Games You Played Today ##RELOAD

I consider it Japan’s answer to MDK. There’s a lot more spatial awareness going on in that game than almost any other Mikami game made before or after. Not as conscious as MDK spatially but far more so than most 3D action games coming out at that time. Hell, I would say most action games miss this nuanced element overall even to this day.

Might be one of Mikami’s best, imo.

2 Likes

The one thing I would change/add to it would be a sideways jump arc the same as the forward or backwards jump so I could shoot at the big lazer turrets and dodge around them at the same time.

That would be rad, yeah.

Nobody hatin’ on Treasure, just on shitty Working Designs hack jobs.

on that subject: http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,23436.0.html is p cool

2 Likes

So, stupid ol’ me accidentally deleted my save game for Baten Kaitos. I was just onto Disc 2, and was attempting to use the drive with the save game on it to create a Wnidows 10 installation drive. Turns out that it does not respect partitions and just formats the whole drive! Without telling you!

So that’s attempt 4 thwarted. I’m so mad.

I think I’m going to start it AGAIN.

This will be the most work I’ve ever put into finishing a game under incredibly stupid circumstances. The second most work was when I played through Earthbound too quickly and got to the end under levelled. I couldn’t beat a single enemy to get any experience points whatsoever, and Giygas kept killing me. I found a Gameshark code that would level you to 99 IF you got any experience points, which I couldn’t do.

So I restarted the game. I was playing on emulator so I could fast forward, but I went through the entire game a second time.

I got to the end and uh

Giygas still wouldn’t die.

That’s when I found out you have to pray to beat the end boss.

Which I could have done the first time.

Anyway, moral of the story: I’m a fuckin idiot and I’m dedicated to a few games beyond reason.

4 Likes

windows installers have never ever respected partitions

you do still need to get through a few phases before this takes effect, and iirc you are still tanking damage after the first few prayers

Would be nice if they told you that, especially if it’s a very clean, user friendly program with lots of big colorful buttons and pictures.

It’s not like I go around making windows installation drives on a regular basis, not sure how I should have known this.

IIRC I actually got to the stage of Giygas (barely) where praying would have worked, and even ended up surviving a few rounds of damage. I think I probably could have done it.

oh yeah I’m not saying “you should’ve known better,” but they’ve literally done this for 20 years, they are relentlessly stubborn about it

1 Like

Forgotten

@GRIMglamfire

4 Likes

I’m playing 90 seconds of various mobile games and then getting sick of them. It’s like being on a flash portal circa 2004 all over again.

I couldn’t play Nocturne the other day because the missus was watching the bowl, so on a whim I fired up Banished, which has been languishing on my hard drive unplayed for the last couple years. (Spoilers ahead)

My first town seemed to be going well. I took what I believe was Cuba’s advice and planted a bunch of apples, and everything was going smoothly until everyone started dying of old age. Apparently, building more houses is the key to getting children but I had no idea. Oops. Hilariously, the simulation keeps going even after everyone is dead, so I just let it go for a while and watched the trees slowly return.

So then on my second town I built housing at a steady clip, only to have half the town die of starvation. Oops, again. I went back to an earlier save and this time built at a more measured pace, and seem to have achieved a decent equilibrium. The kids aren’t growing up fast enough to replace the old ones dying, but I seem to have stopped the overall population decline. I never seem to have quite enough firewood, though. Also, what the hell is up with the exorbitant prices on seeds? I want to plant some different crops but can never afford it.

Anyway, long story short, I’m thoroughly addicted to this damn game. I’ve never had the patience for sim city-likes but this I really dig.

2 Likes

same

what a great game

I love Banished. It’s quite peculiar in that it feels somewhat like a roquelike, meaning you can dip in and out without losing track of the more elaborate long term goals sim-city clones seems to be stuffed with.

i just finished Thumper, good game!
I wish some of the perspective twisting mechanics of the last two levels had turned up earlier in the game though.

1 Like

Just finished watching a Let’s Play of Captain Blood for the Atari ST. I’m quite amazed at how successfully the game uses symbols to convey the inputs of the interface as well as a universal language for multiple races across an imagined galaxy. It creates a very alienating experience when travelling unlike most space sims out there; reaching new locations by deducing what an alien from a previous location has vaguely communicated.

It’s like some kind of a maze-linguist space simulator.

The premise of the game is very unique too, I find. Phillipe Ulrich might just be an unsung genius here…

whoa what huh

i’m on this

Bob Morlock is a game designer who has just developed a new sci-fi video game set in outer space and alien worlds. While testing the product Morlock inexplicably finds himself in the spaceship within the game. A hyperspace accident clones him thirty times. Each of the clones departs, taking with him a portion of a vital fluid that sustains Morlock’s life. Assuming the persona of the brave Captain Blood, the programmer tracks down and disintegrated twenty-five clones, spending 800 years to achieve that goal. However, five clones still remain, hidden somewhere in the depths of the galaxy. Captain Blood must find these clones and destroy them before he loses his own life.

Is Captain Blood what Protostar: War on the Frontier was inspired by?

Cool looking but inexplicable interface, impenetrable planetary exploration segments