Games You Played Today Oratorio Tangram

I found out Kolibri was not released in Japan.

They missed out on possibly the finest hummingbird based shooter for the Sega 32X.

大高級のスーパー32Xのハチドリ風シューティングゲーム。多分。

3 Likes

Wow. That would be like if Mother 3 was never released in the US

4 Likes

I started that recently too, on a sharp whim to see what makes it so revered. But decided I can’t play much else til I wrap up Billy Blasts Nazis (2014)

this is really well said

2 Likes

Oh hater, what are we going to do with you? :man_shrugging:

audience laughs and applauds, closing theme plays and the credits roll

This thread was recorded live at nickelodeon studios in Orlando Florida

5 Likes

It is OK, not terrible but not great. the 3dness of it makes it real tedious and some of the special combos are just downright busted and you can beat nearly every enemy in the game when you get a certain one. When you beat the game once tho, you unlock a far better version which the ps2/ps4 whatever version actually makes fun with a new mechanic. So your first playthrough might not be great but the second one most likely will be.

Does the PS2 version have Riku mode

yeah i was trying not to spoil it tho

i play a lot of things but it just doesn’t feel right to talk about them here anymore. not sure why. ok, it’s probably because all i have to say is speedrun-y stuff and it just seems too niche. i’ll guess i’ll give it a shot. here’s a game:

Wave Race: Blue Storm
I guess I’ve helped revitalize this game’s speedrunning community. I brought the NTSC and PAL champions [edit: out] of retirement, fostered the community and created a moderation team, revamped and centralized the leaderboards, reworked and rewrote the category rules, and improved or pressured others to improve (by beating their times). I’m really happy with this.

I have a major friend/rival in speedrunning (the_androgyne) who is definitely a wee bit better than me overall, so every time I get a WR he beats it. It’s pretty funny, lol. We have a good back and forth on some tracks but he generally edges me out in the end.

You can check out the leaderboards here. You can see what they looked like last year here.

20 Likes

I support you in this game that crushed me.

3 Likes

i’m actually working on a tutorial (series) for the basics of speedrunning the game. if there’s anything you’re curious about, let me know, i’ll try to cover it

I didn’t know you were that deep into speed running. Good job all around! maybe I’ll catch you stream it someday

We eat this kind of shit up are you kidding, post away

5 Likes

I beat Darker Side

that was it? I was expecting more but it kind of peters out after that first bit

since my Switch was on and I download demos for some reason, I played the Sushi Striker demo

it doesn’t seem like a great game but it’s a fucking cool game

(it is literally referred to as the Struggles in a later scene, so, yes, this dumb kids cartoon puzzle game has the Troubles)

16 Likes

oh my god

finally

5 Likes

Filtering seems like a weird misnomer for this. In my mind the word implies a separate pass/operation (“put a filter in front of the result to transform it further”), whereas we’re just talking about two methods of determining the color on the main rasterization pass. Because of the lossiness of “unfiltered” raster, it’s even in theory impossible to do bilinear interpolation as a postprocessing step on a downscaled texture.

In the last decade, I’ve rarely heard this word used to describe it – “sampling” and “interpolation” have become the common terms of art. I think at this point it’s a legacy 90s term used to describe the most obvious effect of installing a GPU in your PC at the time.

2 Likes

OpenGL still refers to texture sampling minification/maxification settings as filtering.

Texture samplers are specific units that read texels, not the act of sampling itself, which has a bit more nuance to it overall.

unfortunately I cannot separate the terms I learned in graphics classes from the jargon I learned reading '90s EGM

I think filter is a decent word to describe the visual effect but a bad word to describe the procedural work.

4 Likes