>Get ye flask

Gotcha, yeah that was some of the context I was missing. I still appreciate the game on other axes so it didn’t like ruin my enjoyment of it or anything, was just a little frustrating in the moment. I think I went in with an assumption that the puzzles would be easier than they actually were. (Not that they’re super hard either. The things I missed largely feel like my failings, so they’re either logical or at least seem that way in retrospect).

1 Like

I’ve only played Forgotten and Subserial Network but based off of those I’m inclined to recommend everything aether interactive has done

3 Likes

Forgotten rules, that it holds onto its goals and purpose while being so effortlessly cool is wonderful

Beat the second half of Lost Pig without hints and had a better time! Cute game.

I’ve moved on to Eat Me which is delightfully bizarre.

2 Likes

I hope you like it! Groover’s section in Cragne Manor was by far the most ghastly. I should get back to my playthrough so I can page Daphny when I get there.

Yeah, I’m liking it so far. 3/6 points, still sussing out how to get the rest. The writing is gleefully bleak.

1 Like

Beat Eat Me needing only one external hint for the whole game. I think I got lucky in figuring out the clues for some of them. I like the Scriptorium writings as a vehicle for clues, since you needed to already know some details to make sense of them. I still have a hard time picturing the topology of rooms in an IF game so any puzzle that forces me to think about that I get stuck on..

Playing Metamorphoses now. Only a few rooms in but it’s already very intriguing. These have all been very approachable after getting my IF legs. Feels odd that I was having trouble with it before. I think my expectations, or lack thereof, made them feel more uninviting than they actually are.

2 Likes

draw simple box and line maps. This won’t help you with a zork-style maze but they’re practical for most IF

for example

Heck, if you’re a certain kind of person (me if I’m playing a very complicated puzzle IF), you can keep a twine file open while playing some IF where you map the world as you play

1 Like

I know some folks swear by Trizbort, but I haven’t tried it yet.

2 Likes

I hadn’t heard of this! that’s cool

So some folks from the Cragne Manor slack were discussing possible follow-ups, and lo, one is materializing as we speak: The Interactive Fiction Advent Calendar, which celebrates the 20-year anniversary of Planescape: Torment by having folks build something in the spirit of Planescape in whatever browser-compatible system they prefer. Rooms must be finished by November 12. Seems like this could be fun! I’m signing up today.

3 Likes

This is good in a way that I don’t think is possible in a more graphical medium

1 Like

Some good games on this list; I particularly enjoyed Rematch back in my college days. I should revisit these if work ever slows down again.

3 Likes