>Get ye flask

Good point, although Sierra’s maximalist spirit certainly endured in 3

I’m pretty sure (not 100% sure though) that I’ve played sabbat. In Twine Games I Have Loved there’s particularly Horse Master and Open Sorcery. I tend not to play Twine games too much because I need the weight and physicality of a parser-and-world-model to avoid feeling lost and overwhelmed, which makes no sense the more I think about it, but there it is.

1 Like

blargh i barely remember twine now, its popularity was during a dark time for me
there were like two popular formats for the games when i made my twine, the common multiple-choice click an option and it takes you to a new page, and a different one that would load the words on an infinite page, so when your choices played out you could read the whole story at once
they had names i just cant remember them

i used the second cuz i was making a more linear/ voyeuristic kind of experience

there are a bunch of good ones but theyre from forever ago and half of my bookmarks dont exist anymore :sad:

I think about Galatea basically all the time

2 Likes

Suggesting thread title of “Get ye flask”

2 Likes

i hosted this coz i think the author deleted it. i’m sorry 17

3 Likes

Now THAT’S the kind of pop-cultural reference I was frantically failing to grasp this afternoon!

1 Like

Oh wait hey Cuba did you ever fuck around with Problem Sleuth it’s not real IF or anything but I just thought of it and it’s a fun sort of companion piece maybe

graphics shmaphics… for sooth!

The Homestuck thing? Nah I always stayed far away from that phenomenon

Homestuck is by the same guy but I feel like it’s very much its own thing. PS is a little more straightforward. I’d say go through the first little bit, it will elicit a few chuckles.

play gun mute

3 Likes

writer will do something is great too!

1 Like

Probably a first person game where you never see your avatar until you chance upon a mirror?

1 Like

Yeah, I totally played a first person adventure like that, although it never really used it as a puzzle element. Just a plot twist.

Super Mario 64 comes to mind actually, I never considered that I was essentially seeing through the eyes of Lakitu until you find that mirror room in the castle. Although they do pretty much explain it as such at the start when Lakitu explains the camera controls

2 Likes

This is the most technical of technicalities, but I’m going to take whatever I can get: I won the 2018 XYZZY Award for Best Implementation! (…as did dozens of others, most of whom had considerably more complicated implementations to handle, particularly Jenni Polodna and Ryan Veeder, who actually deserve credit for this absurd undertaking.)

6 Likes

I’m having a very hard time with the puzzles in Lost Pig. After pouring over all the rooms thrice over I don’t know what to do other than look at hints, which I immediately regret upon seeing them. Most of the time I’m only missing one detail.

I like the relationship between the protagonist and the player and the experience it creates (which seems like a natural fit for IF). I think the game is very clever and I had a great time explaining it to a friend but I’m not sure that actually playing it is doing much for me. It feels like if I just gained a little IF literacy maybe this problem would go away, but this being the “beginner” IF has me a little worried.

2 Likes

I think part of it is that the lynchpins in each puzzle don’t follow a pattern, so for a while each puzzle was teaching me to focus on the wrong details in the next puzzle.

I kind of feel like the poor guy who had a hell of a time getting out of the Cuphead tutorial.

Its been a few years since I played it. Structurally I remember the game did a thing where each puzzle was a separate sort of common IF puzzle, so I get how disorienting it is that the progression isn’t one of smooth puzzle mastery

1 Like