Games You Played Today Classic Mini

on its own terms it’s an excellent survival horror game. it does not get boring/repetitive like RE4.

I mostly wish it was more of a pure horror experience like 7 was, but as its own thing I love it.

4 Likes

ah, that’s a shame. marking all the doors and the rooms that still have stuff to do in them is super helpful.

for psvr, i doubt i’ll play it that way just bc i bought re7 on pc some time ago and i don’t quite have the computer for oculus or vive. i think i was exactly at the minimum required back when the rift first came out, so vr is probably not gonna be reliable.

It’s easy to pick up and play as one the very best remakes (like 1’s) around, updated to modern qualities without losing too much of what made the original great and memorable. As a mega RE vet my only complaints relate to it feeling lean in a couple spots I miss. Refreshed amalgamate icon for games like Aliens/Terminator/etc for sci-fi/action/horror films.

1 Like

It’s great. I never finished a RE game either, before this one (not for lack of trying). It streamlines and accentuates the good stuff about the series while tossing the bad.

2 Likes

The VO in Fire Emblem Echoes has some really great line readings

All jazzed about the newly rejuvenated Titanfall 2 so I hopped into an Attrition match that dwindled down to, uh, 6 vs. 1. The one being me.

So, uh. So much for that :frowning:

1 Like

I played Tetris 99. It is a joke that stops being funny the moment you play it.

They don’t let you use the analog stick, even though after dozens of hours of Puyo Puyo Tetris on the Switch I’ve concluded that the JoyCon analog stick is a better d-pad than any d-pad on a Switch controller by Nintendo (the JoyCon “d-pad” is literally just discrete face buttons, and the Pro Controller d-pad is stiff and cheap).

The playfield is displayed distractingly huge, which hampers playability. Even Tetris Effect, the most gleefully “fuck your playability” Tetris (and the best version you can buy, since you can’t buy TGM2/3 or Cultris II) has the good sense to constrain the playfield.

The “battle royale” gimmick has the net effect of just playing singleplayer Tetris with continuous random garbage lines added. I don’t think the targeting system can be gamed in any useful way. All the other playfields shown on the side further the impression of this being intended as no more than a conversation piece at a party, or a cute piece of PR for the Nintendo Online service… as in, you won’t actually see them while you play it, and you probably won’t want to play it much anyway.

There’s excessive delay interrupting the flow of pieces so I can’t play it as fast as I would like to. I haven’t pinpointed where and how much exactly these delays occur (line delay, lock delay, the other technical terms) because I stopped caring.

But worst of all is that you have no choice in music besides a bad remix of Korobeiniki and I just can not play any Tetris with Korobeiniki as the only music option and I wish The Tetris Company did not see more potential in diluting their brand with Facebook-app-quality cash-ins instead of visionary interpretations like TGM or Tetris Effect.

edit: I really have no idea how Arika developed this; tossing my hands in the air here.

2 Likes

I share all of the same criticisms except I think the game is super fun

7 Likes

i’ve spent this week getting into the langrisser series, which i find myself liking. so i downloaded the mobile game, which is also fun, and straight up includes maps from langrisser 2 in it.

5 Likes

Let me know if you figure out why I loved the first Langrisser on SFC and yet I loathe Fire Emblem! Because I sure can’t.

it started off on a sega console, making it better by default.

10 Likes

For the past month I have been playing DQ11. I love it. I am in to the post game now and every time I think this game has shown me everything it’s got; I walk into a town and see a new scene, it unlocks a new optional boss, there is treasure that I can finally access, there is always something more.

4 Likes

My wife got a Tetris Royale on her second try and I screamed real loud scaring my cats, so I like the game.

She beat somebody who had 10 KOs, so clearly the targeting can be meaningfully used (She had 3 out of sheer luck, she had just set the targeting to random).

It is kind of a mess but an interesting mess. And it’s free so…yeah i’m fine with it

worse than original re2 and worse than re1, re4, re6, code veronica.

it’s excellent on its own, of course, and quite a delight to play. but at the end of the day, it’s a modern horror game with all the streamlined design sensibilities that it entails. i’m half-way through the game so my opinion may change later tho.

but that is my fringe opinion and I’m pretty sure that for most people, it’s the greatest RE evur.

there’s a demo of the 1+2 remake on jpsn at the moment if you’re interested

1 Like

I’m learning when you’re recording a speedrun, anything that has never happened before in the game will start occurring far more frequently than if you were just practicing. This means in RONIN missing one of the earlier computers, not killing the cyborg samurai properly by baiting them out a window twice, and having to double back to an enemy in the second cyanide room because he would have alarmed before he would have died automatically. I died twice in the end level! And I still beat my previous time!

I’m partly pleased and partly disgusted at myself.

1 Like

X-TREME EXPRESS

a low budget TRAIN RACING game?? i had to read the instructions for this one because the way it works isnt intuitive, but after that i had a lot of fun with it. i like racing AND i like trains! BUT it feels like it’s missing something to really make it a solid game. like powerups or something, i don’t know. but i still like it

MISTER MOSQUITO

another weird game that is mostly fun because of said weirdness and the charm. the gameplay itself really isnt that remarkable at all, but it’s fun enough and the rest of game is carried by the charm

PS1

CROC

a very early, very simple 3D platformer that i still enjoyed despite the clunkiness. just a bit of simple running around and jumping

CROC 2

this seems like a huge improvement at first (especially with controls) but for some stupid reason your lives and health are THE SAME METER so there is lots of restarting loonnnggg levels. apparently the game is rushed and later levels are mostly barren too

SPYRO

i never got the big deal with this game, and now that i finally played it, i still don’t get it. i mean, i guess i do, it’s a solid game and impressive for the ps1, but i grew up with mario 64, so the worlds and design of this game just seems so bland and boring in comparison

4 Likes

Which one was the legend of the gobbos?

the first one

1 Like

i got the laser chainsaw in edf 4.1

7 Likes