Games You Played Today: Actress Again: Current Code (Part 1)

The last time I played through Rez, I was out of practice but I was still able to shoot down a lot of the enemies. Which of course meant that I got the hard versions of the bosses, and those versions sure can be intense.

I still like original Rez better than Area X or Child of Eden, but I’m glad there’s more Rez-like content in the world (that whale/bird part in Child of Eden is great–all of Stage 2, really) and I hope to see more in the future.

6 Likes

Played some more Yakuza 0 last night with our COVID bubble friend over and she observed that I was trying to chase down Club Venus (as it was the last item on my available cabaret club opponent list, I hadn’t really thought about it further) when I’d actually already defeated them (Chika was already on my roster, and starting to level up a bunch), turned out its somehow possible to miss a cabaret club? Oops! So then, with something like 30,000 total fans, it was back to taking on Club Mercury :woman_facepalming:t2: lmao

This game is so good, and the cabaret club mini game is so addicting to me (and that music! jamming the entire time) that I can’t really be frustrated but I do wish the game made it a bit clearer where you’re at in that progression when choosing an area to target!

5 Likes

I want to thank everyone who recommended Guilty Gear Xrd to me. My friends and I have been digging into it much further than any other fighter we’ve tried. I think it shares something in common with Smash Bros in that movement is emphasized and characters are all distinct. I’m amazed at the balance the game struck by being approachable but highly technical. I still haven’t settled on one main fighter because I like so many of the different styles.

3 Likes

yeah stage 2 makes me cry. this alone puts child of eden above most other videogames for me, way above rez.

2 Likes

Felt like playing a horror game for Halloween and wanted to start going through my DS back catalog, so I’ve been hanging out with Dementium. Out of all the Nintendo innovations, touchscreen DS controls is the one that really works for me. It feels so intuitive somehow, much more precise than using tumbsticks at times.

Dementium also runs at a buttery smooth 60fps on my old DS Lite, which is amazing. I don’t want to oversell the experience but it’s much more atmospheric than it has any right being and is more Doom influenced than I anticipated. Before mobile really came on the scene, the DS was crushing it. I consider the earlier days of its lifespan to be one of the best periods for any system. So many uncelebrated gems came out on DS during that time.

3 Likes

I’ve been too lazy to write, but not too lazy to play video games. So now, you get a double feature!

Fantavision!

I’ve had good times with fireworks, and I’ve had bad. There’s a beautiful rush I got when my friends and I crossed state lines to buy an arsenal more potent than sparklers. Roman candles and bottle rockets are definitely too fun to be legal. We were sitting around my friend’s basement and another friend jokingly waved his lighter near the fuse of a roman candles. Naturally, the fuse caught and everyone rushed to open the door. We couldn’t open it in time so he shot the first fireball into the carpet. Then we made armor out of cardboard and dueled in the backyard. It’s a testament to our collective good luck that only a carpet was permanently maimed.

There is a plane of skillful play in this game that feels totally inaccessible to me. I mean, I was able to complete all the stages in the normal mode, but that’s nothing. I tried to dribble and juggle the sparks but I kept detonating too soon. I couldn’t get a daisy chain above four. I thought about how well I would do if I just focused on one stage. My max combo there was 35. The high score is something like 250? I don’t even know how you’d be able to contain that information in your head.

Ridge Racer V

I never enjoyed racing games until I began to drive. Now, they are the most soothing genre for me. In these virtual spaces, I’m free from the paranoia of angry drivers, Trump flag-mounted pick-ups, flat tires, and dead batteries. It’s just me, the music, and the rumble of the Dualshock.

I had a bit of frustration with this one as the game was originally released on CD-ROM. This means that even burning it onto a DVD, I still encountered problems where it would stop reading the disc midrace. Fortunately, I was able to complete several Grand Prix series, but this was an oddly time accurate pain.

The game itself is beautiful. I’m surprised by how much of the structure still resembles the first game. There aren’t much more than four tracks and they are all variant routes in the same city. I respect that focus a lot as the tracks themselves are really well designed and filled with detail. Each car feels different in satisfying ways. I stuck with grip style cars for most of my run and really grooved with the Rivelta Mercurio. I wish the disc worked well enough for me to win Pac-Man, but I’m thankful for what I have.

I’m going to jump back into Evergrace for a bit. While I do, please take the time to vote for the next three games I play. The games of Summer 2000.

Summer 2000
  • Armored Core 2
  • BCV: Battle Construction Vehicles
  • Dynasty Warriors 2
  • Orphen: Scion of Sorcery
  • Surfing H30
  • TVDJ

0 voters

12 Likes

oooh dynasty warriors 2!!! DYNASTY WARRIORS 2!

and ac2 i guess. I GUESS

3 Likes

I have some old memories of riding a tiger?? Let’s go!

uhh… yeah… hold fast to those memories because dw2 in particular is not going to be the one to fulfill them lol

there are horses. yeehaw

2 Likes

I still vote Tekken Tag Tournament.

2 Likes

Interested in the JP version of Surfing H30 because it had a plot about aliens running a surfing tournament and a surfboard attachment that fit on top of your analog sticks I guess like one of these (Yanya Caballista), but both were scrapped (and control scheme altered/worsened accordingly) when it came out overseas.

14 Likes

Died to a boss in The Messenger and the respawn only brings you back with three health. And like, could I, through repetition, skill/luck my way through that boss battle with only three health? Sure, I could.

But I uninstalled the game instead. This is really pure salt on my part but I think I’ve gotten about what I wanted out of the game and the backlog beckons (if I can tear myself away from M:TG any time soon).

4 Likes

More than that the J-plot is that Aliens Are crashing asteroids into Earth to cause the narliest waves.

2 Likes

After about 5 hours, I think I’m done with Total War Troy. Even though in theory it should be absolute cubanip, it turns out what I find interesting about Homer isn’t elementary Mycenaean battlefield tactics. I kind of resent the way modern Total War has refocused the game on the boring strategy layer away from the fun tactics layer, and figuring out “how precisely good are ranged units in this game” has lost its charm. The best TW games are still Medieval 2 and Empire because of their scope and variety.

1 Like

I think Total War tactics is something you can absolutely get a lifetime fill of. The Warhammer games pump a lot of life back in with important, interesting special units. The Three Kingdoms game doesn’t do much with combat but the strategy layer is better than it’s ever been, with readable AI personalities and historical parallels making much, much better post-hoc narratives.

Playing Hotline Miami again for the first time, if that makes sense. I played it and sweated myself to death with anxiety when it first came out. I had undiagnosed anxiety and depression and didn’t know i was NB, and I think this game’s hostility really hit me the wrong way. I loved playing the game but hate-hate-hated the ending.

Now that I’m older and properly diagnosed and out, I’ve got far less stock in my self-image and therefore the idea of the game criticizing me for playing it is a little less sharp and makes me less defensive. But I also don’t think this game is as perfectly designed as I did when I originally played it! It’s interesting.

In any case, I think that Hotline Miami is deconstructing game narratives in an interesting way. It’s very dreamlike. Games are already sort of dreamlike, of course, and I think that taking this dreaminess and leaning into it is a smart move. It’s also very opaque about everything other than the second-to-second play. Like, the grading of your performance, how your score is calculated, what the narrative is trying to say, the ending…none of it makes any sense, or if it makes sense it’s much harder to pull apart than I’m willing to care about. It all adds to this sense of “I can move around and do stuff, but nothing connects together in a meaningful way,” much like a dream.

One of cactus’ previous games (and yes I am vaguely aware that cactus sucks or something, but i think this is worth talking about) is Psychosomnium, a game where the protagonist dies very unexpectedly near the beginning of the game, and the character on the screen takes over as protagonist, and this happens like 5 times throughout the game.

I think that Hotline Miami is playing with this concept of the Wrong Protagonist - the first playable character, Jacket Guy, is acting on behalf of unknown agents and kills the narratively interesting character about halfway through. That is to say, Motorcycle Guy is the one driving the stereotypical Protagonist Narrative, but halfway through the Jacket Guy meets him and kills him without learning anything from him. There’s no narrative satisfaction, because you killed the narrative.

But if you do continue searching for narrative satisfaction, you find out that even the motorcycle guy learns nothing, it’s just a couple of janitors fucking with you. Of course, if you do even more digging, it turns into this nonsense about US/Russia relations. Equally unsatisfying. (At least, this is how I remember it. I have not finished the game again)

So yeah, I think the way it undermines the concept of narratives existing at all is very fascinating. I also think some of the level design stinks, and it’s not nearly as precise to control as I remember it.

Looking forward to finishing it again, eventually.

7 Likes

Wrong. All wrong!

Troy is very similar to this. You don’t even pick a faction, you pick a HERO who leads a faction. Each HERO has his own special epic quest with steps lifted from mythology, as well as a special ability on the strategic layer that affects how you plan your expansion. (I was playing Odysseus and he can have his spies build recruitment stations in enemy cities so he can recruit units while in enemy territory, the sneaky bastard.) They also have special abilities on the tactical layer, more regular ones powered by RAGE (get it, menin aeide thea etc.) and your ultimate super sayian kaio ken technique called ARISTEIA. It’s like they designed this just for me right?

But no. It sucks. Your faction hero can’t die, of course, because everything about the structure of the game hangs on his unique identity. So if you lose he just gets “wounded” and comes back a few turns later. But you know, sometimes your Alexander the Great, victor of a hundred battles, is hanging out on his horse during a quick siege of some minor outlying town and takes a fucking arrow through the throat. It’s not all epic stories of noble tragedy, this history stuff.

I guess that’s what I resent: TW’s slow and purposeful stride away from simulationism. I do not WANT to hit a button on my general’s portrait that instantly raises a unit’s melee attack by 25% or whatever, because that shit is videogamey and stupid. To what purpose is this effort to depict Achilles’ great feats of strength if they are rendered six pixels high while I am trying to manage a chariot charge or shepherd my slingers away from a unit of enemy axemen? Actually in the tactics battles the heroes are ironically the least important units on the field, in terms of player attention; they are insanely durable and you just make sure they’re in the middle of the biggest fighting so you can trigger their abilities at opportune times. No consideration of formation or maneuver.

I hate, hate, hate the way armies are attached to heroes, or leaders. Recruit a leader, who then recruits an army. Can’t make like three units just to bolster a garrison, or a little seven-unit strike force to sneak around and take undefended towns in the enemies’ back lines. Supporting just two armies is an early-midgame move in Troy. Where’s the strategy in that?

If you’re going to give so much primacy to individual people and their superpowers - subject them to little rpg-lite games of leveling up and equipment acquisition - you might as well just make Homeric Final Fantasy Tactics. I’d play the shit out of Homeric Final Fantasy Tactics!

Look, if Creative Assembly made a game that actually attempted to simulate the real historical circumstances of the Warring States period I would love it. I want to know what ancient Chinese combat was like! But if they’re going to do it Romancing of the Three Kingdoms style I may as well just play fuckin Dynasty Warriors.

This is amplified by the pieces of the simulation that are exactly the same and haven’t been fixed in like, 15 years and 10 games. The game still has no idea how to have units interact with fortified walls. There’s still the problem where if you send your men to chase down a fleeing unit, the front rank of your guys will bump in the rearmost fleeing guy and all instantly stop and try to fight him, rather than swarming through the fleeing enemy (non-)formation to cut them all down. This kind of stuff was charming, or at least forgivable when there was so much else to like. Now it’s the straw that broke the horse’s back.

tl;dr I need my Total War games to take their cues from Thucydides, not Homer.

9 Likes

Interestingly they give primacy to ‘Record of Three Kingdoms’ as a choice next to "Romance of Three Kingdoms’ in the game, which de-powers and de-emphasizes hero/general characters. In either respect, the Romance mode works to recreate novel encounters, taken literally: Lu Bu isn’t going to die to some nobody, but neither is he able to turn around a strategic situation that’s completely against him. I’m not going to complain that they’re walking away from simulationism when they were never very good at it in the first place, and when Paradox is out there every day with a very good counter-tack to Total War’s player-centered history.

3 Likes

nah, I hated the Warhammer Total War games because it was like they were trying to cram Warcraft 3 hero units into the real time tactics battles and it just killed what I could enjoy about the game

Honestly weird it hasn’t been done. Whenever somebody threw a spear in the Iliad I imagined a Shining Force attack scene

shining06

8 Likes