games with unusual naming conventions

I still don’t understand the current Japanese indie scene trend of a title like “void tRrLM();” which is clearly supposed to be read as “Void Terrarium”. I guess in the context of a history of games with english titles and katakana subtitles it makes more sense that you can get away with complete gibberish in the “english” title.

I didn’t know the conceit behind these subtitles. I don’t know how that impacts my shameful secret that I like all of them, especially Dream Drop Distance

2 Likes

This must be the interview I was thinking of. So it was more of a whim than a specific concept.

I like how the parentheses explains BBS is an acronym for “electronic bulletin board”.

10 Likes

I didn’t know Nomura was this cool.

5 Likes

The Anno series has a pretty well known and amusing one. See if you get it, the games are:

Anno 1602
Anno 1503
Anno 1701
Anno 1404
Anno 2070
Anno 2205
Anno 1800

The sum’s always the same.

Not all are games, but speaking of Nomura, the parts of the compilation of FF7 were Advent Children, Before Crisis, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus.

Only worked for the first two games, but The March of the black Queen and Let Us Cling Together

In japanese, the Danganronpa games are Daganronpa, Super Danganronpa 2 and Shin Danganronpa V3. The western titles drop the ever-increasing flourishes which makes the V3 stand out more than it was intended (and they couldn’t just name it Danganronpa 3 because that’s actually an anime. If that seems confusing, that’s all part of the plan).

A french series of puzzle/adventure games

Gobliiins
Gobliins 2
Goblins 3

Incidentally, in the first game you control three goblins, in the second only two, and a single one in the third. Eventually broken by Gobliiins 4, which goes back to the cast of the first game.

Mentioned in the dungeon garden thread, the no Heroes Allowed series which only stabilized after the third title:

Holy Invasion of Privacy, Badman! What Did I Do To Deserve This?
What Did I Do to Deserve This, My Lord? 2
No Heroes Allowed
No Heroes Allowed, No Puzzles Either!
No Heroes Allowed VR

In japanese, they are not weird in the same way but still weird:

Yūsha no Kuse ni Namaiki da
Yūsha no Kuse ni Namaiki da or2
Yūsha no Kuse ni Namaiki da 3D (not actually in 3d! the D stands for something else)
Yūsha no Kuse ni Namaiki da G
V! Yūsha no Kuse ni Namaiki da R

The Midwinter games. Technically, due to (I think) rights issues the third one wasn’t advertised as the third, but it’s obvious enough that it is, even discarding that one of the game files is named midwinter3. Observe the progression:

Midwinter
Flames of Freedom
Ashes of Empire

11 Likes

Madden 64 should really have been based on the 1964 NFL season.

12 Likes

My personal favorite for this was

World Soccer: Winning Eleven 6 - Final Evolution (only released in Japan, for the GameCube)

3 Likes

tetris: the grand master
tetris: the absolute grand master 2 plus
tetris: THE GRAND MASTER 3 TERROR INSTINCT
tetris: the grand master ace
tetris: the grand master the masters of round

7 Likes

R-Type Final…2

6 Likes

wtf this is wild

‘final’ fantasy?? more like

2 Likes

Have we reached a point where there’s an established standard of Roman Numeral = new game in series that is not a continuation of a prior game & Arabic Numeral = new game in series that is a continuation of a previous game?

Final Fantasy XI is not the direct sequel to Final Fantasy X, that’s Final Fantasy X-2 (which is read as Ten-Two, unlike for example Mega Man X-2 which is actually X-2)

4 Likes

Worth noting it’s not Mega Man X-2 but Mega Man X2. Speaking of which, many games use the number zero for prequels but has any series ever gone negative?

4 Likes

Notable exception, Mega Man Zero

Damn Capcom is just naming shit all willy-nilly

4 Likes

I fucking loved this game so much

2 Likes

Im disappointed that the Smash Bros naming convention stopped with Melee and Brawl and we didn’t get like Super Smash Bros Fracas or Super Smash Bros Altercation

12 Likes

I’ve heard “ultimate” used by itself as shorthand for “ultimate frisbee” exclusively by white people who have a lot of marital arguments, so I think that one still technically works

9 Likes

who’s afraid of virginia masterhand

2 Likes

I have definitely used ‘ultimate’ as a term before; however, this was well before I was married?

(I also lived with roughly 1/2 of UC Santa Cruz’s ultimate team in a student coop in the late 90s and may have partaken of their regular pre-practice ritual of mushroom tea, nothing can be proven.)

Bonus Shot of Me with my favorite ultimate disc:

7 Likes

yay kalx shirt

amplitude and frequency have good names for rhythm games but they didnt name the most recent one period or wavelength its just amplitude again

5 Likes