genshin impact

yeah it probably won’t. I still played for 7 hours

rapidly realizing that the adventure level gating bullshit is a desperate gambit to hide the fact that the game launched with 5-6 hours tops of content and that a large chunk of the game loop is you running around finding the mats to uncap characters and weapons, which the collection of is essentially on an energy timer

real pretty tho

3 Likes

Seeing commercials for this in Japan.

1 Like

I am a dumb idiot and constantly criticize this game but keep playing it

still pretty tho

8 Likes

did you get to the really big mountain with the three bird statues around it, the view from up there is incredible

yeah

this is from the floating island above it when you do the riddle

oh i didnt notice because of the time of day lol

is this now a pseudo-genre in itself, like GTA-likes, Minecraft-likes, etc?

I know BOTW is significantly different than the entries that preceded it, but I’ve pointlessly limited my exposure to discussion and media of it, so I’ve been a bit startled by the idea that it’s inspired such clear imitation.

Does it really represent some major new type of design in a series, like GTA 3, Symphony of the Night, {placeholder for another example but I haven’t eaten enough today} and… uh, Zelda 64?

I guess the last major example of that was “Souls-like”, which I thought never got more than half-a-dozen applicable titles, but apparently it’s a matter of some polite debate and bitter argument…

I guess I’m half seriously suggesting it. It’s more that I can see a handful of similarities: big open countryside, natural physics and elemental simulation, hang-glider, colourful art style.

I think if you can count the number of games in a genre on one hand it’s probably not a true genre.

Souls-likes are funny because so many of them only superficially resemble Souls or are ‘omg so hard’. Souls games have pretty incredible level design and worldbuilding which are both hard to copy so there aren’t a lot of competent ones.

3 Likes

important update: i found a library and you can sit in it and take a picture

10 Likes

this game is reminding me how a lot of my taste in games can be summed up as “anime dopamine loop”

9 Likes

lmao giorno and mista’s VAs play Rival Twinks in the JP voice track and i’m losing my mind every time they show up together

playing a chinese game in english with japanese voice acting is a first for me, maybe?

2 Likes

i played a load of this the day it dropped, and then nothing. i picked it up again this weekend and it really is cool. there’s obviously more level gating than botw has, but if you push a bit harder you can find some really cool stuff.

the big criticism i have for it, other than the gacha is the whole “you gotta level up your level level to level up the levels before you can level up” thing

3 Likes

I’m adventure rank, uh, 27? 28? and my characters who are uncapped to phase 3 are still 40 and not the phase cap of 50 and when doing the abyss gate, even enemies with 10-15 levels don’t pose a threat and I can do the challenges as long as I play smart and abuse the elemental stuff

with that said, yeah, leveling up weapons and artifacts and talents and getting lucky enough to unlock constellation stuff makes a decent difference

the more I play, the more I’m finding it hilarious that they give you Amber so you have someone to light torches

I might be biased because I rolled Fischl (an electro archer) and Xiangling (fire spear cook lady)

i was playing as noelle and occasionally when she starts dashing, she says “someone needs assistance!”, which is pretty cute

are bow users just bad? Amber is only situationally useful and ime Lisa does everything Fischl does except with autoaim & better aoe

I imagine this doesn’t matter until you’re trying to do hard content, but I think Fischl is considered top tier. Probably because she can set up her electric raven for constant status effects and then you can switch to someone else who’s just more effective in combat in general.

Are archers the only class that can effectively hit weakpoints? Do weakpoints even matter over constant DPS via character switching?

ohhh ok that makes sense. i keep forgetting that summons & buffs persist between swaps