Got a selection of GOOD STEALS on sale, stranger! (Part 1)

Dino Crisis 2 costs $1.19 this week on PSN. Someone(s) in this community always talked it up as interesting so hey, at that price I can finally find out for myself.

FF12 for PS4 is down to $32 on US Amazon.

Current Humble Bundle has Duck Game, Rain World, and Frog Fractions 2 (seperately from Glittermittenā€¦?) in the higher tiers and thatā€™s pretty good.

Also uh did anyone get an extra copy of Stephenā€™s Sausage Roll back when it was ten bucks? I tragically missed out.

1 Like

If you read the description, it basically says FF2 is hidden in ā€œone of the other gamesā€ so it basically is just them acknowledging what Glittermitten is. And yeah, for 12 bucks, itā€™s pretty legit.

1 Like

I wish that Glittermitten Grove was a better game on its own. Itā€™s very pretty and relaxing.

would be fun if it was a special edition of Glittermitten Grove without FF2 in it, but instead it was hidden in one of the other games

5 Likes

Is this a good bundle?

Blazing Star
Baseball Stars 2
Shock Troopers
Twinkle Star Sprites
King of Monsters

$7.50

??

I mean if you prefer not to play your neogeo games in mame then yeah absolutely

I thought so when I bought it last night while drunk.

Sounds like the emulation is pretty bare bones without any screen options and only a single save file for each game?

Gonna test out Blazing Star when I get a chance sometime tonight.

Are these digital marketplace distributions just straight up legally purchasing the rom? Is there some shit that classifies this kind of stuff as only legal in X or Y particular wrapper configuration?

Can someone buy these things and then just run them in a public MAME cab at their business?

Can they charge money?

well, if you assume that youā€™re buying a license to Version X (in this case, DotEmuā€™s package of game plus emulator) and the license refers to the program as a whole, than, no, you probably arenā€™t getting a catch all license even if they literally give you a zip with the rom and an exe that launches it

it would probably also have the common language of forbidding both public use/exhibition and commercial use as well

all of this is conjecture because Iā€™m not a lawyer and also they donā€™t have an accessible EULA and even then the legality of EULAs still havenā€™t been tested in court

:boh:

1 Like

Iā€™ve definitely been in a bar with a mame cabinet that is almost certainly not licensed. Theyā€™ve talked about arcades that straight up charge to play emulators on the Giant Bombcast. I think nobody has the resources or will to enforce their copyrights in meatspace.

3 Likes

well, the hoops you have to jump through to get an official licence arcade thing is ridiculous.
If the right holders wanted money theyā€™d make an easier process as it stands fuck 'em.

I would vouch for Volgarr the Viking and Westerado in the pay anything tier as well. I donā€™t know that Westerado has more than a few hours of fun to squeeze out of it, but a micro-sized pixel RDR where you have to figure out which randomly chosen NPC in the game is the one who killed your family is a pretty nice hook.

Volgarr is very indebted to a certain class of 16-bit action games (Rastan is the one they name drop and is a good comparison point) but I found the level layouts to be rather well thought out.

1 Like

So yeah I played some Blazing Star and the emulation seems fine. No screen options other than windowed or fullscreen. It was probably silly of me to buy these and the metal slugs when I could just as easily pirate them but

so uh steam summer sale has started

this steam sale, whenever steam stops dying, iā€™m on the lookout for:

• turn-based games in general: rpgs, puzzle games, roguelikes, etc.
  • stuff i can play solely with mouse/touch so i can get some arm exercise on my tablet
  • reasonably cheap online coop games that i can potentially rope friends in on
  • anything sufficiently cheap that might be worth trying out just for the hell of it

kind of action gamed out at this point so itā€™d have to be more on the puzzle-action game side of things.

Dino Crisis 2 brings me back to a very enjoyable, grindy place and time, like Parasite Eve 2.

Itā€™s a far more action and arcade style direction compared to the first game. Less RE atmosphere and horror, lots of points and dino blasting. Been ages since I played but it was fun. Kind of a wacky but neat premise in the plot, too. I now realize this kind of applies to both gamesā€¦

Did ya dig it?

1 Like

Stephenā€™s Sausage Roll is 7.49.

2 Likes