

Be sure to check the game over screen.

2 Likes

Nidhogg 2 will go down as one of the greatest artistic plot twists in history.

2 Likes

Just chillin’ in bed with my fucking space boots on nbd

1 Like

they’ve backpedaled to like, dragon age origins, except that game was already way behind its time (but at least ran on a mid-aughts D&D engine that could be modded out the yinyang)