Games You Played Today ##RELOAD

They can’t because Nintendo isn’t allowed to do anything cool.

After complaining about my Wii emulators I’m discovering my PC emulators all now suddenly have a problem with me, whether it’s filters or resolution or just refusing to acknowledge controllers for different reasons. Also both my front usb ports may be shitting out on me.

Despite that, I found myself playing through both FF1 and FF2 on the Dawn of Souls GBA remake. It’s a pretty solid remake for casual consumption. It’s a given (especially on here) that DQ1 remains spotless and enjoyable despite the passage of time. FF1 is no DQ1, but y’know, it’s ambition remains quaint. Six possible characters to pick for a team of four, a big world requiring the acquisition of multiple vehicles to traverse, and a…really hamfisted time travel plot. It’s cute. The Dawn of Souls version only took me about 15 hours to blow through, too! I actually played the glut of that over the course of a night/day while wrestling with my sleep schedule. I don’t think I had to grind either? At least not enough to bother me. Really easy to consume.

However, FF2 is exactly what everyone says it is. I told myself I’d probably never play it, but I’m really bad at keeping to resolutions. The stat-raising gimmick, while attempting to be more organic, is incredibly awkward. The most efficient form of grinding requires hitting each other in battle like a Three Stooges skit. Just having an awkward system would be fine, but because of it I never knew where I stood in regards to the progressing difficulty curve. I’m doing zero damage in this dungeon, but I can’t tell if my attack is too low, my weapons are too old, or the enemies only accept magic damage. In other jurpegs, it’s easy to intuit where your resources are lacking, but here it’s always vague. I have low MP because grinding for magic is difficult when it’s a limited resource. Spells level up independently of each other and of MP itself, so it’s easy to suddenly run out over cure spells that barely heal you anyway! During the final battle, only the protagonist was capable of physically attacking the boss! That makes it sound super frustrating, but that part was easy! There’s, like, no balance whatsoever. It’s fascinating. I couldn’t really enjoy it, but it’s interesting stuff.

Also, the plot was copypasted Star Wars. Kids are orphaned by the Evil Empire killing their guardians. They join the rebels and go blow up a gigantic battleship. The evil emperor’s right hand man, the Dark Knight, is revealed to be a corrupted good guy. Chewbacca is there.

Chewbacca’s not there.

3 Likes

Now that I’ve written it out that post feels incredibly boring lol

I had a good time

1 Like

A+ would read again

I’ve never played Final Fantasy prior to IV, but I have played significant parts of DQ 1 2 and 3, so the comparison is interesting. I might have to give the remakes a shot, for historical reasons of course

(that last clause is to make explicit that playing games is not actually fun and should only be done for research purposes)

4 Likes

:waynestare:

If you’re ever interested in replaying DQ1, it’s worth stating that I beat the SuFami remake in a single sitting. It’s all the more appropriate that it can be played on mobile now. Even if the menus are ugly.

Wow Little Big Planet 3 this sure is the same janky pile you released 3 previous times (portable).

2 Likes

I grabbed Total War Warhammer and it sounded like my computer was on fire so I didn’t play it for long. I think my GPU is dying.

got ‘THE END’ on DQ8 and now I’m in the post-game stuff and this dragon is OHKOing people like crazy. I thought I was gonna abandon the game and go back to EOU2 but I’m just grinding there as well so I figured I’ll grind metal slimes in DQVIII and conquer the postgame.
Beat the first floor of Elminage Oirignal and now I can go anywhere in the whole game!

monster hunter 3u (3ds)

its my first monhun

it is 100% My Shit

im obsessed with mastering the greatsword even tho its the weapon im by far the worst at using

3 Likes

Another Let’s Play featuring Chakan: The Forever Man. I love how the overworld layout has a mural-display that tracks your progress whenever you reappear in the center after completing a level creating this ominous scenario once you’ve slayed all the boss-monsters.

The raspy synth textures for some of the tracks are awesome too. Really abrasive, matching the dark Giger-esque themed art direction.

4 Likes

having a lot of fun stealing everything in divinity: original sin

none of the best sandbox games are actually called sandboxes

1 Like

FE Heroes does a surprising amount of good at being the leverage I need to get up and play Fire Emblem when the idea of strategy sounds exhausting. It’s just simplified enough to get me going through the motions. Currently half way-ish through Shadow Dragon thanks to it.

1 Like

I like the PvP in FE Heroes, gotta say.

Might be because I’m using a broken character though.

Can you have multiples of the same character on one team? Would go full Takumi if I could, frankly.

If I was gonna play Final Fantasy VI, what version would you nerds recommend? The original SNES version for authenticity, the GBA version for the script, or…?? some ROM hack?

Well, there is a GBA hack that fixes the sound and colors, I think? That’s probably the definitive version, says me, a person who has barely played any FF6 since I was a kid. There are probably purists out there who insist on the creative liberties of the original localization, but I’m assuming those would be left in as a callback?

1 Like

There are patches for the GBA version on romhacking that fix the colors and sound and restore the best bits of the woolsey localization. Unless you’re allergic to rom fiddling or really love the original evade bug I’d strongly recommend that route.

1 Like

great sword is beautiful

if you ever switch to generations~hmu~

1 Like