:gotohell:

I feel like Monster Party belongs here.

2 Likes

the true end of cave story is my favorite hell-related gaming thing

spoilers

Whatā€™s that SimCity 2000 clone where you build Heaven and Hell and zone for the 7 virtues and the 7 sins to house the faithful and the damned? That one. Afterlife I think it was called?

FAKE EDIT: Yes, thatā€™s the one.

Super Metroid follows the ā€œLayer of Depths to Hellā€ kind of atmosphere pretty well, but I would have to say the first Diablo captures the ā€œessenceā€ of hell like no other.

A sorely neglected title on Blizzardā€™s part. Ohwell.

Does Otogi count as hell enough?

Itā€™s more demons unleashed onto earth but still as hell-themed as Doom.

Does Unholy Heights count?

Also Saints Row Get Gat out of hell
and Hell Yeah .

1 Like

Bubsy Visits the James Turrell Retrospective.

How dare you.

I wonder if itā€™d be possible to include one or more of the Silent Hill games in this category.

1 Like

I would mention that the original God of War has a level in Hades, which it really just takes as code for the cheesiest version of the Christian hell possible, but I scrubbed that game from my memory entirely so I canā€™t say this.

Escape From Hell was a Wasteland-esque CRPG where you ironically play as an EA employee in hell. Hitler is recruitable.

1 Like

I absolutely love Afterlife but I suspect its design is flawed in a fundamental way.

Iā€™ve never even reached the requisites to build the endgame structures because as you plane grows, you end up mired in micromanaging zones, which is a nightmare to do. At some point getting past a certain amount of souls is excruciatingly slow.

Itā€™s so bad, thereā€™s actually a game mechanic that optimizes the zones for you (and costs a prohibitive amount of in-game money, so it doesnā€™t really solve anything)

And thatā€™s if you only focus on building a heaven or a hell. If you build both you have to deal with wars between angels and demons wrecking your planes in addition to all the other bullshit.

Amazing soundtrack and cool artwork, though.

Never played it! I was an absolute nut for SC2K and always admired Afterlife from afar. Looking at it zoomed-in on those mobygames screenshots though actually make it look pretty ugly. Now that you tell me its mechanics are wack Iā€™m sort of glad I never dumped hours into it.

Cosmology of Kyoto sends the player to hell upon death.

5 Likes