Games You Played Today ##RELOAD

nobody believes me when i say shiren is one of the best roguelikes

but it totally is

1 Like

Who on earth are these nobodies??
Everyone i know who’s played Shiren absolutely loves it

1 Like

yeah, sleepysmiles said exactly what i was going to post. my friends that like roguelikes all love shiren.

Thirded. It’s the only roguelike that I came close to completing, too.

As did I, sorta… (Sensei kinda killed that dream), yes
I know you’re talking Supra-Fami…

Shiren is probably the best roguelike. I’ve only played about 10 hours of the version that came out on the Vita; it’s been glorious so far though.

If I got an email from my missing wife of three years to come get her from some farmhouse in a louisiana bayou that a google search on would turn up a bunch of missing persons reports I think personally I would want to show up with more than a printout of her email in one hand and a flashlight in the other

3 Likes

yeah, for straight roguelikes the only thing I really like better than shiren is crawl

Brogue for me. Shiren and Brogue are basically the only roguelikes I like anymore

1 Like

I have Shiren on the DS and it’s flippin’ fantastic

Like I pirated it at first but then I was all no this needs my money

In theory I like Brogue better than Crawl but in practice I play way more Crawl. I think there’s a part of me that just likes to chew on bloated complicated games. Also explains why I played League of Legends for so long and dabbled in DotA.

1 Like

Same here. I prefer arcade-style pacing and actually nice-looking art in my roguelikes.

See also: Silent Hill 2

Brogue is extremely excellent as well. Probably my second-favorite roguelike, thanks to offering a relatively distilled experience. Crawl third.

(I don’t count Dwarf Fortress as a roguelike.)

I’m usually all about “the quicker, less complicated version of [thing] with several years’ game design hindsight” but I’ve always found brogue a little too simple and crawl not terribly overcomplicated.

I find shiren a little too simple too tbh (and less playable due to the SNES controller, and I’m uninterested in the stuff that persists between runs)

shiren 5 is a lot more complex than shiren 1 imo

count me in for not really being a brogue fan, i always felt like the game decided too many things for me and i was just kind of dancing to its tune

By the same token, you can’t just do the same effective build over and over in Brogue. I’ve never been too hot on games where I have to force gameplay variety even if it’s somewhat suboptimal to do so. I appreciate getting strongly nudged into a stealth build one game, an ally build the next, etc.

honestly 9 out of 10 games of brogue were ended to traps for me, and your ‘build’ didn’t feel very relevant in the face of that

like it’s cool that you could have different ways of doing the same things but the real threats were always the same and dealt with in the same ways

I don’t think this is an effective criticism of crawl because you can just pick a random different class/race and you’ve effectively forced gameplay variety. I agree it’s a problem when it’s something you have to actively engage in but “choose a different seed” doesn’t really count?

i really love all the wildly different ways you can play Crawl based on your character race/class. It’s def my favorite non-Shiren roguelike too and i think it falls more on the arcade-y side of the spectrum (can’t really tolerate Nethack-likes, they feel to me like Sierra adventure games except all the item placement is randomized)