Games You Played Today Oratorio Tangram

silent hill 1 is so fucking good, jesus

1 and 2 are both good but i find myself gravitating to the first one more

i don’t know there’s been another game in which i felt my goals aligned with those of the player character more than sh1

4 Likes

I played a bunch of stardew valley and I liked it until I realized I’d missed out on a bunch of spring stuff once summer hit. I’m going to start over at some point but I dunno this game might be too much like work.

I just wanna fish all day, really.

Also I got the submarine dlc for sunless sea and it seems like there’s a bunch of new content to explore but once I got the sub I didn’t really feel like playing any more.

I am fickle I guess.

Eh, with Stardew Valley you have the next Spring time to do that stuff. Not everything is unlocked in the first year, either. It won’t feel like work if you’re not agonizing about being the most efficient.

You’re right of course, but that’s just how my brain works. For a game about relaxing hangoutitude it sure does stress me out some times!

Oh also, I got dragon’s dogma on sale for PC and it’s finally clicked with me which is good because it’s the third time I’ve bought it. :relieved:

1 Like

I used my Xbone to emulate a 360 so I could emulate a Genesis

I am conflicted and a little excited and I demand at least one more layer of abstraction

1 Like

I think the silliest I ever did was OSX -> DOS -> GBA -> NES

not sure another layer is logistically possible

You’re forgetting about the simulation you’re already living in

6 Likes

Finally picked up Va-11 Hall-A through the Steam sale yesterday. Man! This game is good! I like mixing drinks, and I like chatting with clients about whether I know what they want more than they do, and I like that you’re ‘distracted’ at work when there’s something you wanna buy but couldn’t for whatever reason. I gotta go back and play “Night of the Corgis” before my next playthrough, although I kinda like only being able to speculate about what happened.

1 Like

holy shit yes

ive beaten EarthBound like 5 times and somehow this is the first time i’ve ever gotten the sword

Also, somehow i always forget how dark and weird this game gets!

7 Likes

I played some single player Fighting Layer last night. I’ve loaded the game up a few times over the years but never really clicked. Not sure why it made more of an impression this time, perhaps it is getting the newer GroovyMAME with Portaudio correctly setup after running an ASIO-less build for a year or so, but this game is buttery smooth and tight. I don’t really understand all the systems, who cares one of the mid-bosses is a shark. Fun juggles and super cancels. It’s got an interesting auto-wakeup-reversal system that I don’t quite fully understand, but a neat idea.

I like the stage map overlay that shows your progress before each fight; you get branching paths based on which/whether you defeat certain gimmick bosses. I even like the delightfully annoying Spanish vampire final boss. Good fun time, makes me more excited in the eventual sequel teased earlier this year.

2 Likes

I love aquarium levels in fighting games. I’m sold.

1 Like

stuck on the final story mission of armored core! gotta figure out the optimum weaponry to bring along

Shark battle makes excellent use of 3D space. Totally not doable in a 2D fighter.

so hype for fighting layer 2

what’s the good mame build these days?

https://mega.nz/#!Qt1QFA7D!VhUgOrwgiw05YwpUHvEaQRRAN2WjlLBgntjHdwOjNv0

This is a 64bit build of GroovyMAME 0.186 with the D3D9ex rendering ported back in (also has “nag” screens patched out, for better or worse). The trick latency-related mame.ini settings are:

video d3d
sound portaudio
sleep 0 (mileage may vary)
priority 1 (mileage may vary)
audio_latency 1
pa_api Windows WASAPI (or Windows WDM-KS)
pa_device none
pa_latency 0.003334
frame_delay (use a number from 0-9, simply: higher the number lower the possible latency but requires more CPU; prob doesn’t work right on LCDs iirc)

and then some other stuff if you’re going to run on a CRT with CRT_emudriver, but you’ll want to do some independent fiddling there. May or may not have to tweak some of the other defaults for best-case LCD usage, I haven’t done any reading up on that?

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,151459.0.html

Here’s Calamity’s main thread for official GroovyMAME/SwitchRes updates.

2 Likes

GroovyMAME is the build with black frame insertion support, isn’t it?

I need to mess around with that again and also get my monitor up and running at its strobing refresh rate

Yeah, it can do black frame insertion. I’ve never messed with it.

y’all my work week is over and I’m eating a double decker grilled cheese stuffed with 3 types of vegetarian meat with tons of fries and doing shots of cheap vodka and playing shutokou battle 0 with the music off on my crt tv while I play the wangan midnight soundtrack on the other tv and I am. truly. living my fullest life rn

17 Likes

this game is hard, don’t drink and drive y’all

1 Like

Nintendo Badge Arcade thing has a really sweet credits sequence at the moment. The annoying rabbit goes through and explains all the roles and things. Feels pretty earnest.

1 Like