Games You Played Today ##RELOAD

what is… game?

1 Like

i have tetris syndrome from playing lumines on my phone so much. i want it to stop. i’ve been playing wwe bejeweled also i think about what gems would best make booker t do a scissor kick. i want that to stop even more. i don’t dig it

I think it’s like swag

Wow the magic academy third trial in Pier Solar fucking blows and the internet agrees with me.

It isnt quite Drakengard 3 final boss but it is one minute of Drakengard 3 final boss which is still horrible.

oh my god shovel knight is so wonderful and it is giving me life rn

5 Likes

It’s so good. I was very suspicious of the retro thing but playing it is a joy

I think that’s because there are so many retro games that just kinda suck But Shovel Knight is an awesome polished game.

there’s a lot of SB cynicism with shovel knight but you get to join my cool clubhouse, sleepy

Is there?? i don’t recall it getting a lot of buzz here, negative or positive. Which seems nuts to me now that i’ve played it.

i don’t know how you could argue against its quality even if you were burned out on retro 8-bit/16-bit aesthetics. Unless you didn’t actually play it.

(i am not burned out on those aesthetics. i’m pretty judicious about games i play that utilize them though. my touchstones are Cave Story and Spelunky so this is just another one for the hall of fame imo)

Like. SK’s influences are on-the-sleeve obvious, yet at no point has it felt derivative or fawningly referential. It blends them together into something that feels new and laudable on its own merits. it also just makes me smile and smile and smile

2 Likes

my problem with shovel knight is that it looks like it was made thinking about how many level design videos on youtube it would inspire. it plays so clinically “right” that it could’ve been designed by robots.

1 Like

idgi

I was contantly yellin’ during SK at how good the level design was as I played it. The Plague Knight DLC actually dwarfs the original campaign in quality imo, especially in regards to how it experiments with avatar movement. Your choice of “weaponry” directly affects how you traverse obstacles, as well as how you confront them. I’m so pumped for the new DLC I’m ready to scream.

Shovel Knight is technically better than so many games. It’s like the San Antonio Spurs.

I hate the Spurs

5 Likes

i can kind of sympathize with people who feel like the game is playing them rather than the other way around, i certainly get that a lot with other games

you have to be willing to come halfway with what any game is offering you, and if you are shovel knight is fantastically well-made. if not, it will probably come off as a bit too much ‘by the book,’ asking you to say ‘how many times’ when it says ‘jump’

i think it’s a great game personally

I finally did make that thread, a week too late. So here’s my take on Conan Exiles: (NSFW!) https://selectbutton.net/t/nsfw-barbarian-dongs-the-conan-exiles-thread-image-heavy/3969

SK has this

and this

i can’t get on board with thinking of it cynically, sorry

Yeah, I usually like my media when it says more about the maker than the receiver, but that’s me.

i definitely felt like shovel knight was a bunch of blunt nods to obvious inspirations and i don’t like it very much

however it is occasionally brilliant

Man! Man!! Man!!! i just don’t get those kinds of vibes from it at all!
but, ooookay. i’ll agree to disagree.