Games You Played Today: Actress Again: Current Code (Part 1)

This game was still so neat and it makes me sad how it just died like right away.

2 Likes

the nowheresville aspect of the map is definitely compelling in a weird way - driving around it feels like a funny reversal of the usual open world in that rather than “i can go anywhere” “i can explore it all” etc i’m mostly thinking “i don’t want to go anywhere” and “i’m glad i don’t have to actually explore this”. there’s almost a wasteful pleasure in not taking it in, should i travel out to [wasteland] today? no… i will buy more wrestling tapes instead.

i remember reading a lot of travis touchdown critique at the time but do enjoy that the game takes a lighter touch so far than i was expecting, playing him as a mostly undifferentiated gruff guy in the mission cutscenes and letting you ponder the shelf of anime figures at your own leisure.

also enjoyed that the mission where you have to mow down a bunch of desert storm attired troops on a beach passes entirely without comment.

7 Likes

once wrote an ill-informed blog post about the usage of boredom on NMH, not even sure where it lives but i’m sure it sucks

but

i do think y’all have it on the nose here, the game is supposed to be mostly boring and mundane, feature not a bug etc.

6 Likes

the original strand-type game

2 Likes

Sure, I don’t love Overwatch but I can respect a lot of the work.

I meant that literally, though – Blizzard is well-known for preferring to hire mega-fans, and Riot explicitly patterned their hiring on Blizzard’s style.

There’s a four way tie for third*! Will that tie hold?

*Two votes have been switched to another game so the tally in the poll is not accurate.

It might be a five way tie now, whoops. Voted for Onimusha

If they all get tied that means you have to play all of them.

sick edit burn on no man’s sky ooooh sick

3 Likes

:eek: good thing Cookie and Cream are there to set an impossible lead.

4 Likes

outer wilds, baba is you, the under presents, elsinore, astrologaster, it’s a long long long list

4 Likes

I’ve only played a little of death stranding so far but is this gonna be like phantom pain where the most interesting part was the prologue and the rest is a mostly plotless game. at least just walking across the world and delivering things is more interesting than mgsv’s far cry 2-esque funneling you through narrow canyons to armed camps afghanistan map though

The lore dumps are most dense near the end, but there’s plenty of little character development between parts that feel huge in a plot sense. I was kind of bummed by the lack of story in MGSV, but I felt pretty satisfied by the cadence in Death Stranding.

Ace Combat 7

5 Likes

no offense but i played about 10-15 minutes of that game for judging and i viscerally hated everything about it. truly one of the most cringey and unpleasant experiences i’ve had with a game. it was soooo twee and obnoxious. i just have a hard time conceptualizing what other people like about that game because i found it so utterly grating.

1 Like

none taken, there’s just something about an incompetent doctor who is harangued by italians and inadvertently sleeps with half his patients while giving them terrible advice based on false credentials that speaks to me

8 Likes

Doom 2 was $2 on switch. This game seems to have WADs. And a quicksave!

Seeing some enemies that weren’t in Doom 1 or 64. Hard/ultraviolence is a lot of fun, tons of tightly packed enemy groups to mow down with limited ammo. I’ve actually had to use the chainsaw at least ten times now. I was playing 64 a level at a time, but just now I ran through five or six.

Also picked up Dark Souls so I guess I’m finally playing that

8 Likes

Double Impact is a Doom 1 wad they included as an add on that I would recommend. It does ammo attrition well and the maps are pretty interconnected(It was made by 2 deathmatch mappers). If you liked “Cat and Mouse” in Doom 64 make sure to check out map 8.

i’d also super recommend No End In Sight among stuff that’s included as an add-on for Doom on the switch, which is a wad for Doom 1/Ultimate Doom (like Double Impact is). one of my favorite wads in general.

1 Like

based on your description that sounds far, far more appealing than the game i actually played, lol. it contains nearly every trope of the hyper-twee “polished”/“prestige” AA indie game of the past few years in the book. what i played felt like watching someone on stage and all they’re doing is doing a stage wink to the audience over and over again for 10 straight minutes. i honestly don’t need a game to remind me in the loudest possible tones how clever it is every single second i’m playing it.