Games You Played Today ##RELOAD

i have ascended in nethack

never, ever play nethack.

ever.

1 Like

reading longplays of nethack is fun (like apol’s on the old board) but yeah i hate playing it a lot

part of why shiren is so good is that it feels good, the simplification of roguelike elements works great and doesn’t feel like it sacrifices complexity too much. plus it looks really damn nice.

nethack is a shambling wreck of overcomplexity. yes it’s funny that you can be overburdened and fall down a flight of stairs into a pit full of poisonous spikes but it also plays like ass and it feels like there are too many shitty little variables to keep track of. At least with something like Dwarf Fortress that’s the whole point (and i love DF’s weird unsung roguelike mode).

Hey all, thought I’d grace my first post with what I’m playing right now:

Super Crate Box.

Man, what a tightly packed game with a rich gameplay loop. Makes you realize how little you need to make an exhilarating experience.

Thanks for having me.

8 Likes

super crate box fucking rules yeah

1 Like

I’ve been playing bushido blade

I feel like I will never understand some of the mechanics but want to play the sequel for sand attacks.

2 Likes

Welcome!

I am currently on hour 40ish of Dragon Quest 8 3DS. While I’ve really enjoyed playing this, and I will beat it, and I am happy that I can say that I’ve beat a JRPG and beat a DQ game, the game is starting to feel like it’s overstaying it’s welcome. I’m having a hard time imagining how everything will wind up in a neat little ending and I’l feel satisfied. At this point the game is something of a chore and I resent it.

I tried out a bunch of games on my new (used) PSP Go:
God of War - atrocious. “I’m invincible” button-mashing enemies, then a QTE boss.
Crash Bandicoot 1 - camera angles. crate boxes. “naughty dog”.
Wipeout Pure - Who enjoys this? I’m just slamming into the wall, sometimes I can shoot a projectile but I can’t see it really when it shoots. I guess it would be fun if I was a master at it? The music was cool.
Silhouette Mirage - I wanted to like this but it seems like a Mega Man clone with a gimmick that I don’t understand? presentation is bad. In all fairness, I skipped the tutorial.
Shiren 3 (translated from Wii) - it seems exactly the same as Shiren 1 SFAM/DS except there is more of a narrative (unskippable) and sometimes I have a partner (who wastes items on trash monsters) and it’s low-poly (cool).
Burnout Legends - I always wanted to try the PS2 racing game where you intentionally crash your car for points. In this game, AFTER you crash, you can push a button to make your car explode. Everything looks really shabby. Awful pop-punk soundtrack was the straw that broke the camel’s back.
Zanac x Zanac - I don’t know, I guess I just can’t play a shmup any more. The whole idea of NOT always shooting is stupid - why don’t the ships auto shoot? Is the game about dodging? Touhou is more of a pure distilled experience.
Salamander Collection - You can’t even control your powerups like in Gradius?
Harmful Park - it seems good but I just didn’t enjoy playing it.

holy dismissiveness batman

wipeout has a higher learning curve than a lot of ther zero-g racers but it’s great

2 Likes

Protip: shoulder buttons

It’s somehow not nearly as good. I can’t remember why.

:waynestare:

1 Like

Yeah, play the tutorial. Also look up how the US version got kinda slaughtered.

which version is the best? saturn, psx j?

Not sure on the differences between the saturn and psx versions, but the US version notably jacked up the prices on all the weapons, basically making them not-buyable without a lot of extra work that just kinda turns the game to tedium.

1 Like

i want to say they threw more enemies at you and increased boss damage and health, as well?

Wouldn’t surprise me. Vic Ireland had a bad habit of messing with variables in silly ways.

I faintly remember something about getting hit with like color drained your energy instead of doing nothing in the jp version. I want to say that made one boss harder than it needed to be since you couldn’t attack without energy and had difficult enough patterns that it was easier to ikaruga style eat bullets instead of actually dodge.

who’s hatin on Treasure in my swamp

After deciding the emulators on my Wii are unsatisfactory (my heart is broken I just want to use my CRT without much frustration) I started getting the urge to stream my playthroughs again. Problems with this include 1) anxiety/exhaustion and 2) shit is probably really boring

I blame my mom for always telling me I would improve game culture with my positivity

I like watching your streams

1 Like